• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
NWN 2
« on: December 04, 2006, 01:47:48 AM »
My roommate bought this when it first came out then let it to me since non of his PCs can run it shortly after and I finally decided to install it this weekend to test it out.

Some general impressions.

The game runs badly, I've got a AMD 64 chip (about a 2 gig processor), 1.5 gigs of RAM and a Gforce 6600 (256megs of ram) and the game barely runs and yet it looks like a PS2 game, and not even a good one for that.  The music skips all the time, the cutscenes skip, heck the intro movie which is pre-rendered skips and barely plays.  However actual combat and exploring isn't bad, doesn't tend to slow down.  This is on the lowest settings for the game too, which is sad since I can run Oblivion at almost max on everything (just have to turn of one of the shadow types and lower the amount of grass, this game won't even display shadows for me) so it's fairly obvious that Obsidian never got around to optimizing their code, which is sad.  Also Camera controls suck unless you've got a 3rd button on your mouse (I've got a clickwheel that you can push in for a 3rd button but it doesn't work despite the game saying it should) and so you have to use the arrow keys or move the mouse off screen to rotate.

So far just about everything else, except character creation which this series is still about 10 years behind on, is an improvement over NWN 1, though the Voice Acting is still kind of cheese/bad.  But I just can't get over those system requirements and how badly it runs on anything but a $4,000 PC.  I'll probably do a full review of it later on, but so far I like it more then NWN 1 story wise.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: NWN 2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:27:17 AM »
So I played around some more with the settings and found a check box to use the hardware of my Creative Soundcard for sound in this game (which is odd since it's supposed to be used by default which is what windows is set to) and that fixed a lot of the skipping/jerking which must have been sound based, even able to run this sucker at medium detail instead of low and the game, especially the people, look a lot better.  Under low all the people have very pasty skin and look a little sickly in the cut scenes (especially at night) now they don't look like undead and there's actually details in the faces like bulging veins and such.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:55:08 PM »
to be fair, the hardware reqs on the box state that you should ideally have 2.4GHz on your processor, which means you're not there, so slow running is to be expected.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:31:59 PM »
yes, but the game doesn't reflect those requirements in terms of graphics and what's going on in the game, I don't think I've had a fight yet with more then 10 people on the screen (including my own and NPCs).  Also, requirements are a general guideline, you'd be surprised what I've got to run on my Laptop who's requirements were usually half of everything but RAM (1.6 p4, 16meg video card, 512 ram).  Also, all the skipping seamed to be sound related and not graphical which was weird since it's default is different then my windows default (which is to use the CPU for processing sound and not my freaking $150 sound card).