Author Topic: Must be my lucky day  (Read 7240 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Must be my lucky day
« on: August 03, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »
     Ok, so my dad works for a cellphone company. And my mom gets a free phone that she carries with her. But she always either leaves it in the car or leaves it turned off. If it is turned off it still might be fine, but she doesnt check her voicemail either. It would even be better for her to say "I don't want to be interrupted by someone calling me" and leave it at home so I would know that I couldnt call her. But no, she decides to just take it along and not use it whatsoever.

Oh yeah, and my cd player decided it didnt want to work anymore, it might just need cleaning, but who knows?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Must be my lucky day
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 05:00:34 PM »
I would just like to say that I love anyone who refuses to use a cellphone.  Maybe it's just the Luddite in me.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 05:01:54 PM »
You should show your mom the "vibrate" feature of her phone. That way, she'd know when you call, but the ring wouldn't interrupt something she's doing, and she could see she missed your call if she didn't feel the vibration.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 05:12:04 PM »
    She knows about it I am sure, but I am sure that being interrupted isnt the reason that she leaves it off. I am going with stupidity on that one.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 05:14:26 PM »
Or enlightenment.  One of the two.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 05:16:57 PM »
actually, I'm going to back up HoM on this one. Especially since, well, whenever I hear a teenager use the word "stupidity" in reference to their parents it pisses me off.

If she always does it, then why do you try calling her?  It doesn't sound like she's the stupid one here.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 05:17:33 PM »
But like I said, if it was enlightenment wouldn't she just leave it at home?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 05:20:45 PM »
she doesn't want anyone stupid using it, possibly.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 05:21:38 PM »
    Always was a figure of speech, she does it inconsistently, and by the way my dad and my brother both have the same problem. My dad is obviously not going to call her stupid, my brother does, just not online.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 05:22:45 PM »
Not necessarily.  Although I do personally think that cellphones are vastly overused, and I don't see a need for the average citizen to own one, there might be a very valid reason for her to take it with her: in case of an emergency, she might want to make a call.  Her prime reasoning for having a cellphone may not be --get ready for a shock-- so you can call her whenever you want.

www.robisonwells.com

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 05:22:54 PM »
    Why would I use it? We have a phone at home, plus I am not very social, the only person I would talk to is gone right now, and she knows it.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 05:24:28 PM »
what it comes down to is that it really rankles me that you'd call your mother stupid, when I'm willing to bet lots of money she's much smarter than you. And even if she isn't, she damn well deserves your respect, even when she hasn't done what would be most convenient for YOU personally.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 05:26:51 PM »
I like where this is going.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 05:27:05 PM »
 Â  Whatever, when my brother got a cell phone and she couldn't get a hold of him, she gets really mad. Because she says that she should be able to keep in touch in case she needs to tell him something. Shouldnt it be a two way street?

SE it isn't the inconvenience that I am mad about. Oh well, but it doesnt seem logical, and I hate that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 05:28:38 PM by Archon »

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 05:28:55 PM »
The fact of the matter, Archon, is that parents and children are not equal.  I can't speak for your mother, so I don't know her reasons exactly, but no: life isn't fair, and fair isn't even.

SE, you and I are sounding like grumpy old men.  Back in my day, we had to use the pay phone!  In the snow!

www.robisonwells.com