Author Topic: review: X-Men: The Last Stand  (Read 11243 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: X-Men: The Last Stand
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1407

I just wnat to point out that it's impossible to not under-utilize Cyclops. He's a chump character from the get go with an uninteresting power or personality.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: review: X-Men: The Last Stand
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1407

I just wnat to point out that it's impossible to not under-utilize Cyclops. He's a chump character from the get go with an uninteresting power or personality.

Yeah, you're only saying that because he attacks your beliefs as a person with two eyes, reflecting the bias of everyone on this site.

I don't think it's impossible to not-underuse him - there characters in these movies are whatever the choose them to be (look at Rogue. She's totally different from in the comics.). Cyclops are Marsden are both likable - the franchise just never lets them do enough. The dynamic between Cyclops and Wolverine has always been a godd one, and they have a chance to really build on that in this one, but unfortuantely they dont.

Just my opinion, of course.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »
you've discovered my secret. Now I must have you killed.

Actually, I think most people just don't like Cyclops. He's never been a particularly interesting character in the comic books either. I've never expected much from him on screen.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:33:50 PM »
you've discovered my secret. Now I must have you killed.

Actually, I think most people just don't like Cyclops. He's never been a particularly interesting character in the comic books either. I've never expected much from him on screen.

To some extent, you're right. He isn't the majority favorite - but I think everyone has their one characters that they either favor or don't care for in the series, and they tend to assume that everyone else feels the same way (which I suppose I am doing by assuming that everyone wants to see more of Cyclops). I will never get my sister to understand that I like Storm and Halle Berry, but Colossus with his shirt of off has never really been a big selling point of the films.

- Sting

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 02:44:09 PM »
what? You don't like naked man-flesh?

I've been wanting Gambit this whole time.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 02:45:29 PM »
I think this comic explains Cyclops
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=167
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:33:18 PM »
IMO, Cyclops is a good character concept that has been poorly executed over-over again. So, yes, I agree that Cyclops cannot be under-utilized enough.

Unless he were to be reworked to be less whiny, less narcissistic, more powerful power (can't he at least see in the dark or something), and (dare I suggest it) more insecure. Can't he just accidentally kill a few people from time to time? He needs to have at least one momentous fight with Jean (when she's not evil, all-powerful, or dead).

Heck, I almost wish there was a "Make Cyclops" cool contest out there somewhere since we seem to be stuck with him.

On another note, Cyclop's brother (Havok) is much, much cooler. Why couldn't he be in the movies.

Also, lacking Gambit is a crime.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »
more powerful power (can't he at least see in the dark or something)

Night Vision googles don't cost nearly as much as half the gear they carry around.

Besides, how is the ability to shoot a beam of death-lasery goodness not powerful? I'd take an inbuilt phaser over night-vision anyday.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 03:43:03 PM »
Unfortunately, in the Marvel world, being able to shoot a beam of death just isn't that impressive (and rather common).

I also have a theory that the really cool comic characters have multiple powers. Look Spiderman, Wolverine, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman for examples.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
Okay, someone explain Gambit to me . Everyone also says they want to see him in the movie, but as far as I can tell by my miniscule knowledge, his power is that he carries a stick (which, admittedly, makes him the one the play in the arcade game, the same reason Donatello is the best Ninja Turtle - weapon with the furthest reach.).

I like Cyclops, I will always like Cyclops.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 03:46:24 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:52:29 PM »
so you've missed his power entirely. Have you ever seen him throw exploding cards? That's his real schtick. He can kinetically charge any object. They blow up after he does this. He throws cards because they're light and easy to carry, but he can do the same to cars, rocks, whatever.

The main reason we like Remy el Beau, though, is even though he drops french into his dialogue, he has a personality. And he looks cool. And, most importantly, he's good with the leadies.

Scott just kinda goes... "I'm the leader. I'm the captain of the football team! You must love me!"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »
Night Vision googles don't cost nearly as much as half the gear they carry around.

Besides, how is the ability to shoot a beam of death-lasery goodness not powerful? I'd take an inbuilt phaser over night-vision anyday.

Name one Marvel hero or villain that can't either dodge, or, more frequently, simply shrug off Cyclops' "beam of death-lasery goodness."

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 04:13:31 PM »

Name one Marvel hero or villain that can't either dodge, or, more frequently, simply shrug off Cyclops' "beam of death-lasery goodness."

This is due to what is known as "G.I. Joe Parachute Syndrome", and is not really Cyclops' fault. Though I concede it's an inherent problem with his power.

Two additional points:

First, all multi-powered superheros pale to Superman. The advantage to a single power is you have do ONE thing better than Superman (i.e. The Flash is faster).

Second, there is more to a character than powers. The cinematic Cyclops is a strong leader, and his interaction with Wolverine is the heart and soul of the first film (come on: the way they they establish which is the real Wolverine is one of the best movie moments of the decade). Even though "X2" is the best film of the series, both sequels have been missing something by underusing the Cyclops/Wolverine dynamic. Powers, schmowers. It's about drama, and the drama of the cinematic X-Men needs Cyclops. I mean, Batman has no powers at all, anfd if anyone bad mouths Batman . . .

Plus,  Cyclops got Famke Janssen, which inherently makes him cool.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:14:13 PM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 04:35:53 PM »
I've always wanted more of Cyclops, but I don't really know what I wanted him to do more of. Maybe he could come up with some cool tactics to show leadership, or something like that.

I'm mostly just glad that they didn't use Jubilee (or if you're going to be a stickler, that they cut her scene from X2).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net