Author Topic: To say nothing about the dog  (Read 1565 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: To say nothing about the dog
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:31:49 AM »
I should try to read this again someday, but I need to get a copy with non-muddy print. I can't read books with unclear type anymore, like the version of this I got from the BYU library long ago.

I liked half of Doomsday Book--every other chapter (the ones in the past). I didn't like any of the characters in the present-day part. They were all really annoying to me.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:24:00 AM »
Yes, DOOMSDAY BOOK was frustrating in part because the present-day people were so clueless and irrational, so it felt like she stretched that part out more than was necessary, just so it would flow with the past-storyline. But it all resolves well at the end, I thought, and got less frustrating.

By the way, I should have mentioned that the title, NO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG is a nod to the Jerome K. Jerome book THREE MEN AND A BOAT: TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG, which was written during the same time period that Ned was in when he was in Victorian England. It's supposedly a very funny book, but I haven't read it.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:45:19 AM »
I particularly liked the bit where he says that the reason the Victorians were so repressed was because they couldn't move without knocking something over.
~금강산도 식후경~

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:59:11 AM »
Ned's comments were pretty funny all around. Victorians were repressed because they have all this ridiculous stuff crammed into their rooms. Yeah. Makes one wonder...
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:36 PM »
I love this book, and the Jerome K. Jerome book it references is quite funny as well.  It's kind of the same humor you get in Wodehouse or Gilbert and Sullivan.
If I had any clue, would I be here?