Author Topic: boondocks, yeah or neah?  (Read 1542 times)

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
boondocks, yeah or neah?
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:13:16 AM »
If any of you watch adult swim on sundays, there is a new show called "the boondocks".  Wondered what people thought of it, that and i also wanted to make a new thread.  
    I liked the nice anime animation for the show, but the show was kind of hit or miss for all their jokes.  It was pretty racist like the promos said, but some of the jokes were funny but i was just kind of intrigued by what the story was more than laughing.  
   Sunday is usually the comedy night on adult swim and this show seemed kind of out of place, (maybe putting it on saturday with the other action/drama anime).  I am glad that time was put into animation after a stint of low budget animation shows (12 oz. mouse, squidbillies,etc.)  All and all, I will probably check it out next week to see what unfolds in the story but i am not sure the show is going to stick around for a long time.  Now if they could only bring back some golden oldies into production, (home movies, samurai jack).  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: boondocks, yeah or neah?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 08:45:20 AM »
I turned it off after the first 7-10 minutes, its not that funny and very stereotypical racist on both whites and blacks.  If I'm going to watch a politically charged show that wants to tackle racism and like things I'll watch Southpark instead, it's smarter, funnier and makes fun of Stereotypes instead of embracing them.

The show is supposed to be funny, I read lots of reviews saying it was simpson's funny but it's not, the animation is good it's done by they same animation house that did Cowboy Bebop.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 09:28:26 AM »
1) Boondocks isn't in the action category because it's supposed to be comedy. It is, after all, based on the joke-a-day newspaper comic strip of the same name (and headed by the same creator)

2) I could have told you it was going to be racially charged and not necessarily funny by virtue of the fact that it was based on said comic strip.

3) I didn't watch it, for the above reasons, and because I don't have cable.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:47:35 AM »
And I would just like to add

Kill Whitey!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 11:53:13 AM »
The reviews I read said that it was very hit-or-miss on the humor aspects. According to the reviews, it's political humor that really isn't meant to be funny all of the time.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 01:07:51 PM »
Did you write "yeah or neah" on purpose to be ironic, or did you mean to write "yea or nay"?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 05:27:41 PM »
I like "yeah or neah," it's more apathetic.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 10:04:14 PM »
more like,  YEAH!!!  or neah ( wasn't sure how to write it, i think it might be nah, but not meant to be nay).  

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 01:24:28 PM »
Ah, okay. Makes sense. I just see so many people misspelling "yeah" as "yea" that I got reverse-confused...

I suppose "neah" is as good a way to spell it as any, since "nah" would tend to rhyme more with "spa" than with "yeah."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

cyan10101

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »
like, neah, i will pass on that.  or do you want something to drink?  neah.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 03:29:36 AM »
I just see so many people misspelling "yeah" as "yea" that I got reverse-confused.
Or people spelling "yay" as "yeah."  I hate that.  Grrr.

(On the other hand, I am loving Mad Dr. Jeffe's Fizzgig avatar.)
~금강산도 식후경~