Author Topic: review: The Promise  (Read 3033 times)

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: review: The Promise
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 04:15:38 PM »
I really like the ending of Flying Daggers, though I am increasingly aware that I'm one of the only people in the world who does.

I also like Iron Monkey; it's actually on my "to buy" list, which isn't very large. It's so far removed from the others we're discussing as to be in a different genre, but I thought it was fun.

I, too,  love "House of Flying Daggers," but I have to admit certain faults. I actually enjoyed it more than "Hero."

And I have to agree that "Iron Monkey" is really not the same genre, but it was merketed as such, and therefore I felt it worth mentioning, plus I wanted the excuse to talk about how much I HATED HATED HATED HATED HATED IT!!!

Actually, you hit on part on why I hated it so much -  I went expected something more in the genre we are talking about. Even then, when I realized that it was more of "Zorro" or Super Hero type of thing, I tried to go with it, but the writing and acting were just beyond awful, and it was not well directed at all.

"The Promise" in some ways is a different genre as well, but they are all marketed the same in America.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 10:02:05 AM »
Well, they're all Chinese, right? Doesn't that make them the same?

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 10:24:55 AM »
Well, they're all Chinese, right? Doesn't that make them the same?

Yes - after all, American movies, such as "The Fast and The Furious" and "Driving Miss Daisy" are basically the same movie.  (Yes, I note the sarcasm in your post, but I was aumsed by it.).  ;D
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 09:24:19 AM »
The Fast and the Furious and Driving Miss Daisy both had cars in them right? Doesn't that make them the same?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 08:17:43 PM »
All those American movies are about cars. And all Chinese movies are about artistic violence, and all German movies are about depression, and all French movies are about sex, and all Mexican movies are about wrestlers.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »
And British movies are about crime.

Wait, that ones true...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch