Author Topic: top 10 loves songs  (Read 3416 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
top 10 loves songs
« on: February 12, 2005, 07:05:42 PM »
black monday is coming fast, so what's on your playlist for the big day/

Criteria, the song has to be a love song or mean something to you Romantically.

1.Fade into you by Mazzy Star, Astrid and my song in highschool, she'd put it on while we parked to make out.

2.Lets get it on- Marvin Gaye cause its Marvin Gaye,.. and he rocks

3.A sunday kind of love- Etta James... she just wants a love that lasts 7 days a week

4.Sweet Jane- the cover by the Cowboy Junkies

5.Sweet Lady Genivive- The Kinks,... old love made new, well at least hindsights 20/20

6.Julia- The Beatles although this one is a tie with Michelle (my wifes middle name,eventually I decided to just go with this one)

7.My Cherie Amour- Stevie Wonder... Cheesy, corny, whatever this is a great love song.

8.Crazy Love- A duet by two amazing musicians Ray Charles and  Van Morrison with a Gospel choir.

9. Wonderful tonight- Eric Clapton- Come on were you dead in the 90's? Well? Were you?

10. To know her is to love her- Emile Ford and the Checkmates
Growing up my dad inflicted a lot of musical damage on me... Do-wop was not part of that equation.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: top 10 loves songs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 10:33:50 PM »
in no order:
- "ForKE" by me. I wrote it and performed it. It's an instrumental, the primary musical theme was developed by assigning every letter of the alphabet a note and then using the notes corresponding to her name. (a technique i picked up from mason williams)

- "She's an Angel" by They Might Be Giants. It's the song i sang with my buddy when I invited my wife to Prom (our first date)

- "All I Want Is You" by U2. It was our wedding song. It's how i feel about her.

- "Crush Story" by Too Much Joy. Because I just wanna lay my head in your lap, and I am the smalled giant ever.

- "Jill" by Harry Connick, Jr. Sorry if this gives you bad images, but it's just so.... arousing.

- "Wonderful Tonight" by eric Clapton. see Jeffe's comments. but also because i've sung it to my wife a lot.

- "Stories I Tell" by Toad the Wet Sprocket. C'mon, what writer here doesn't just want someone to listen to the stories they tell?

- "Storybook Love" by Willy Deville/mark Knopfler. from the Princess Bride sound track. because hey, that's just cool. that's the fantasy I have, and I'll scale imaginary castle walls and tilt at windmills to prove my love.

- "Somebody" by Depeche Mode. Possibly the best slow dance song. Ev-AR.

- "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel C'mon, where you dead in the 80s. Well were you?

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 02:36:47 AM »
Girl with the World in her Eyes - 2 Skinnee J's

Electric Blue - Icehouse

Crazy - Icehouse

Together in Electric Dreams - Human League

I fall in love too easily - Miles Davis

Lamer than Lame - Nerf Herder

Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen

Yeah, angsty eighties stuff.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 03:11:42 AM »
"Four dead cheerleaders" By the Dropkick Murphys
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:50:19 PM »
I don't have any real favorites, but these are some good ones out of my library.
If You're Gone-Matchbox 20
Far Behind-Candlebox
Blossom-Candlebox
Out of Order-Duncan Sheik
Serena-Duncan Sheik
Hemorrhage-Fuel
Bad Day-Fuel
Hey Jealousy-Gin Blossoms
Every Breath You Take-The Police
I am kind of surprised that no one picked this one already. Kind of overpopularized, but still a very good song.
Don't Stand So Close To Me '86-The Police
If You (Want To Call Me Baby)- Spin Doctors
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »
Just so you know, the spin doctors song is called "Two Princes".
 And "Don't stand so close to me....." a song about statutory rape= love?

I'm intrigued that our ideas of "love songs" differ so much. Ok, but here's my list, in no particular order.

"Kissing You," by Desiree - from the Romeo + Juliet sound track.

"Love of My Life," by Michael W. Smith - I guess this is how it feels when you finially find something real.

"This I Promise You," by N'sync - make fun of them all you like, this is easily one of my top 10 love songs

"Swear it Again," by Westlife - the one-hit wonder boy band.

"Beautiful Girl," by INXS. In contrast to a lot of their other songs, this one really is a love song. The piano hook is what gets me.

"Closer," by Better than Ezra.  The first time I heard this song I cried.  One of my criteria for a top-rate love song.

