Author Topic: Revenge of Grumpy Bear  (Read 158547 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Revenge of Grumpy Bear
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2006, 04:40:44 PM »
One of these days I'm going to end up smacking my sister-in-law around. She loves (and WRITES) Star Wars fan fiction, yet she finds Superman unbelievable. I can think of no rational explanation for this.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2006, 02:25:29 PM »
I Miss A/C a lot, and will be glad when my dad shows up in a week with a window unit...

mmm frosty!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2006, 02:56:46 PM »
One of these days I'm going to end up smacking my sister-in-law around. She loves (and WRITES) Star Wars fan fiction, yet she finds Superman unbelievable. I can think of no rational explanation for this.

Medichlorions. Duh.

Maybe if Superman had some kinda bug that gave him powers, this would be acceptable, seriously.... No one buys into by into that yellow sun crap.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:57:12 PM by FirstMateJack »
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2006, 03:01:37 PM »
He's actually part plant... sue him for it, I dare you.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2006, 03:46:35 PM »
Don't worry, I will.

How could he have strung me along all of this time while I thought that he was super, only to find out he's just a plant with steroids.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2006, 09:44:08 PM »
Zhaan was a plant, it didn't make her any less cool.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
why I hate public places when Im trying to a. Write b. Use the internet c. get a moments peace...

People need to shut up and stop trying to talk to me. My posture should say it all. The fact that I brought something to do should say it all... and most of all me saying I dont want to talk to you should say it all but for some reason everyone seems to think that they are the exemption. They aren't. Im not fond of strangers and Im less fond of idle chat.

/rant off

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »
I am beginning to understand more and more why you have the Fizzgig avatar.  ;)

I have a shirt that says "Drop Dead" with a skull on it, you should try one of those.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 07:31:03 PM by FirstMateJack »
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2006, 07:41:32 PM »
I seem to be stuck with fizgig because the lovely ladies end up acting like him when I change it to something else... Interestingly enough a fizgig is a small explosion (often related to British Christmas crackers)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2006, 10:07:18 AM »
I'm grumpy because yesterday I found out that I need have osseous surgery so that part of my mouth will stop bleeding. My problems are being caused by a pocket under my gum where the bone has become deformed and an infection has built up over the years. The periodontist wants to slice up my gums, drill out the bone, stitch me up and then charge me a minor fortune. This is just bad luck.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2006, 10:48:26 AM »
or good luck, because that kind of infection can easily get septic and kill you. I think we all want you to live. Or at least some of us...

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2006, 04:47:55 AM »
Can't sleep...super grumpy...grr  >:( >:( >:(
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2006, 05:44:54 AM »
I empathize with your insomnea, Chimera.

Lost One, please tell me your mouth bleeding problem isn't genetic. I hate dentists.

I'm grumpy at the moment. Well, actually furiously peeved. I came into work to find the place completely trashed with a mile-long list of tasks that had been left undone by the previous shifts. The person working the previous shift stayed for hour tryingto help out, but eventually just gave up and went home.

So, i'm left trying to bring some order to the place, when I'm haulin out trash the dumpster that should have been taken out a day earlier. As I'm lifting the trash into the dumpster I manage to dislocate my shoulder.

So now, I'm at work, which is still a mess, my right arm has gone completely numb, my shoulder has swollen up, and I could really use an asprin.

On the good news, the paramedics said I probably can avoid seeing a doctor unless my shoulder pain gets worse. Also, I've decided I won't be lifting anything for the rest of my shift, which means I'm done until my replacement comes.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2006, 01:01:22 PM »
Friday Morning: 8 am. I'm already sweaty, having loaded many boxes and a closet full of clothes into my car. In addition, I have taken several doors down to facillitate removing large items from the house. This is not a big problem. I'm about where I expect to be.

Friday Morning: 8:30 am. My wife is already questioning every decision I make. I decide to leave a little early to get my brother-in-law to go pick up the truck to avoid a fight. My wife will be running a workshop for Youth Conference, and thus will not be there when I get back. Fight is effectively prevented.

Friday Morning: 9:05 am. Gary (my brother-in-law) and I discover that the truck rental place is not actually right off of Backlick Rd as they say they are. Nor are they off Alban road, which is what Backlick turns into. We eventually make it to the rental place, which is about a mile away from Backlick Road.

Friday Morning: 9:20am. We're still waiting for the U-Haul jerks to get their act together. The people who were receiving help at the counter when we walked in the building are still there. No one has moved.

Friday Morning: 9:40am. They've managed to move to the SECOND set of customers. Some girl who doesn't realize that she shouldn't be wearing a babydoll tee when her belly will dramatically hang down over her pants waist tries to cut the entire line, quite upset that no one has reserved her truck even though she called the day before. I can almost understand this, except that I had reserved my truck 2 weeks earlier and noted that they said it would take about 24 hours for them to give her a response on the reservation. Several audible growls from the line get fatty back into place.

