Author Topic: DaVinci Code  (Read 13741 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: DaVinci Code
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2006, 11:21:23 PM »
Q.E.D.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2006, 12:31:27 AM »
And the Priory of Zion was in fact invented in the 1950s by a French Nazi Sympathizer with a criminal history named Pierre Plantard.  It did not exist in the middle ages, as Dan Brown claims.  And therefore just about everything else Dan Brown says about this organization is false

That needs little exposition, but let me point out again that Brown claims this organization is/was real (not at all), that his descriptions of the art is accurate (not at all), and the etymology of the very basis of the book is not only suspect but completely untenable.

actually, I believe the theory presented with the Priory was around, then they pretended that it was made up to throw people off the trail... go figure, pretty smart of them... yay conspiracy theories...
Ps- Sin? lil harsh perhaps?
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

darkjetti81

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2006, 01:53:19 AM »
I thought the movie was pretty damn good in respect to it following the book.  It left out a few details, but it showed most of the art work. :)  

Tom Hanks did an excellent job portraying Robert Langdon.  

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2006, 12:27:47 PM »
The reference to "Cockamamie" theology was not about the study of religious symbols, but merely a joke about the specious reasoning and "according to the conclusions I've jumped to" leaps in logic that bog down the film so utterly.

As far as the question of being offended, the person who wrote that didn't read the review: we never said that. And we were not in a hole - we new exactly what the story was about, there were no surprises going in, except that we thoguht there would be at least an attempt at a logical presentation of the theories. I wanted to see interesting and solid reasoning behind them, and there wasn't any.

The point that it is just a novel, and a movie, is well founded - people are trying to make into something of religious significance, and no matter how you look at it, it's just not. It's pulp fiction.

But the fact remains (in my opinion, of course) that it was shoddy pulp fiction.

As for the other films that got better reviews, "Saw" notwhithstanding, some of those were great films. "Collateral" was an extremely well made thriler that was ACTUALLY THRILLING.

The number one criteria on which a critic should base the review is whether the film succeeds at what it is trying to be. "The Da VInci Code" did not come close, at any point, to succeeding as a thriller, because it was painfully dull and you did not care if a single character in it lived or died. That has nothing to do offending Christians - it has to do with alienating people whol pay to see a movie starring Tom Hanks and Directed by Ron Howard and something either entertaining or thoughtful, and instead get something plodding, bloated and unbelievable lazy. It has nothing whatsover to do with the subject matter - that's exactly the kind of willd, unsupported reasoning the character's use, which is why the stroy is so insipid. "Collateral" and yes, even "Hulk" (which may not have connected with audiences, but was appreciated by critics) got much, much better reviews all across the country than "Da Vinci Code" did - from critics of all religious beliefs.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 12:42:16 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »
but we have also established that the arguments against my posts have all fallen prey to the criticism usually leveled against me, that they attack the messenger, not the message.  All anyone has done with my arguments is say that either I am lying, I am not credible, or I am simply incompetent.  I find that extremely interesting.  get back to me when you can argue my points.  

Akeyata, in your first post you claimed that people were upset by the DVC because they were unthinking christians who couldn't deal with actual history. (point 5)

But at least three people have pointed out that the only true and documented "historical" facts you could find in the work, which you listed, were not the things that were upsetting those "unthinking christians."  The speculations and outright fakery Brown employed are what have most people upset.  

Being upset by a Pop author's speculations is not being unable to deal with actual history, as you claimed.  So, you are wrong, and we've shown it by actually dealing with your argument/point.  Deal.

total non-sequitur: Are related to the Wells brothers, Fell and Mustard?  No insult is intended to Fell and Mustard, just an impression I got, wondering if it's true.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 12:43:26 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
Yes, Akeyata is our sister. It was the Xena thing that gave it away, right?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »
One additional point I wish to make about the individual films listed that got better reviews on this site than "Da Vinci Code.": not a single one of them was reviewed by these particular critics, so they are really irrelevant.

We make a point of writing our reveiws before discussing  the films with anyone on the site, and then they post our opinion, which is just that, not the stance of the site as a whole. It's not as if Skar or Fellsfroch check to make sure they felt the same way about a movie that we did before they post our review.  In fact,  they have let us bash movies that they liked plenty of times.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »
I do. I refuse to post anything I disagree with.

(and if you believe that, i have a bridge you might be interested in buying)

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »
Yes, Akeyata is our sister. It was the Xena thing that gave it away, right?

I can't remember what gave it away.  I just remember thinking, "Oh, I bet she's their sister." after reading something.  I resisted the idea for a while because you two are about the most unflappable and well-reasoned posters on this site.  It must be a male gene in your family.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2006, 01:41:48 PM »
you two are about the most unflappable and well-reasoned posters on this site

Oh you!  Flattery will get you everywhere!
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2006, 01:43:08 PM »
Well, she did mention King Kong, so that's one of the ones you wrote. It's the only one she mentioned, though.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bill_Snyder

• Level 1
  • I hate everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »

I can't remember what gave it away.  I just remember thinking, "Oh, I bet she's their sister." after reading something.  I resisted the idea for a while because you two are about the most unflappable and well-reasoned posters on this site.  It must be a male gene in your family.

I think it has more to do with the fact that men are usually more stable than women, regardless of what family the belong to.

Hey everyone, let's fight!
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »
FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp  FIGHT! stomp

-Fellfrosch

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »

I think it has more to do with the fact that men are usually more stable than women, regardless of what family the belong to.

Hey everyone, let's fight!

Hey! I resemble that remark! I mean... resent...

psh, put up your dukes were startin a brawl now!
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2006, 03:12:50 PM »
How would Fell's Mum feel about comments like that?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!