Author Topic: The 3 most signifigant events in your History  (Read 2543 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: The 3 most signifigant events in your History
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 03:44:09 AM »
I think you are asking for significant "world" events that effected ones life. The term "historical" can be given a lot of spin.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 06:28:49 AM »
Not that I would ever argue semantics, but I dont think world events is the appropriate term. While the top 3 in mine happen to be world events two very local events almost snuck in. I think its entirely possible to have 3 very local events in your top 3. In addition people on this board who live in other countries may have their own local events that I may never have heard of. Historical would imply an event in the past signifigent enough to affect a group of people. Im not sure that personal events (engagements, personal experinces and so on) should be considered historical because they arent recorded for posterity. Not that they arent important, just not history. Unless of course it happens to get published down the line... but thats a different story.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 08:05:17 AM »
my only beef with that, Jeffe, is that there are several written, shared records of things like my engagement and how it happened. what's not historical in the literal sense about that.

It would be too difficult o delineate the top three events that shaped me, but i know they are smaller things than September 11. There are a number of times where i made realizations of great importance, and those realizations were behavior altering on a long term basis. those realizations are much more important to who/what I am than those events

that's just me though. others are more profoundly affected by major events. To cite an obvious example, a Jewish person born recently learning about the Holocaust. That would profoundly affect my sense of identity and how i relate to the world. i think events like September 11 and so forth are comparable in magnitude and potential effect. Read In the Shadow of No Towers if you're not convinced.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 08:23:26 AM »
youll notice Im not stopping anyone from posting the events they want to post... im just not putting some personal stuff forward because I feel like that kind of personal stuff isnt history, you might. All in all it comes down to what you guys want to write here. I was profoundly affected by the three events I put down, you guys dont have to be.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!