Author Topic: review: The Island  (Read 3938 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: The Island
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 11:17:53 PM »
Too late he's allready filming Miami Vice which, by the way, he was a producer of the tv series or something like that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2005, 12:15:05 AM »
I request ninja monkey to rectify this predicament.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 12:00:32 PM »
You have to admit, Miami Vice is the one property that Michael Bay is actually kind of suited for.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »
Well, Michael Bay is also suppose to be working on the Transformers movie.

Transformers deserve someone more competent.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 10:10:09 PM »
Michael Bay is not doing "Miami Vice," nor did he have anything to do with the series. You're confusing a bad director with one of the best out there - Michael MANN, creator of "Miami Vice," as director of such films as "The Last of the Mohicans," "Heat," "The Insider," and most recently, "Collateral."

Mann is a brilliant film maker, and while I never watched "Miami Vice," I am eagerly awaiting the film.

Bay, on the other hand, might not even be doing "Transformers," which may not even happen at this point.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 12:01:56 PM »
I watched Mohicans recently. Wierd film. It might be the quality of the tape i was watching, but it felt very... etherial to me. Still, good film. That final fight scene was as powerful as I remembered it.

It needed better music though. Some more powerful, epic stuff would have done wonders.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 02:36:57 PM »
The Mohicans soundtrack is one of the best selling movie scores of all time.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 03:00:47 PM »
Wierd. I remembered it as being slightly muted orchestral. Again, probably the fault of the dodgy tape quality :(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »
Yeah, I loved the Mohicans soundtrack. It's a bit repetitive, though.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2005, 06:18:39 PM »
It is a bit repetive, with the main there by Trevor Jones being played about 92 times throughout the movie. But it's a great score, composed by both Jones and Randy Edleman. The theme played during the final chase/fight sequence, based upon a a peice of music called "the Gael" by Dougie McLean, is one of my favorites of all time. I love that movie! I love the fact that all of the characters are doing what they think is right, from their own perspective, and I love the dry sense of humor. There is a sense of nobility and tragedy to this movie that has always stuck with me, and the fight sequences influenced every single epic that has come sense then (I particularly like the way Hawkeye moves swiftly and easily through the battles, almost as if he is slowmotion but everyone else is not, taking out each opponent one by one, then moving and as he cuts a trail to his objective.). I think Michael Mann is a freaking genius.

The only thing that frustrates me about the score is that, in the DVD director's cut, Mann has removed the Clannad song "I Will Find You." Artistically, I see whay he did it  it always felt like something tacked on by the studio - but it's a beautiful song.

Incidentally, back to the subject of Micahel Bay, there is a hysterical editorial, supposedly written by Bay, on this week's edition of theonion.com. If you are unfamiliar with The Onion, it is a newspaper parody, and while it often crosses the line into being too crude, much of it is very, very funny. Check it out.
- Sting

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 09:07:12 AM »
It's at theonion.com, but don't say that I didn't warn you there's a lot of foul language on the Onion, typically. Because that sentence constitutes a warning.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 09:23:46 AM »
Michael Bay is not doing "Miami Vice," nor did he have anything to do with the series. You're confusing a bad director with one of the best out there - Michael MANN, creator of "Miami Vice," as director of such films as "The Last of the Mohicans," "Heat," "The Insider," and most recently, "Collateral."

Mann is a brilliant film maker, and while I never watched "Miami Vice," I am eagerly awaiting the film.

Bay, on the other hand, might not even be doing "Transformers," which may not even happen at this point.

Yep my bad.

Though Mann isn't all that hot either in my mind, Mohicans is the only movie you listed there that I would pay to see.  I have no interest in the Vice movie despite likeing the TV series since I don't care for either actor (Colin Feral or Jamie Foxx) nor do I think most TV shows would make good movies.

I don't know where your getting your info on Transformers but it's not in limbo of any type, though I guess you probably mean since it's not being filmed it's not a 100% thing like most movies.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2005, 11:24:43 AM »
No, "Transformers" is in limbo. The producers are squabbling, the fans are in an uproar, and Bay is talking about walking off the project. At least that's the last i heard from CHUD and Ain't it Cool News. But admittedly, I am not following the movie that closely, sice I have no interest in it.

The tv show to movie genre has produced a lot of crap, but then there's "The Fugitive," which is a classic. I loved Jamie Foxx in "Ray" and and "Collaterall," and I am going to see "Miamai Vice" if for no other reason than to see him work with Mann again.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 11:28:58 AM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2005, 01:00:13 PM »
I loved "Collateral."  My only gripe, and it's a big one and the reason I don't own it yet, is the ridiculous premise that at the end of the movie Jamie Foxx's character would suddenly, as casually as if he were eating a sandwich, outsmart and outshoot Cruise's character.  FOR THE WIN AND THE GIRL, YEAH!!!  

Stupid.  It didn't bother me at the moment, which is why I still say I loved the movie, because the situation everyone was in at the end was somehow "right" but as it ran through my mind over and over again through the following days I just couldn't buy it.  Dang them!

"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2005, 02:41:23 PM »
You know, Skar, I have to agree. I love the movie enough that I do own it, but it does stretch credibility at the end, leaving the realism of the rest of the movie for a more action oriented ending. it actually bothered me more the first time around than on repeat viewing, I guess just because I expect it now.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 02:43:27 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting