Author Topic: Ransom Note  (Read 3666 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Ransom Note
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 12:49:24 PM »
close that quote tag and it'll work :)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 01:54:45 PM »
So you didn't even get my reference to Anne yesterday? How sad. Do you get it now?

I'd never seen the movie, but I read the book two semesters ago. It's been on my "Movies I Need to Watch" list forever, like Bend it Like Beckham was. MsFish's roommate had a copy of the movie, so that was the "ransom" movie I chose. MsFish had never read the book or seen the film, so she was entirely new to Anne's story, but loved it.

So, since I had read the book, I still got your reference to Anne because I am familiar with her character, though I don't remember that line specifically. Now MsFish and I have to watch the sequel to see if Gilbert and Anne get together!!!
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 03:42:08 PM »
close that quote tag and it'll work :)

Oops. Too much of a hurry.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 03:43:28 PM »
So, since I had read the book, I still got your reference to Anne because I am familiar with her character, though I don't remember that line specifically.

I have a feeling it's a movie line, not from the books. But it's been so long since I've read the books, and I watch the movie at least once a year (have it on DVD), so my quotes are all from the movie.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 04:07:18 PM »
Yes, disaster was in fact averted.  This was good, because Chimera might have choked on the terry cloth.  

Watch out, Parker!  I saw you aiding and abetting the demise of my frogs!  Your personal cloth pets had better watch their backs!
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 04:15:02 PM »
Too late.  Already cooked 'em.

Mmmmmm . . .

Terry cloth.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 04:42:08 PM »
Barbaric fiend!
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 07:40:49 PM »
And by "barbaric fiend" I mean, "did you save me some?"
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »
Okay, so MsFish and I watched the second Anne of Green Gables movie last night. I think it was originally released as Anne of Avonlea, but on the DVD we were watching it was called Anne of Green Gables--The Sequel, not to be confused with the third movie which is called Anne of Green Gables--The Story Continues.

And I think I see why they called them such derivative names--because that's what they are, derivative. They are riding solely on the hope that the people who loved the characters in the first movie will endure the meandering and weak plotlines of the next two. The first movie was excellent. MsFish and I were entranced--we loved Anne's story, her adventures, and her little love interest with Gilbert Blythe. So we were really excited to watch the second movie. We had heard that the third one was terrible, but no one had said any such thing about the second.

We were severely disappointed.

It was the most random, meandering movie we had ever seen. MsFish kept complaining, but I had high hopes that it would work out in the end. Afterall, I *knew* Anne ended up with Gilbert, because they were married in the preview the movie had for the third movie. When it became apparent, though, that there were only like ten minutes left, and there had been no time for Gilbert and Anne to actually develop a relationship beyond what they had told us in the first part of the movie, my hopes dashed.  And then I could not help laughing at the deathbed scene. It was SO soap opera dramatic! And the movie had been so ridiculous up to that point, that it did not earn that deep emotional moment. I started venting at that point--the movie had been long and convoluted and I felt like it had wasted my time and abused the trust the story had earned from the first movie.

Perhaps if I had watched it when I was younger, I would have enjoyed it more. But I was severely disappointed when it was over. The storylines seemed random and unconnected. Everyone had problems and only Anne could solve them. And we never got to see Anne and Gilbert develop a relationship--we saw it with some other guy, in fact, and then she refused him because she wanted to live in Avonlea. But when Gilbert was dying, she suddenly realized what a fool she had been, and that she had loved him all along, even though she had brutally refused him on several occasions. Okaaaaay. It just all kind of fell flat for me.

MsFish pointed out that perhaps, in book form, the story worked better. Books CAN be a bit meandering--there's more leeway. But it did not work as a movie.

So I am sorry for any of you who adore the second Anne movie. It just did not work for me. The first, I still maintain, was excellent, and I'm glad I watched it. But I will not waste another three hours on the second again.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 03:21:56 PM »
You have not yet learned the ways of a master, young padawan. What you do with Anne of Avonlea (which I will call it, because that's what it really is, says the girl who's been watching it twice a year for 15 years)--you fast forward through it so that all you see are the Gil parts. Takes about an hour. Satisfaction of seeing Gil, no annoyance of the stupid girls' school (which, to be honest, the books rather do, too).

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »
You have not yet learned the ways of a master, young padawan. What you do with Anne of Avonlea (which I will call it, because that's what it really is, says the girl who's been watching it twice a year for 15 years)--you fast forward through it so that all you see are the Gil parts. Takes about an hour.

Meh. That just reeks of effort. I'm much too lazy.  ;)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 09:12:43 PM »
Hey!  I was not "complaining"!  I was mocking.  There IS a difference.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2005, 04:39:40 AM »
Sorry. Incorrect usage of verbage. I apologize.

Please forgive me!!!  :'( (Can you SEE the tears in my eyes?)