Author Topic: Warcraft III  (Read 28130 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft III
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2002, 08:38:47 PM »
1) what are the animations like? how do the graphics look when moving? the piccies i have seen failed to really grab my attention, but near everything looks better in motion.

Done in typical Blizzard style, the models do gain a lot more life when in motion. I think they did a really fantastic job with it, but maybe I'll get 42 to comment on it. He's seen it and is more familiar with that side of things.

2) how good are the skirmish modes? that was a major complaint of mine about starcraft.

Not entirely certain what you mean by skirmish. The skirmish modes I'm familiar with (one player vs. the computer) aren't really spectacular. It's easier to beat the computer 1 on 1 than in Starcraft but only because it does some really stupid things. Computer strategic AI (different from tactical) is pretty unimpressive.

If, however, you mean the battle.net player vs player battles by skirmish, I think it's worlds different (and better) than Starcraft was in this aspect. I spent a lot of words on why I think so in my review, so I will refrain from discussing it further here unless that assertion is contested.

3) what is lag like? im on a 56k aol conection here, so im not holding up much hope, but is it playable at all?

I believe a lot of people play Warcraft III on 56k modems online. They get dropped a lot and lose games because of it, but Blizzard has historically done a very good job of keeping internet traffic down.

4) what is the build tree and research like? aol style (millions of stuff that take years to research) or red alert style (build for 20 mins and you have everything you need).

Not familiar with the aol style you refer to. I don't think I've ever researched my entire tech tree before...it generally isn't necessary to develop all types of units well. To give you an estimate, however, a 20 minute online game pretty much always includes the top tier units. The hardest to reach units require 2 city hall upgrades before you can build thier structures...but that's all you need to do. Those units (gryphons, tauren, chimeras, frost wyrms) tend to be really powerful though. Especially the tauren. Some of them don't see a lot of use. It's technically possible (really stupid, but possible) to start production on your first Tauren 5:10 after the start of the game assuming you start with a basic town hall.

5) how detailed is the hero leveling like? and do your heros get transported from one level to the next in campaign mode?

In the campaign mode, heros carry experience, levels, items, and skill choices over from previous scenarios, though not across campaigns. (Which you don't really notice, as you don't use the same units...except sort of...in one case.) They are restricted in each mission to a particular level, and you don't advance very fast because of it...getting to the high level for each mission isn't a problem at all...plenty of stuff to kill. When a hero levels, they gain hp, mana, small increases to their strength/agility/intelligence stats and damage, and a skill point. This skill point can be spent on 1 of four different skills. The first three are available right away and have 3 degrees of increasing power. The last one is that heros ultimate ability, which can only be selected after achieving sixth level---some of these ultimate abilities are really wild. The Death Knight, for instance, animates the six strongest corpses nearby for two minutes, giving you a huge temporary advantage. The other abilities are less powerful, but can still make a very large difference in how a battle goes. The Paladin's Devotion Aura, for instance, adds 1, 2, or 3 armor to every friendly unit nearby reducing the damage they take. Overall, this isn't a whole ton of variety, especially since all skills can be maxed out at level 10, the highest hero level. The system is simple, however, and is easy to manage in the heat of battle, an attractive feature in a RTS.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2002, 12:53:03 PM »
aol style

argh! i meant age of empires here.
if the skirmish against the computer isnt anything special then i think that i will pass for now. thats the mode that i will play the most.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

GuJiaXian

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Christopher Kugler's Home Page
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2002, 12:58:42 PM »
I agree.  Online gaming just doesn't appeal to me as much as it does other people (probably because I hate having my butt handed to me routinely by 12-year-old pimply kids with nothing better to do).  With rts games, I prefer the single-player campaigns, and Warcraft III, while not bad (at all), just isn't anything special.  Except for the cgi movies...

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2002, 12:24:48 PM »
I did some of that butt-handing this morning in a one vs one match. It takes some doing, but it really isn't that hard to beat the 12-year olds once you get the game down. Most of them are pretty unimaginative and in their zeal to become better rely too heavily on imitating the techniques of the masters of the game when they're incapable of pulling the same stunts off as the top-ranked players.

At any rate, the point I was trying to reach in my article wasn't that Warcraft III online gaming is for everyone, just that it's vastly superior to any other RTS online gaming I've seen.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

GuJiaXian

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2002, 05:42:28 PM »
Really?  If Warcraft 3 is the best in online rts gaming right now, the industry needs a swift kick in the pants.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2002, 12:57:38 AM »
I thought we already established that you don't like RTS games. Warcraft III really is a lot of fun, even if you didn't enjoy it.

On a side note, I tried a skirmish mission with the computer in which I teched to taurens as fast as I possibly could. The computer attacked me just as I was getting the first few out, but they were strong enough to drive off the weakling orcs and trolls the computer had brought with them. If it had been a human player rushing me, however, the pain would have come a lot sooner and I would've been in a bad way. Still, if you got away with it, having taurens in the first 10 minutes of the game would be scary in multiplayer.

GuJiaXian

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2002, 01:08:33 AM »
They would, yes.  But all the computer (or other player) would have to do is build gargoyles.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2002, 12:00:45 PM »
There's a counter for everything in Warcraft III. Pointing out that there's a counter for something isn't terribly useful. Besides...gargoyles do no real damage...they're one of the worst units in the game. The tauren could level a base before the gargs killed them.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2002, 12:43:00 PM »
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-08-31&res=l
this is an old penny arcade strip about War3 adverts. good fun.
oh and saying that you dont like a game due to losing online is a bit silly.your going to get that in any game until you get good (since the 12 yr olds are generally crap) so just practice and then the problem will disappear.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2002, 06:39:56 AM »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2002, 05:05:47 PM »
These people really should have known better. If Blizzard ever had any patience with cheaters and hackers, it ran out with Diablo II. To me this isn't even all that big of a news item. Just another mass banning of idiots...it's going to be routine for Blizzard for a while I think.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2002, 04:46:08 PM »
Miscellaneous note:

Some guy made the 1500 wins mark recently and got the Deathwing icon, a cool-looking black dragon. It's people like these that make me feel like I have a life. ('only' 212 wins so far)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2002, 12:20:12 AM »
Being as my computer has fallen behind most minimum specs I don't keep up too much with what are the most fun PC games out there.

I was wondering if WC III has withstood the test of a few months.  I don't seem to hear about it nor NWN much anymore despite the early hoopla.

Are these games still popular?

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2002, 12:17:13 PM »
I've become very disenchanted with NWN. It just can't do all the things I want to do with it.

And I just bought WC3 this weekend. I'm halfway through the Undead (second of four) campaign, and all I can say so far is:
I like StarCraft better.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2002, 12:51:42 PM »
That's fast, Tage. I guess this means you haven't finished Oddworld. (Or that you haven't slept since I saw you Saturday afternoon).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net