Author Topic: column: Nerdery #31  (Read 2603 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: column: Nerdery #31
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
Awesome.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:48:19 PM »
Probably should have added a dice roller to the article
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 07:52:33 PM »
We'll edit it to add one in.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:15:41 PM »
I want more options!

I demand a d1000 roll.

Seriously, nice, fun article.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 08:38:27 AM »
Well, I had more options, but I decided a few of them were not appropriate.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 09:17:06 AM »
I have an RNG written in perl that generates any set of numbers you want, and allows for the "roll the best number and add another roll to it" option. As well as fumbles on the same system.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »
LOL. 42, you are hilarious. That was majorly diverting. I'm sending it to a bunch of friends like myself who, like myself, shot evil-dagger looks at the women walking around with plush animals and flowers and candy. I think my favorite was "My spouse is invisible?duh!" Love it.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 05:54:06 PM »
Just remember that all the stabs are very geek-related in that article. It's not as entertaining for the uninitiated.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 06:08:01 PM »
I think my favorite has to be "I killed Cupid. Do you have any idea how much XP he was worth?"
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 11:56:24 AM »
Just remember that all the stabs are very geek-related in that article. It's not as entertaining for the uninitiated.

Yep, I know. I'm rather "unitiated" myself, actually. (I don't think I've ever even posted in the RPG section before). Still, I knew enough to "get" most of it--and enjoy it. So I sent it to friends who're at least--if not more--in the know than me. It's frustrating, though, how bad I can be at learning the intircate rules of certain types of games. I suck at the new computer games, too.

At last year's CONduit, these gamer dudes in the dealer's room greeted me all enthusiastically, asking what kind of games I like and pointing at a bunch of decks and various video games. Not many people were around, and they looked quite bored. I was fresh meat! "We're starting a new store in Salt Lake.  We're gonna be much bigger and we've got lots of selection," the leader assured me, all smiles.

I couldn't resist giving them a straight-faced, woe-is-me look, saying, "Sorry guys. But, unfortunately, I have GIS." That sobered them up quite a bit, though they looked confused. "Oooh. That's too bad," the leader said; the others gave sympathetic nods. I let them squirm a little before explaining the acronym stood for what I like to call Gaming Ineptitude Syndrome. Then we all just burst out laughing. At least they didn't keep trying to stuff flyers in my hand or get me to buy something right then and there. lol.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 07:30:47 PM »
That's freaking hilarious.  There are some people I so have to share this with.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 07:36:41 PM »
Wow, I can't believe I didn't see this until today. Hilarious. I think I finally have something to replace Entropy's quote with.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »
Excellent choice for a quote, imo.
--Spriggan

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 10:12:44 PM »
It goes well with this quote from Buffy:

Buffy: Being a Slayer? There's a burden we can't share.
Faith: And no one else can feel it. (pause) that said, we're hot chicks with superpowers.
Buffy: Takes the edge off.
Faith: Comforting.