Author Topic: Robots and the apcolypse, all brought to you in 3d  (Read 3494 times)

randompixles

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Robots and the apcolypse, all brought to you in 3d
« on: January 18, 2004, 07:05:47 PM »
(A shameless plug)

So I've started this webcomic.

I present for your viewing pleasure: Bots. A tale of really big guns and the robots who loved them.

The actual story is a bit more complex of course, even going into such issues as to whether people are inherintly good or evil. Of course, since every human being is dead answering this question is a bit complicated as you may imagine.

And yes. All of this is in full 3d Computer generated glory, done with about as much flair as I can pull off on a weekly schedule.

So, I invite you to check out
http://www.madbots.com

And if you don't, no hard feelings. Thats what guns are for. *Click*

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Robots and the apcolypse, all brought to you i
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 12:09:55 AM »
Looks cool. I'll read more when I get a chance, but off the top of my head I can say that the CG is impressive. The design of the site, however, was a little hard to deal with--the comic layout in particular is problematic, because it's not immediately obvious where each panel ends and the border begins. But that's minor. The general attitude of the comic I enjoy, and like I said I'll read more later.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 05:27:57 AM »
I like it. The comic format is interesting, and i had no difficulty following it. The story is fairly easy to follow, but kinda strange. The humour was not great. I'd recommend you concentrate more on either the story or the humour, often having both tends to weaken the comic as a whole.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 09:39:23 AM »
Looks intresting, I'm looking forward to checking it out once the story moves along.  The humor isn't that bad, my suggestion is if its a serious comic don't worry about trying to get a joke in every comic.  Also subtle humor could work very well in this comic.

My only complaint is the main site layout/design.  You've oblisly put a lot of work in the comics, but not much on the site.  The white background does not go well with your comic, hurts the eyes.  Also giveing some type of label to the top buttons would be nice, I don't like haveing no idea where different buttons link you to on sites.  Makes you not want to click them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 11:50:36 AM »
ok, my agreements: buttons need labels. Also, why are they flashing? that was weird. I thought the locations of soem of the random grphics was weird too.

As for the comic, I disagree with Entropy and Sprig both. The fusion of humor and narrative is working very well for me. The combination has worked well for several web comics, like Funny Farm, GPF, Faans, and Sluggy Freelance. You've struck a good balance, imo.

Two complaints though: it's too dark sometimes. I can't make out what I'm supposed to be seeing all the time. Give me a little less dark. Otherwise, the graphics are really cool.  I likes. I also don't necessarily follow some of the sequences. Did he get teleported to the desert? Or was that all VR? I didn't really understand what was happening there.

Despite that, I'm really enjoying the larger story. You have a lot of good ideas that you're able to bring up and refer to effectively. Keep it up. This is getting tentatively added to my reading list.

However, make sure you're able to go consistently. THere's nothing wrong with once a week or something like that, just as long as that's the expected schedule. Also, it's ok to go on haitus, just don't go on haitus more than you write. This loses readers.

Anyway, however this post sounds, know that I really liked it. I hope you do more.

randompixles

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 01:51:24 PM »
Yes I completely agree; the website and its design is a problem.

However building the webpage takes some time as I have almost no idea what the hell I'm doing, and right now the comic requires constant attention or we get gaps. The problem with doing a comic entirely in CG is that everything has to get built. If I dont have a character or set ready, we get delays in the comic while I scramble to lay enough railroad down in front of the train.  :)

Since I'm taking about 16 units in school and nearing my degree, time can be an issue. All this is a long way of saying: I'll make a new webpage eventually. But right now its a trade off between a new webpage and actually having a new comic up.

I can apprecaite that some of the humor doesnt work for people. I could try to explain myself in depth, or I could say simply that not everything that seems like a punchline is actually intended to be funny. Some of its just meant to showcase the sheer rediclousness of the situation. Some people will get that and find that funny. Some won't.

Humor in a few of the earlier comics was more forced as well while I got a grip on what I was doing.

In any case, its all a moot point as I have kind of a bizzare sense of humor anyway. If you get the jokes, great. If you don't, thats fine too. The story is almost more important, and hopefully thats enough to keep you interested.

As for the story, my idea was to kind of throw the readers into things along with ALX, and let them figure it out along with him. Maybe that hasnt worked so well. In any case, I do promise that the desert thing will be explained in a few comics.

But thanks for the comments. I will ignor...I mean, implement them as needed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 01:54:07 PM by randompixles »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 02:02:57 PM »
just to be clear, I am following the larger over all plot as well as I think you intended it to be followed. Just that the narrative sequence sometimes seems jumpy and skipped. When there's a flash of light and I don't know where a character is standing, and then you show a machine or something... well... is he IN the machine? Is the machine doing something to him? Is it a cut to another scene?

randompixles

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 03:06:24 PM »
The whole nexus thing:
When he first sticks the plug into his head, there is yes (from his point of view) a big flash of light.
You notice I start the next comic out with my main character's prone body stretched out on the ground with, if you look closely, his eyes turned off.

Also the cord he stuck into his head is now lit.
I figured originally that would be enough of an indicator he was now in a virtual world. When theres a bright glow and he fades into the desert, you'll notice I used the same effect for an earlier comic when ALX entered that download that taught him all about what happend to humanity.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 03:20:47 PM »
ok, that does make sense. Maybe I just read it too fast

I only brought it up because a lot of comics have that problem. They skip narrative steps because they assume the reader is following what the authors is thinking. When usually I'm not familiar enough with the characters to make the jump. What you did, now that you've explained it, I can see it all.