"Love's Divine," by Seal.  Ditto on this one. If you really want to test your ability not to cry, watch the music video.  http://music.yahoo.com/ar-263877-videos--Seal

"Stars," by Dubstar. (Not the techno remix.)  J.T. introduced me to this song, so I think of him when I hear it.

"The Search is Over," by Survivor.  A given. Sorry 80's gurus, I can't stand Peter Gabriel.

"Lost in Your Eyes," by Debbie Gibson.

Runner up: "2003" by Nina Gordon.  This was 'our song'; could easily have been written just for us.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 09:51:31 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 10:15:09 PM »
Fuzzy, I thought it was called Two Princes, but iTunes identified it differently. I should know better, since my dad has the album. As for the other, it doesn't really tell how the girl feels. It could be that the girl is madly in love with him too, in which case they both know what the world thinks and they don't really give a certain something. They know how they feel, and I don't see why the rest of the world should have an opinion. Family and friends sure, but not everyone who passes by them on the street, and thinks that they have an opinion that everyone else is just dying to hear. From that perspective, it is pretty romantic, to have two people who care enough about one another that they don't really care what everyone has to say. Just my opinion, but that is why I think it is a romantic song.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 10:22:22 PM »
Fine, but it's not *written* as a romantic song, and it's not written from the girl's point.  And you're not a girl!  If you're looking at it from that POV something like Benny Mardones's "Into the Night" is a little more appropos I feel.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 10:26:53 PM »
I am not, in fact, a girl. I wasn't trying to adopt a girls point of view, just presenting a possible situation, or showing you my point of view on it. I have discovered that oftentimes a song doesn't have to be meant to be a romantic song to be one. Or at least to my tastes. Then again, I am very notoriously weird. As to your alternative, it might be better, but I have not ever heard it, so I would not know.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 10:32:01 PM »
I have discovered that oftentimes a song doesn't have to be meant to be a romantic song to be one.

True enough. Just make sure you're not telling girls this is your favorite love song on the first date, eh?

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 10:37:40 PM »
Good advice, except I am never going to go out on a date. I am still thinking of the last girl, and it hurts enough that I really am not going to try that again. Fork in the electrical outlet theory in action.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 01:57:03 AM »
"Danny's Song" by Loggins and Messina. I'd have them play it at my wedding, except it's really about a wife telling her husband they're going to have a baby, so I guess it's more of a marriage love song for later. But it's so beautiful--"even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with you honey..." etc.

"I Second that Emotion" by Smoky Robinson. One that makes you want to dance.

"Look at You, Girl" by Chris LeDoux. I want a guy to feel this way about me someday--just in awe that we're together, who loves me all out.

"Something in the Way She Moves" by James Taylor. See Chris LeDoux. Plus, I'd like to be the kind of girl he sings about--the one who can be a calming, sweet presence.

"I Believe in Love" by The Dixie Chicks. Sad, but hopeful.

"What This Woman Needs" by SHeDaisy. The love a girl asks for when she's down. A comfort song.

"Annie's Song" by John Denver. Just plain sweet.

"I Only Have Eyes for You" by Martina Martin-Byrd. Nice old-style love song.

"Hard-Headed Woman" by Cat Stevens. An odd one, as far as love songs go, but it's my theme song.

"Something So Right" by Paul Simon. (50 Ways to Leave Your Lover should go right next to it, though. ;) )

"Fortress around Your Heart" by Sting. Not really a love song, more of a "I want to patch things up" song. But sometimes that's what love has to do.

Okay, that's more than 10. I just scanned my Itunes and pulled out a few favorites.

Edit: Well, at least it's just 11 now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 02:01:16 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 01:59:03 AM »
Whoops, not only was that more than ten, it was nearly 20. I'm going back to edit down to 10.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 02:28:23 AM »
 "Storybook Love" by Willy Deville/mark Knopfler. from the Princess Bride sound track. because hey, that's just cool. that's the fantasy I have, and I'll scale imaginary castle walls and tilt at windmills to prove my love.

I'm glad somebody has the same idea as me.  This is actually the going to be the first dance for the bride and groom at my wedding.  

My fiance and I were struggling to find a good song and she went gaga over it when I made the suggestion in December.

On another note, I always picture the credits showing the cast at the end of the Princess Bride when I hear this, only usually replaced with me and my friends.  

The song just inspires the imagination.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 02:38:42 AM »
it was at Erics wedding if I remember correctly...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!