Author Topic: So what is everybody playing?  (Read 23348 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: So what is everybody playing?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2002, 03:08:20 AM »
Slant,  could you give some more details on LOTR?  I've read many a review about the game and it seems like everyone says the same things:
1) It nails the setting in both presentation and mechanics
2)  The system structured very much like d20
3) Nice game, but what can I do?

The third point hits home with me.  While a creative GM can always come up with some type of fun adventure, there's little justification for such without a lot of work and stretching of belief.  I mean the Fellowship has already done most of the cool stuff...what's that leave the PCs to do?  Most players don't like to take a back seat to the real heroes.  

Still, you've seem to have found a good way around the problem by running in a different Age.

I'd like to hear your thoughts b/c I've debated picking this one up since it was released.  I'm actually supposed to be playing in a game the day after The Two Towers is released so I guess I'll find out the pros and cons one way or another.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2002, 05:06:29 AM »
Playing LOTR early in the Fourth Age is not really a solution to the problem of setting in the LOTR game because Tolkien's introduction to the Fourth Age doesn't sound like a very fun place for gaming.  The elves have crossed the seas to leave men running the show, and dwarves have retreated into their mountain homes and cut themselves off from the outside world.  Wizards have left Middle Earth as well.  From what we see in the end of Return of the King with the departure from the Grey Havens and the scouring of the Shire, it also looks like magic has faded altogether and the Industrial Revolution is looming large on the horizon for Middle Earth.  With elves, dwarves, and wizards effectively out of the picture, what do you have left in the setting that provides the spark for heroic adventure?  At the end of the trilogy, Tolkien effectively kills everything that makes Middle Earth wonderful.

I'd be interested in hearing what fixes you've found for this problem of setting because it is the biggest weakness of the LOTR RPG in my opinion.

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2002, 05:38:36 AM »
you could have the dwarves returning to moria or some men going into the east

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2002, 11:42:08 AM »
Um...have Sauron win? Resurrect Beleriand? Go east of Mordor to where elves and men first awoke? The question is hard, and if you do some of the things I suggested, you almost may as well make up your own setting and just toss Middle Earth, but there's still potential out there.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2002, 12:26:54 PM »
Therein lies the problem, Prometheus.  The one reason to choose this fantasy RPG over the slew of others out there is to play in Middle Earth.  

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2002, 01:33:39 PM »
dwarves in moria, it's the simple answer that GW used.
Dwarves at the lonely mountain during the war
Elves of Lothlorien assailing Dol Guldur(these all happened and were only vaguely hinted at)
Gandalf's adventures(like the thorin thing in Dol Guldur)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2002, 01:54:16 PM »
I'm suprised that Slant liked the game as much as he did; as you may remember from my review of it, I was underwhelmed. The biggest problem, however, is the one you're already addressing--how do you fit an epic campaign into a tightly defined universe? Other than that, I have to admit that the game itself, especially the races and the Orders, are very evocative and sound like a lot of fun. Add to that the fanboy factor, and I'd love to play it some time (the week after the movie is released sounds pretty ideal, actually). But it all comes back to story. If someone can come up with a sensible way to run a story in Tolkien's world while still keeping it Tolkien's world, I'll be sold. Goodness knows Decipher didn't even try.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2002, 04:16:35 PM »
Well, this is my reasoning for adventuring in the Fourth Age:

Remember, elves are immortal and dwarves live for hundreds of years, thus they do not have the sense of immediacy that humans do.  The elves do leave middle earth, but it might take centuries for all of them to do so.  An elf might decide to take "one last look around" middle earth before he leaves and it may take him two or three centuries: inconsequential to a being who will live forever.  The same with the dwarves, to a point.  Also, since dwarves are still around (just not as visible) there is no reason why a player can't play a dwarf who decides to leave his mountain home for some reason (revenge, remorse, broken heart, even clautrophobia.  c'mon people, it's only a game).  Magic is still around, only it has grown more subtle with time to the point where eventually only those who know what to look for will be able to see it.

And let us not forget that middle-earth is still only a relatively small portion of the entire world of Arda.  The Easterlings have vast empires that span far into the deserts.  The Haradin also control huge areas of land that you cannot see on most maps of middle-earth.  It takes many decades of fighting between Gondor and their enemies before peace is finally declared, and an entire campaign can be set up around this rather sketchily detailed period of time.

And then there is the BIG picture to look at: Valinor and the Undying Lands.  This land mass takes up an area far greater than middle-earth and in the Undying Lands magic is the rule rather than the exception.  You can play an entire elf-based campaign here with high levels of magical power that focuses on rivalry between elvin houses that has gone on for tens of thousands of years.  Not only that, but members of other races HAVE been allowed into the Undying Lands: they just can't go there solely on their own volition, even though Bilbo and Frodo (and presumeably others) get to go through invitation.

Remember, the Shadow can be subtle and even the holiest places may be tainted by a misrepresented evil.  There may be no orcs in Valinor, but even the deadliest orc army pales to insignificance next to the threat of a millenia-old Noldor who is slowly but surely losing his grip on sanity as the centuries seem to slip by him unnoticed.

