Author Topic: How are your eyes?  (Read 910 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
How are your eyes?
« on: May 05, 2004, 09:03:48 PM »
So being in a job where I'm required to read from a computer screen 8 hours a day, I learned something.

My coworkers would complain about how their eyes hurt from staring at the screen all day, but I thought, "Oh that's odd, mine don't hurt."

Now I remember a time when it WOULD have made my eyes hurt.  So I figured that my eyes have become adjusted to staring at a computer screen after all my years of Internet addiction at college.

The other option is that I've been wearing my glasses almost constantly.  No one else in my group a work wore glasses, but one woman started wearing a pair of lightly tinted sunglasses while she worked because she claimed it helped her eyes.

Anyone have any input?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: How are your eyes?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 09:16:10 PM »
I wear glasses. If I don't get up and move around a bit then my eyes will feel kinda tired. I think the screen is to blame for my eyes getting progressively worse, but I don't really care.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 09:18:52 PM »
Um, ok, i've heard that wearing polarised or tinted sunglasses reduces rastor burn, but I'm not sure if thats an urban legend or not.

My eyes don't hurt, though I don't use glasses and I stare at a computer screen all day.  However, on a slightly different subject, it also seems to be better for your eyes to look at computer screens in the dark.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 10:03:37 PM »
While I was in college and working my way through school (this is over the course of me being age 19 to about 27), my prescription kept changing like once a month when I'd get new soft contacts or glasses, so my eye doctor gave me hard contacts to hold the shape of my eye. I asked him if it would ever stop, and he said, "Only if you stop reading books and looking at computer screens."

Yeah, never going to happen. And your eyes are really supposed to stop changing by the time you hit 20 or so. I've worn glasses for about 2, maybe 2 1/2 years now, and they haven't changed a whole lot (can't get much worse at this point without going legally blind), so maybe it's okay by now. I still read and stare at computers about 16 hours a day, though.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 10:05:48 PM »
I don't have hurt eyes, except sometimes when I'm driving home

For a while I was getting migraines. Mostly that happened after playing certain games for prolonged periods in certain lights

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 10:35:37 PM »
 However, on a slightly different subject, it also seems to be better for your eyes to look at computer screens in the dark.

It is actually much worse for your eyes to read, watch TV or look at the computer screen in the dark.  You should always have a light on nearby.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 10:38:55 PM »
I think I've heard that bright light=bad and complete dark=bad, that having a relatively dim light on is better--like one 60 watt bulb in the ceiling fixture, or a desk lamp that illuminates the room but doesn't shine bright as daylight.

It's the contrast and reflection that strains the eyes--which is one reason I love my laptop screen. Practically no reflection at all. I have a flat screen at work and have the same good fortune of no reflections.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 10:39:16 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 01:17:56 AM »
My head tends to hurt after I stare at my computer screen for hours on end, but it isn't my eyes...it's the way I sit.  I tend to tense up my whole body unless I consciously relax, and I don't remember to think about it when I'm working on my computer.  Thus, I end up with headaches and a completely sore body when I focus on the computer for a long period of time.