Author Topic: Favorite author  (Read 15092 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite author
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2009, 11:38:21 PM »
No other book has made an industry of interpretting a book so it is kinda obvious...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 12:47:37 AM »
I find it hard to believe they are tracking 2 million titles and put her in first place...   i mean, noone teacks the best selling book of all time any more? LOL (its the Bible, for those that didnt know)

"Best selling of all time" means "Has sold more over the years than any other book."  It does not mean "best selling book at every given moment."
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59:51 AM »
It's kinda a given Jade...I mean it's in the wording for any who care to think
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 06:48:47 AM »
It's kinda a given Jade...I mean it's in the wording for any who care to think

No, not quite.  There's a world of difference between "of all time" and "at all times".

It's kind of the like the difference between "he lived as the poor" and "he lived near the poor".
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 12:31:41 PM »
Corporate purchases alone would push the bible into "at all times" territory.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2009, 09:15:12 AM »
There was a short lived industry in commentaries etc. supporting Lord of the Rings.

Is it just me or is that pic on the USA Today article far more frightening than most serial killers?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2009, 10:26:46 AM »
Corporate purchases alone would push the bible into "at all times" territory.

Do you have any statistics to back this up?  I really don't think very many people buy the Bible that often...

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2009, 03:43:15 AM »
A lot of churches provide bibles at each seat in the auditorium.  These tend to wear out and have to be replaced fairly often.  I think that's what was meant by corporate purchases.  The Gideons have some stats on bible distribution (not limited to their own).

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2009, 07:58:21 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing them.

Also:  I think the ISBN has to be the same for it to be considered the same "book" for sales chart purposes.

For example, are two different translations to be considered the same book?  What if one is a translation with lots of commentary?  Etc.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2009, 08:10:45 AM »
Well technically the King James Authorized Version is the property of the Church of England and, whoever prints it, it's still the same book.  There are similar issues with the Hebrew text in the form of a kosher scroll.  But yeah I think the Gideons do tend to merge all versions and editions into one lump for purposes of statistics. Except they do distinguish the volumes with their logo and copyrighted forwards, which by license can never legally be sold.

The only way I've ever encountered the Gideon stats is in the pamphlets they hand out when they are itenerating for donations.  [url link=http://www.gideons.org/?HP=USA&LevelID=5&sc_lang=en]The Gideons International[/url]

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »
LOL, everyone likes to hate on Meyer.

All I can say is, Damn, I wish I could have a tenth of her success, for just one year. I'd be set for life  :D

I much prefer her Vampires fans over the majority of vamp fans I've dealt with over the years . . .

If anyone is curious, I think Stephanie made over 50 million in 2008, which is like 0.2% of the total book sales in America (24-something billion).

Then again, Dan Brown makes more . . .
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2009, 09:25:23 AM »
Ugh. Live Action, Masquerade types.  What a horror (as in the pimply teenybopper in a wool cloak with stakes and a hammer chasing through a convention center trying to tackle a middle-aged ingenue in fishnets and and a black pvc opera cape with fake teeth).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:08:30 PM by Renoard »

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »
Well technically the King James Authorized Version is the property of the Church of England and, whoever prints it, it's still the same book.  There are similar issues with the Hebrew text in the form of a kosher scroll.  But yeah I think the Gideons do tend to merge all versions and editions into one lump for purposes of statistics. Except they do distinguish the volumes with their logo and copyrighted forwards, which by license can never legally be sold.

The only way I've ever encountered the Gideon stats is in the pamphlets they hand out when they are itenerating for donations.  [url link=http://www.gideons.org/?HP=USA&LevelID=5&sc_lang=en]The Gideons International[/url]

Technically, in the US, the King James Authorized Version of the Bible is in the Public Domain, and as such, the Church of England does not own it (unless you're talking about some recent CoE reprinting I'm unaware of, in which case that specific reprinting would belong to them).  Furthermore, each edition of that Bible, published with a separate ISBN, is a separate book as far as a publisher is concerned.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2009, 06:06:07 AM »
Aren't we talking authorship here, not ownership?  Should be obvious.

Now that you mention it, my favorite author: God.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:19:44 AM by mtbikemom »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
Why must people make everything controversal...I will refrain from saying anything further in hope that this topic is dropped.