Author Topic: Philosophy of Religion  (Read 5253 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Philosophy of Religion
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2004, 05:23:18 PM »
Pretty much. But it does it with a lot of thought behind it. The theory is that a text is basically created anew each time a different person reads it, and each time someone reads it again, based on their context (mood, the knowledge they bring to the book, etc.).

I really like reader response, and most of my classes (except lit crit) are pretty much conducted in a reader response-laissez-faire mode, in which as long as you have something worthwhile to say about a text, your response to a text is valid (i.e., it's not just an "I like what I like" school of thought).

A problem with RR is that it ignores author intent and historical context, however. It ignores the givens of a particular book--though you can interpret some things with a certain amount of leeway, there may be other things that just are what they are.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2004, 05:31:38 PM »
yeah, that pretty sums up my complaints. Yes, I do think there is something different from each reading, and I know that the theory has thought behind it. I just find the final conclusions not entirely trustworthy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2004, 05:46:37 PM »
See, but supposedly in post-modernism, the author is dead.  (at least that's what I've been taught) and any ideas of 'intent' on the author's part is a complete fallacy.

Actually I would argue that a lot of authors write books to be interpreted slightly differently by each reader.

I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm just saying that it makes a lot more sense to me than most books.

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2004, 07:11:15 PM »
I already pointed out that I think each reader has a different expereince with the text. I don't think that makes each reading such a vastly different text. And while it is manifestly impossible to know the writer's exact intent, even if you can interview him, and while there are elements that the writer never intended in nearly every work, it does not mean that his intention is completely irrelevant. That's another idea I reject from critical theory.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2004, 12:58:58 AM »
I hate the arguement on wether or not god exists, because it's is an impossible question to answer and i for dont really care wether or not it exists but believing in a god makes me feel better, so i do it, i dont live my life by religious teachings but i do believe in gods and this gives me comfort, i dont try to make others believe, i dont pitty them for being un-inlightened i just do my thing, so i guess what i'm saying is the best answer to the arguement(in my opinion) is do what makes you happy.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2004, 01:09:28 AM »
Well, it's not impossible to answer. But it does appear that it is impossible to conclude a logical argument with a definite side.

The question, really, in doing what makes one happy, is whether one knows what will make one happy, or if one is just tempted by choices that appear initially appealing.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2004, 01:14:41 AM »
That is an excellent point, but I like ussually tend not to think of because it depresses me, but it is a wiser choice on certain occasions, like wether or not to do momework etc. man i hate homework.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2004, 05:58:52 AM »
Then do it, and you won't have any homework left.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2004, 07:34:36 AM »
once, when I was going through a very depressed stage of my adolescence, my friend pointed out that I should do my homework. I wasn't enjoying myself anyway, and when I finally finished bying depressed, I'd have less of a burden on me and I'd be happier. In fact, the doing of the homework itself would give me a feeling of accomplishment and help.

Naturally I didn't take this advice. I was 17 and refused to be responsible. But I still think it's a good idea. Doing homework will help you more than not doing homework will.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2004, 10:27:24 AM »
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 10:29:45 AM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2004, 10:40:29 AM »
I find that picture amusing, but would have been better placed immediately after I had posted one of my more verbose diatribes.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2004, 05:06:14 PM »
you aer absolutely right about the doing of the homework i have better days when i do do it rather than when i dont, buti still say hard work and determintation always pays off over time, but lazyness always pays off now.