Author Topic: Nerdery 39: Power Creep  (Read 2030 times)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Nerdery 39: Power Creep
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 03:28:53 AM »
Power Creep surely is a good way to sell RPG books, I would guess.  There is a lot of cool new feats in the PHB2, actually most of them seem pretty balanced.  Most of the real good ones have very high prerequisites (there is a new feat called Weapon Supremacy that requires fighter lvl 18 as a prerequisite, on top of like a billion feats, so in the end I think it is actually pretty balanced.  I mean the difference between a 1st level spell and 9th level spell is huge, makes sense for fighter feats to be the same).

The two big problems I think is first, it makes your older stuff obsolete even before a new edition!  Then second, it can throw off the balance if everything isn't creeped at the same rate.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 04:48:27 AM »
42, what exactly is this type of power creep?  Where instead of the PCs getting more powerful, they make the bbeg more of a loser?  Check out the updated 3.5 stats for Juiblex, I think he got "punk'd" cause now he is down to CR 19.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060601b&page=1
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 05:02:01 AM »
Players just getting whiney.

Kind of like those scary nuclear missiles, the "players" get all whiney that they can obliterate the world a gazillion times over so the "designers" start having them dismantled and generally nerfed.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 05:17:13 AM »
Ah, yes makes perfect sense now.  Thx.

I will cross-reference that with its okay to club a baby seal to lower gas prices (ie kill some dude for loot or that last bit of XP you need to lvl); but go up in arms if same seal dies from oil tanker crash (ie avenge the death of "some dude" if another person killed him).

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »
I always wondered, with all these mega-rich magic shop owners with only 3-4 levels in anything, why I didn't just go in and loot his place. I mean, it's not like they could stop me or bring me to justice.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:24:30 AM »
Get a shotgun and you could do that irl.

Why don't you?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:29:38 AM »
because my levels in real life don't compare to my levels in my D&D character. And the guy at the gun shop is probably much better than me with a gun.