Author Topic: The Fog of War: Duties Failed and Met  (Read 1948 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: The Fog of War: Duties Failed and Met
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:26:55 PM »
Too much WW2! Argh!

I'd like to see some proper musket era games around here. I've always thought that there was a lot of potential inherient in having a game where you sail around the colonial world on a British ship, doing... stuff and taking part in ship battles from the FPS mode (firing muskets at enemy captains, etc) and then going ashore and doing exotic adventures in the jungles. Could be fun.

But anyway... I did like the no-hp thing, but I've heard the comment that it's pretty crap for multiplayer. I don't really mind the concept and think it's a lot better than the 'oh crap, I took lots of damage at the start so now the rest of the level is harder'. It should mean that each encounter is a proper difficulty, because the developers should know exactly how much damage you can take at the start of it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:55:15 PM »
"Was that the Mboto Gorge where we massacred the peace loving pigmies of The Upper Volta and stole all their fruit?"

"No - totally different Mboto Gorge."

"Ten thousand Watutsi warriors armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and guava halves."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:01:23 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 12:33:34 AM »
I agree, Ent--too much WW2, and that era/game you describe has a lot of potential. As for Jeffe, I don't know where those quotes come from, but they're funny.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 12:35:30 PM »
Blackadder goes forth...

The other fun quote from that episode was that the chief requirement of the British army's foes prior to WWI was that under no circumstances were they to carry guns. Even spears made them think twice!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »
Ah yes, I remember that now. Man, that was a good show.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »
I agree though that we need more pike and musket wargames though....

Perhaps a FPS where you play a swedish pikeman under Karl Gustavus. You can advance in pike squares supported by artillery in the wars of Religion. Yay.

Or an even better game is one where you play a colonial soldier fighting a guerilla war against the British in 1776!...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »
Well, there is the 'Battlegrounds' mods, one for each of the Half Life games, where you play team deathmatch in the American Revolution. Muskets and bayonets all round. It's hilarious because it's so silly.

And i'm eagerly awaiting 'Pirates of the Burning Sea' which is a naval mmorpg based in the early 18th century carribean. Command ships in the name of Britain, France or Spain, or strike it alone as a pirate.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »
That sounds cool. I wonder how they're going to work ships--it seems like you'd need a whole group, such as a guild, to pay for and operate a ship.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 08:13:50 PM »
No. Everyone operates their own ship. You used WSAD to raise/lower sails and turn the rudder. You select targets with tab or your mouse, utilise skills with number buttons and mouse, press spacebar to fire cannon fusiliades. Combat is quite slow paced, with battles taking 2 or 3 minutes a pop, and broadsides are 20 seconds apart so... it's frantic, but hardly requires more than one person. Your camera is a spinny rotatey engine thing.

It's got a really cool port warfare element, with sides fighting wars and climatic battles for control of ports.

Fellfrosch