Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Timespan for Stormlight Archives? (Spoilers)

<< < (3/8) > >>

Harakeke:

--- Quote from: Fireborn on October 06, 2010, 06:31:03 PM ---What does yBP stand for?

--- End quote ---
Sorry -- archaeology shorthand.  "years before present"

Peter Ahlstrom:
I'm tempted to answer things like how many hours in the day, how long those hours are compared to our hours, how many minutes to the hour, etc. But I think I'll hold off a few months (or years...) and see what you can come up with just from the book.

But I will say that the "XX years later/ago" chapter timestamps in the book are only accurate to half a year. (Except for the eight months one.)

Also, "ago" is a moving target based on the timeline of the surrounding chapters.

Harakeke:
If I recall... age is measured in terms of number of Weepings experienced (survived?), not by birth date.
Do we know when in the year Weepings fall?

nomti:

--- Quote from: Harakeke on October 07, 2010, 09:08:32 AM ---If I recall... age is measured in terms of number of Weepings experienced (survived?), not by birth date.
Do we know when in the year Weepings fall?

--- End quote ---

Remember, seasons on Roshar last only a few weeks and don't follow any discernible pattern.  The only thing that repeats predictably is the Weepings.  So, they fall at the end.

Cheese Ninja:

--- Quote from: Peter Ahlstrom on October 06, 2010, 11:04:15 PM ---I'm tempted to answer things like how many hours in the day, how long those hours are compared to our hours, how many minutes to the hour, etc. But I think I'll hold off a few months (or years...) and see what you can come up with just from the book.

But I will say that the "XX years later/ago" chapter timestamps in the book are only accurate to half a year. (Except for the eight months one.)

Also, "ago" is a moving target based on the timeline of the surrounding chapters.

--- End quote ---

So if their days are 17.5 hours in our time, we don't need to really need to make any adjustments for them having more days in their years.  It looks like their hours might be a bit shorter than ours.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were 20 of their hours in a day, with the way the love multiples of 10 in this series.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version