In short, I disagree that the Fourth Age is a poor setting for gaming.  A creative games master with a good (but not slavish) grasp of Tolkien and a crew of enthusiastic players can make the magic come alive again if they are willing to blaze new trails unimagined (or at least unwritten) by the series' creator.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2002, 09:23:30 AM »
i reccomend the atlas of middle earth, it has great maps of places throughout middle earth and the undying lands throughout the ages. Some useful setting stuff could be found there

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2002, 03:00:09 AM »
Another great read is "Creatures of Middle Earth," an oversized paperback that you can generally find on the bargain table of most Waldenbooks or Borders.  It gives brief but very comprehensive information on all of the races, monsters, creatures, and peoples of Middle Earth.  If you want to know about Haradin, for example, just turn to the entry and you will find pictures, history, customs, attitudes, and pretty much all else you would need to come up with NPC's for such a setting.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2002, 07:23:07 AM »
do you mean characters from tolkien bt David Day?
if so the info's good but the map at the beggining is very, very wrong

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2002, 07:09:45 PM »
The group I am in has been playing the D20 Dragonlords of Melnibone most recently, and we just finished up a Star Wars D20 campaign that I was GMing.  We have also done Palladium, but I think that is going to be on hold for a while.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2002, 03:07:38 AM »
Woo-hoo!!!  We played our first session of Lord of the Rings today, and it rocked!

The setup is ominous in it's simplicity.  Years ago when the Witch King was still a mortal man and had raised the kingdom of Angmar as his bastion from which he warred against Arnor.  He controlled orcs, hill men, the walking dead.  In time Angmar fell and the Witch king became the Lord of the Nazgul.

What history was unaware of, though, was that the Witch King had a secret apprentice: a power-hungry man who gave himself over to the Witch-King in exchange for the secrets of sorcery.  For decades the Witch King revealed his secrets to his apprentice, all the while blinded as to his follower's true nature.  When the apprentice eventually rose up to usurp his master, the Witch King was faced with the chilling truth: his seemingly youthful follower was actually one of the unaccounted for Wizards of the Istari who had sought to learn and master the foul arts of Sorcery and Necromancy that were forbidden to his kind.  The wizard was far too powerful for the Witch King to destroy, so he magically imprisoned him deep beneath Angmar.  When Angmar fell, the wizard remained imprisoned beneath the earth for thousands of years.

Then, during the end of the War of the Ring, the Lord of the Nazgul was slain by Eowyn.  With the Nazgul's spirit finally gone forever from Middle Earth, the wizard was no longer bound.  He escaped from his confinement, wasted in body, but still powerful in mind, and slowly gathered the orcs and hill men that still resided in the area to him and began to rebuild Angmar anew.  With the wizards and elves gone, and magic on the wane, the wizard plans to restore Angmar to it's former position of tyranny.  As a side effect of his return, the pent-up powers of dark sorcery that had kept him alive all these centuries have been drifting across the countryside causing the dead to rise and instilling wrath and black hatred in the hearts of all that surround Angmar.  Small towns and villages have come under the shadow and the people literally turn upon their friends and neighbors in fury, killing those who they had loved and leaving only mangled bodies and silent buildings.

Of course this is all happening in the North.  The people of Rohan and Gondor have no idea what is happening as of yet.  In the heart of Gondor, King Elessil has finally won his wars against those who had once served Sauron.  After forty years of battle, Gondor and Rohan have a shaky peace with Rhun, Umbar, Harad, and the neighboring territories.  The king has established outposts in many areas of Middle Earth, and there is one in northern Rhudaur that he has not recieved any reports from in over three months.  He sends a scouting party (the group) to investigate and to bring tidings that the war is finally over.  In an effort to establish peaceful ties amongst all the kingdoms, he asks each territory to chose an ambassador to take part in the mission.  Leading the expedition will be a prince of Harad, glorious and deadly.  Along with him will ride a horseman from Rohan who has never known a true home, an Easterling witch-woman, the son of an Umbar corsair who was hanged for acts of piracy against Gondor, a dwarf who had distinguished himself during the war against the East, and a sharp-eyed Gondor sentinal to act as the King's representative.  A mysterious elf who has chosen to stay in Middle Earth for her own reasons asks to be taken along, saying she wished to stop at Lothlorien upon their return to see if any of her kin still dwell there.

On their way, they are ambushed from the river by Dunlending bandits angry over Rohan's new position as trusted allies of Gondor.  The elf calms them with music and kind words, avoiding a potentially deadly conflict.  When they make it to the outpost, they find the soldiers and merchants all dead, slain by orcish hands.  From the keep they see an orc tribe coming towards their postion, alerted by their fires.  They battle the orcs with arrows from inside the keep, not realizing until it is too late that the slain men have risen as walking dead.  Caught between the undead in the keep and the orcs outside, the party seeks to take their chances with the orcs. The dwarf, Kosit the Fell-Handed, takes it upon himself to divert the walking dead from the rest of his companions and engages them himself.  Once outside, the rest of the group battles the orcs and wins, though many are gravely injured.  it is then that they notice that their dwarf companion never made it out of the keep.  They make for Korj, a small town a day's ride East of the Old Forest, and berate themselves for acting like cowards.  they vow to return to the keep and reclaim their companion's body for an honorable burial.  After preparing magics and fiery arrows, they take the keep, only to discover that their friend has become a wight who seeks their heads for their perceived betrayal of him.  They burn the dwarf, averting their gaze in shame as their one-time companion goes up in flames.  They reclaim his armor and weapon, and head East towards Erebor, the home of the valiant warrior-dwarf Kosit the Fell-Handed, to return them to Kosit's family.

People, PLAY THIS GAME!!!

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2002, 06:25:25 AM »
wow, that is a well thought out setting

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2002, 01:50:15 PM »
An excellent plot-line.  Keep us posted on how things are going.
Boogie woogie woogie!!