Author Topic: Eragon  (Read 21511 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Eragon
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 12:44:26 AM »
It probably didn't. I've met some Twilighters who were pretty thick-headed. Not many, but that's probably because I distance myself from Twilighters in general. I've found that they can get irate when someone starts dissing their favorite books, and I've also found that when they go defensive, I just can't shut my mouth....

Still, though. 5 times is really a waste of time. The books hold nothing of value, and even if they did hold a little bit, I think one read-through would be plenty. I'm thinking after 5, the person would start to be affected by the morals of the story (ie perfectly sexy boys loving you no matter how "plain" you are; thinking you can get all your dreams with no effort, even if some of them are contradictory; females canNOT function without their male counterpart, it is physically impossible)....Twilight morals disgust me.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2009, 12:44:50 AM »
Eragon: Abysmal movie.  The book can only be better by comparison.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 12:46:53 AM »
True, the book is better. It's also a horrible rip-off of much greater books. It's pretty much a collage of the works of a bunch of different authors...Mostly LotR, though.....It's sad. Good, but completely unoriginal.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 12:57:18 AM »
True, the book is better. It's also a horrible rip-off of much greater books. It's pretty much a collage of the works of a bunch of different authors...Mostly LotR, though.....It's sad. Good, but completely unoriginal.

LoTR? Sure, it could have been set in the same world, but I always thought it was more of a Star Wars fantasy myself.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 01:04:33 AM »
I don't know about that. Half of Star Wars is the amazingly infuriating game of cat and mouse–half the freaking time all the do is the good guys get caught, then Han Solo plans an amazingly daring rescue to get them out (when he's not in cased in carbon or whatever). I find it a little repetitive, personally. Eragon is much different, I think.

I see where you're comin' from, though….

Yea I know. There's this Twilight fan in my English class and we got into a small argument about it today and I'm trying to get her to read RJ and BS. Keep your fingers crossed! (converting a Twilight fan to RJ and BS would be beyond incredible)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
Star Wars. Really? Hmm. Maybe it's been too long since I read Eragon, because I don't recall that at all. I distinctly remember getting an OSC vibe reading it. And definitely LotR. And then a few more that I can't recall 'cause it's been so long (it's been close to 5 years since I read it). Regardless, all the stuff (at least that I've read) that he took ideas from are better than how his turned out. Not that Eragon was bad, because I liked it. I haven't read Eldest or Brisingr yet, but from what I've heard of them, they both bombed (or maybe that was just Brisingr).

I have no problem with unoriginal books. The thing I have a problem with is when it's obvious that an author has taken ideas from multiple different authors. Take one from one, and build on that, and make it your own. Don't steal from a bunch and add nothing of your own. That's a terrible idea, and it will mostly likely spawn horrible books....eventually (like with Brisingr).

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
What's OSC? Do you mean 'OCD?'
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2009, 09:53:36 PM »
**SPOILERS FOR ALL 3 BOOKS**

Think about it. A young farmboy, living in an out-of-the way village, with his uncle. The Empire rules the known world, but there is a small group of rebels who resist them.
This farmboy meets a strange old man who has arcane powers. Eventually we discover that this man was once part of a magic organization who protected and defended the world from evil. The boy returns to his village to find the Empire has destroyed his home and killed his uncle. (Sound familiar yet?)
This farmboy rescues a princess from the Empire and escapes with her with another guy. He takes her to the rebel group and he joins them in their fight against the evil Empire. Somewhere along the line here, the strange old man dies.
Later, we find out that the Emperor's right-hand man and former "apprentice" was Eragon's father. (this is later debunked in book 3) Also, this same man fathered another child.
The farmboy realizes he doesn't have enough training in the ways of the Jedi and must seek more guidance. He travels far and finds that the strange old man was actually not the last of the Jedi/dragonriders; there is another, old and decrepit. Later this wise teacher dies.
The thread kinda falls away in Brisingr, but then Brisingr sucked anyway. I guess since Star Wars only has 3 movies he didn't know what to do...

RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2009, 10:17:33 PM »
Oh, wow. Yeah, I never really tried to connect it to Star Wars, but....you're right. The basic plot mirrors SW almost perfectly. This makes me dislike Paolini even more. Star Wars is great. How could he EVER think he could top it?....And obviously he thought he could, if he pretty much took the exact plot and spun it for his own story, putting it in LotR world (or a world that looks (map-wise) exactly like Middle-Earth)....Pathetic. Sure, he was only 15 when he started writing it, but I don't think that's an excuse. I started writing when I was younger than that and my ideas are MUCH more original.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »
Hahahaha nice last line, Reaves. We should send this thread to him ;D.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »
Actually, no, we shouldn't sent it to him. He'd probably use it to create more bad stories 8).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2009, 10:44:22 PM »
lol at above ^ :)

First of all I don't want anyone to think I'm a total Paolini hater. Books 1 and 2 were, although a rip-off, pretty good and well-disguised enough that you have to at least take a second look to realize it was a rip off. Plus, as already stated he was 15. To be published at 15 and for anyone to actually care...is quite an accomplishment.
But basically, what was good wasn't original and what was original wasn't good (to paraphrase from something I heard). I think there was a lot of wasted potential in the entire series.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2009, 10:51:07 PM »
I've never read Paolini, but:

In all honesty, you can't fault him for ripping off Star Wars, because the SW plot was specifically modeled off of Campbell's research (in The Hero With a Thousand Faces and elsewhere), and was intentionally written off of the prototypical hero journey.

In other words, Lucas was (sort of, and he admits it) ripping off Campbell's research in writing Star Wars.  Paolini could have just as easily been doing the same thing, though it is somewhat more likely that he was familiar with Star Wars, and not Campbell.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »
So they're both at fault 8).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2009, 01:56:53 AM »
You all know that "Middle-Earth" is based on the real Eaerth right?

Many authors use the real map to create their world, just modified slightly. If anything, you just cant say "he stole the middle earth map!" because Tolkien "stole" the real Earth map. LotR itself is intended to be the story of this world several hundred/thousand years into the future.