Author Topic: review: Innocent Mage  (Read 2566 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Innocent Mage
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: review: Innocent Mage
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »
Very solid review. I agree with most everything. Although, I'm surprised you didn't mention the Scully-Mulder style romantic tension between Dathne and Asher that leaves one feeling a bit frustrated. (By the by, I thought her name was spelled "Dathne" not "Danthe" but maybe I misread it all those times. Could you check on that?)

Anyhow, I did feel like the action was there, but it was more along the lines of subtle political changes rather than big things. There is one big, big event that I'm trying to remember if it happened in the first book or the second. Darn it, I'll have to go look at Awakened Mage when I get home, since you have my copy of Innocent Mage.

But, yeah, a good book and the second is even better. More on-the-edge tension and the romantic storyline even picks up too. ;) Asher is such a hoot. And the prince really comes to surprise me.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:43:31 PM »
I went out and bought Awakened Mage today. Am on Chapter 3.

My bad. You're right with Dathne's name.

And Scully-Moulder.....heh. I can see that. Yes, the romantic tension leaves much to be desired, but so many other things fill its place that I, surprizingly, didn't feel the lack of lovey-doveyness.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 03:49:42 AM »
Looks interesting.  Thanks for the review.  I'll have to look that one up.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Shost

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:05:53 AM »
i'm pretty new to the forums so i had read this series before the review and i honestly loved it. i doubt it'll be one of the books i read over and over again like i do with the WoT or Eragon but i just found Asher's character to be so real. his bluntness was very entertaining too. :D