Friday morning, 10:00 am. I'm still not at the front of the line. I'm getting very angry. One of the two people behind the counter has disappeared. The only thing keeping me from exploding is that the girl still there must have heard me tell Gary that I found it incredibly rude to make a customer who is there in the flesh, and whom she has already started helping, to handle phone customers. The phone rings non-stop, but the line has finally started moving at a faster clip than one person ever 20 minutes.

Friday morning, 10:11 am. I get a truck. At last. It's a manual. The truck is easily at least as old as the Kennedy Administration. at least the stupid thing runs. Though I stall the first time I try to put it into first. Part of this is because I haven't driven manual for 2 years, but mostly it's because the first geer doesn't work properly. 2nd geer is a much better place to start with this beast. This, however, does not prevent mr. man who brings the trucks around front from glaring at me. I place an ancient gypsy curse on him out of pure onery-ness.

Friday morning, 10:35 am. I had planned on pulling the truck in from the back. THere's a nice flat place where the grass meets the road that would be great to pull in with if the telephone wires weren't hanging down to about 7 feet off the ground. I had, however, scouted a secondary entry point that was slightly less even and required a sharper turn. I reckon I can still take it. I reckon wrong, which I learn when the tow hitch digs deeply into the asphalt and the rear wheels hang an inch or so off the ground.

Friday morning, 11:00am a cop pulls up. Oddly, this is the only time in my life a cop is not a complete ****wad to me. Though he does tell me that I had better call a tow truck, since we're obstructing part of the road -- nicely, he gives me a while longer to work it out. My other brother-in-law, Anders, has been directing traffic. We realize that the cop is still a partial ****wad when he sits in his car and stares at us, instead of doing his fricking job and directing traffic. Gary, me, the bishop, and my neighbor Rodney have been trying various strategies involving many branches from the nearby forest, soem spare book shelves, and a hydrolic jack to get the truck back on the road. No dice. Unfortunately, no one has capuchin monkeys or marshmellow sauce so we can't try my idea, though a two inch thick piece of rope snaps in two at one point.

tbc

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »
Friday morning: 11:15 Rodney manages to free the truck by using his pickup and a very large chain. He wins brownies. (literal ones and points). We finally get started moving crap out of the house, but we have to haul it 30 yards across a yard to get to the truck. This exhausts us quickly.

Friday, noon: My mother orders pizza with my credit card.

Friday, 12:15 pm: My mother is still trying to explain to some moron where my house is. It's on all the fircking maps and I'm less than a mile from the pizza shop.

Friday, 12: 45 pm: My mother calls the pizza shop to ask them where our pizza is. My stomach growls as the pizza dude claims we ordered for pickup. Which is why she spend 20 minutes describing how to get here. Oh, that makes sense.

Friday, 1:00 pm: We get pizza. Finally.

Friday, 1:35 pm: I start to stand up. I've moved house 10 times in my 8 years of marriage, and I hurt more at this point than I ever have. Fortunately, the upstairs and main floor are almost done, leaving only the basement, and two large sofa-beds to move. No one in earshot is remotely happy.

Friday, 2:10 pm: My wife comes back. And informs me that she has had the wrong address written on the white board. This means that the phone company and the USPS have been given the wrong address. This means I have no idea *when* I'll have mail or phone service. I weep on the inside and shove more stuff in the truck.

Friday, 3:23 pm: half my crew departs. I don't blame them, 2 of them are missionaries with appointments (probably including dinner) and one is driving them. We're almost done anyway.

Friday, 5:18 pm: I make a wrong turn taking the truck back (already 2 hours late, but only 1 for really because I claim the hour of my life they claimed earlier back). I spend roughly half an hour moving 3 miles in Washington DC commuter traffic on I-95. I make it back around and return the truck at 6:10ish.

Friday 6:19 pm: I return the truck again, having put gas back in it.

Saturday, 6:30 am: Small children, having spent the previous day at various friends and relations cheerfully wake me up. I'd say it's with great effort that I refrain from killing them, but that'd be a lie. In reality, i'm paralized from the pain and can't reach them.

Saturday, 7:00am: I get out of bed and start the endless shuffling of boxes to get furniture in the right place. Parts of the entertainment center have all but shattered.

Saturday, 10:00 am: I shove the kids out the door to stay at Grandma's.

Saturday 11:00 am: I have triumphantly fit more furniture (unmoved because it was to be thrown out) in the Van than actual capacity. I gather my dad and we head for the dump.

(oh yes, there's more)