Author Topic: Geek Girls Survival Guide #2  (Read 4454 times)

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
Re: Geek Girls Survival Guide #2
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 03:59:34 AM »
I was in a group with a slightly different problem. Two gamers were boyfriend and girlfriend, and somehow, through many different campaigns, their characters always ended up in the same tent. A minor issue, but still a little weird.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 04:11:52 AM »
As my GM's fiance ;D I always try to get him to tell me what's going to happen, give me cool stuff, etc. After all, if you're not cheating you're not trying hard enough, right? Unfortunately he doesn't go for it... In retaliation I once went and screwed up his entire campaign by siding with the bad guy and trying to kill of the other PCs (I was one die short! One! It's still painful to think about.).

Anyways, that girl at Dragon's Keep mentioned in the article wouldn't happen to have been tall, blond, and fairly skinny, would she?
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 09:12:25 AM »
I think that, in time, the entire population of Utah will start posting on these boards >_>
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 09:15:41 AM »
I would not be suprised in the slightest if that happened (So far we're going strong), though it would make even the registered users a little (understatement of the century) anynomous.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 09:31:34 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 12:35:50 PM »
Also, now our GM is a girl.  And she's married to a player.  And she definitely has fun picking on Mr. M, though no more than the rest of us, I don't think.

I've been in this position.  That was a great campaign, too.

I've been trying to get Ari to join in a RPG for some time, but she's really not keen for it.  *sigh*  Can anyone else help convince her that RPing is fun?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 01:45:50 PM »
MsFish can!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 06:09:56 PM »
MsFish, go get Ari to understand RP is fun!
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 02:58:29 PM »
After much discussion of wardrobe choice, ("I don't want to look too cute!" says Chimera. "Weird guys might look at me!") I finally convinced her to accompany me to downtown Provo to the nerdiest game shop around: Dragon's Keep.

We managed to make it all the way downtown and park on the street outside the store before the fear became too much for Chimera.

"I'm not going in," she said. "There's going to be scary people. I'm not going."  In any given situation, there is a quota of freaking-out beyond which everyone else just needs to be calm. At that moment, Chimera was eating up the whole quota all on her own. I had to be the brave one.

I deny everything.

Okay, maybe I did say that. But, honestly, it wouldn't be "freaking out" if I came up with rational fears.

Game shops are not as scary as they seem, and if they are, you can always follow Chimera's example and follow it up with a trip to Old Navy. It seems trendy clothes banish the gaming taint. Or so she tells me.

And I did insist that we go to Old Navy and TJ Maxx afterwards. Shopping is great therapy and nerd-combatant combined.

I think she's in denial, but don't tell her I said that. I'll bring her to the nerd side yet. Just wait and see.

Bring it on, MsFish. I dare you to try!  ;D ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 10:27:31 AM »
ok, things I have to mention:

Victoria's Secret: it's much easier to go in if one of the retail workers is a cute girl you know likes you. And if you're brave enough to joke about people trying it on for you so you can see how it looks.

wife/gf gaming: Most wives, (whether you guys like it or not) are actually the ones who initiate the co-op between their husband and themselves. My main experience with this is strategy gaming, actually. We have a couple over and play Risk/Settlers/Whatever. Other wife thinks it's not nice to attack her husband. He reciprocates because if she feels that way, he'll end up on the couch if he acts otherwise. Other wife also thinks there's some kind of female solidarity thing going on. MEaning she won't attack my wife. Who does that leave? ME. My wife, on the other hand, has no such compunctions about assaulting her husband. Thus, every game of Risk I've played on a couples' night out has turned into me against three other players.

Good thing that, at least while living in Wymount, most of the other players sucked.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 02:33:55 PM »
Vaj--The girl was sitting down, so I don't remember if she was tall or skinny, but she was blond and had her hair in a ponytail.  This was probably a Thursday night a couple weeks ago.  

JadeKnight--Umm, I'll see what I can do.  Have her read my next column.   ;D

Chimera--I accept your challenge.  You are warned.  
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:34:28 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2005, 04:47:40 PM »
See, I've never had this "GM's girlfriend" problem, because my GMs have all been married to players, so it was more a GM's wife thing,  and if anything they went harder on their spouses than on the rest of us.

What, me? Hard on my wife's character? Never... ;)
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2005, 05:15:30 PM »
Ari would have no qualms about thrashing me, to be sure.

In fact, we played Settlers with another couple the other night, and Ari was particularly mean to me.  =þ

And MsFish, I'll try.

MPlease

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2005, 08:51:57 PM »
Vaj--The girl was sitting down, so I don't remember if she was tall or skinny, but she was blond and had her hair in a ponytail.  This was probably a Thursday night a couple weeks ago.  

So very likely me since the other girl that frequents the keep has darker hair. That's hilarious.  ;D
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2005, 09:13:50 PM »
That IS hilarious.  Next time maybe I'll go over and say hello.  Do you remember what you guys were playing?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

MPlease

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 02:16:12 AM »
A couple options, depending on when exactly you were there: D&D with me just watching and harassing the guys playing since I'm not in their D&D group, Warhammar with me "helping" my fiance ;) ,  a Riddle of Steel demo, or Munchkin - although this is unlikely since we haven't played Muchkin there in forever.