Author Topic: changing my mind  (Read 3746 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
changing my mind
« on: February 21, 2004, 10:01:38 PM »
Ok, so, you probably know that I've always said Arwen over Eowyn. And I like brunettes over blonds anyway.

but I'm watching the appendices for The Two Towers.

Miranda Otto (who played Eowyn) is HOT.

I think, perhaps, she is more fine than Liv Tyler. I think I'm changing my vote.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: changing my mind
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 10:27:10 PM »
I think she's much better looking than Liv Tyler too, so I approve of your change in opinion.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 11:12:16 PM »
My vote has always been for her--and I also generally like brunettes over blondes.  Liv Tyler...well, she just has this 'I'm trying too hard to appear sweet and innocent' look about her.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 11:12:33 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 11:45:32 PM »
I would consider being sad and despondant that so many guys I know don't like blondes, but I fear that my being married might negate any sympathy I would receive.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 12:17:05 AM »
So I'll be sad and despondent instead, fuzzy, being a fellow blonde. Will they give me the sympathy instead?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 12:31:58 AM »
Perhaps.  I will help, and be sad and despondent on your behalf.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 06:59:05 PM »
First, let me noted that I hope I would never use hair color as a major deciding factor in a potential relationship.  However, there are just certain natural attractions people feel.  (I think I might have ranted on something similar to this in a thread some time ago, but I can't remember.  So, onward!  You all like to hear me pontificate anyway, don't you.)

I've often considered my own preferences when it comes to feminine appearances.  I think my concept of 'beauty' has, in large part, come as a reaction to what mainstream entertainment tells me I should prefer.  

Ever since childhood, I've been conditioned to believe that buxom, blonde women are 'ideal.'  However, the media generally portrays them as being...well...intellectually unimpressive.  Yet, I believe that this attribute (lack of intelligence) is meant to be as much an attractive feature on these women as their hair-color or their large chests.  For some reason, the tone of media entertainment has historically implied that vapid women are more desirable.  (Probably some male power thing.)

Yes, there are exceptions, and yes this has been changing recently.  Still, I sense this kind of undertone to our culture that says 'yes, we'll praise the intellectual woman because it's PC to do so, but we all know that men are more attracted to dumb women.'

I am not attracted to dumb women.  In fact, I am VERY attracted to intelligence.  Examining my own unconscious drives, I think that perhaps my preference of small-chested brunettes comes because I link these attributes to intelligence.

Yes, it's silly.  However, guttural drives often are.  (Note--Glasses also = very attractive.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 06:59:28 PM by EUOL »

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 08:06:55 PM »
So true EUOL. On that last part. Jenny showed me her glasses wednesday. Man those things were hot. Bifoculs. Just wow. I don't want to jump the bandwagon and say I love this woman, but man do I love this woman. Woo woo for pontification!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 11:27:20 PM »
it is currently hip for glasses to be hot. Geek hot. Like LIsa Loeb. Rowr!

I haven't thought why I like brunettes. I think it's because I like to be so counter culture though. Plus, I knew I would marry a brunette eventually, so I guess I just looked for that.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 11:43:32 PM »
Well I've always gone for dark hair, though my mother spent most of my life telling me how much she wants red-headed grandchildren.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 12:17:35 AM »
Personally, I just go with Shakespeare's attitude:
"...and her hair shall be <pause> of what color it please God." (Benedick in Much Ado about Nothing)

This, of course, after Benedick has just laid out a list of all the things the woman he'd fall in love with should have:

"One woman is fair, yet I am well; another is wise, yet I am well; another virtuous, yet I am well; but till all graces be in one woman, one woman shall not come in my grace. Rich she shall be, that's certain; wise, or I'll none; virtuous, or I'll never cheapen her; fair, or I'll never look on her; mild, or come not near me; noble, or not I for an angel; of good discourse, an excellent musician, and her hair shall be of what color it please God."

And EUOL, there are PLENTY of intelligent blondes in the world. You're in company with two of them right here on this page.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 12:21:21 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 12:24:39 AM »
My 2 cents:

Glasses = Teh Hot!
Brunettes = Teh Hot!
Eowyn = Teh Hot!

That is all.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 12:57:11 AM »
See, JP, that's good.  We like postiveness.

I guess what bothers me is that people are always like, "Oh blondes have it easy because they're the stereotypical beauty."  But it's not really that way.  First, there's the blonde backlash that you two mentioned - you're sick of it, so you like to "go against the flow".  And second, anyone can dye their hair blonde, but you can't fake a dark sexy exotic look.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 05:07:56 AM »
And EUOL, there are PLENTY of intelligent blondes in the world. You're in company with two of them right here on this page.

I think if you read my post again you will see that I never suggested that there aren't intelligent blondes.  In fact, the tone of that particular rant was meant to imply that I was annoyed at the media for wanting me to believe that particular fabrication.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 12:34:51 PM »
Is hair color really that important?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy