Author Topic: Hello, and a request  (Read 2758 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, and a request
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 12:55:27 AM »
Ruthie, what state are you in? Would you mind LA? Does your husband like manga? Is he a good copyeditor?

Not that my company is the most secure place to work at the moment, but unless they just hire back the copyeditor who got fired a couple weeks ago (which is entirely possible), there may be an opening when I leave...because I'm going to Utah. (And am looking for work in Utah now...*sigh*)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 01:21:54 PM »
Why on earth are you coming back to Utah?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 01:25:05 PM »
Because California is Babylon and everyone knows there's internet perdictions that 2006 is the year that the state will be sunk into the ocean via an earthquake.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Ruthie

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 01:36:55 PM »
Ruthie, what state are you in?

Utah

Would you mind LA?

Um, well, to be frank, California sounds fine to us, but the job would have to pay well enough for us to live on only his income with a baby. I don't want to have to work with an infant.

Does your husband like manga?

Um, I'm not sure, but I'm sure he wouldn't be opposed to it considering some of his other jobs have been editing software technical manuals and marketing reports.

Is he a good copyeditor?

The best. And I'm not just saying that because I love him. :) Okay, you probably want specifics:

1. He practically has Chicago memorized. As in, you ask a question, and if he can't tell you exactly which section it's in, he'll be able to find it for you before you realize he's picked up the book.
2. Doris Dant (editing professor at BYU) called him the best editor she'd ever seen come through the program.
3. A retiring coworker at one of his jobs told him that he probably knew more about editing than she did.

Despite all this, he's humble and nice and funny. But editing is his passion and he really doesn't want to have to take a non-editing job just to put food on the table.

Not that my company is the most secure place to work at the moment, but unless they just hire back the copyeditor who got fired a couple weeks ago (which is entirely possible), there may be an opening when I leave...because I'm going to Utah. (And am looking for work in Utah now...*sigh*)

Yeah, good luck with that. Utah's a black hole for editing jobs right now. Though, you've got more post-graduation experience than my husband does, so you might get more consideration (we both just graduated in April).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:38:06 PM by Ruthie »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »
I'm going back to Utah largely because of Karen's grandparents who need someone to stay with them for a while.

I make $30K a year, which isn't that great to live on around here, though it might be done.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »
Wow only 30k?  The tech support job I just applied for pays that much starting.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 05:46:14 PM »
Welcome to editing.