Author Topic: Trepidation  (Read 1472 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Trepidation
« on: February 03, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »
I really loved "Clueless," and I thought that "10 Things I Hate About You" was at least above average, so I was pleased to hear that someone is making a modern retelling a Twelfth Night: http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/shestheman/

I was similarly pleased to see that it had Amanda Bynes, who can be a genuinely funny actress (this movie screams "Lindsay Lohan vehicle," and would have died horribly if they'd gone that direction). The trailer is even pretty funny.

What disturbs me, however, is the overall impression that the story and the humor are getting lost under the weight of a tacked-on teen sex movie a la American Pie. When you're working with Twelfth Night you don't need that kind of stuff, but I suspect they added it in anyway just to appeal to hooligan kids these days. I guess we'll see.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Trepidation
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 05:25:56 PM »
Holy cow, that made me laugh aloud--esp. the end w/ the soccer to the groin. Yay, this one looks fun yet not overly teeny bobber-ish. Though I agree w/ Fell that it's been "sexed up" quite a bit.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:44:54 PM »
I agree. I was in Twelfth Night in high school, so I was excited to see a remake, but I hope they stay fairly true to the plot. I have to say, though, her face is like so feminine, and her supposed guy voice is so not guy-like, that I hope it's more believable in the actual version.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 06:01:59 PM »
Yes, Shrain, the soccer bit at the end made me laugh out loud as well.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:18:24 PM »
While I haven't seen the trailer (my work computer blocks movies) I must say that I'm reticent.  I've always blamed Twelfth Night for the imbecilic Hollywood idea that all troubles can be solved by dressing up like someone of the opposite gender.  Whether or not this movie is based on Shakespeare, the idea is still ridiculous.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 06:27:11 PM »
The idea is ridiculous, and carries with it a suspension of disbelief that is harder to swallow than most fantasy movies. And I'd be willing to bet that our modern use of gender-switching plots can be traced directly to Twelfth Night and its companions.

The irrefutable theme of every modern gender-switching movie is that a man dressed up as a woman is inherently more attractive and competent than a normal woman, which I find stupid and insulting to watch. For some reason, though, stories about women dressed up as men (as is the case with Twelfth Night) tend to be more balanced.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 06:35:55 PM »
Everybody remember "Tootsie"?  Not so attractive.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 06:37:01 PM »
Not so attractive.
But that was part of the story. Everyone comments on how masculine s/he looked.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 07:25:03 PM »
So, I usually hate groin humor, but that was a funny twist that I wasn't expecting, so I'll admit, I laughed.

This movie does look like it's bordering on sucking, though, so trepidation is a good word for it.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 07:29:46 PM »
Tootsie was not attractive, but manged to get hit on by two men and proposed to by one, not to mention becoming a national icon for feminism and women's rights. I happen to love the movie, but there's that theme again: a man dressed up as a women is inherently better at it than an actual woman.

edit: the best part of the soccer thing is her little "oh right," at the beginning. Very funny, and great comic timing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 07:34:45 PM by Fellfrosch »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
The gender issue worked in the Shakespeare version of the play because Viola pretended to be a eunich when she was in disguise.  It didn't matter that she wasn't masculine.  I doubt they used the same excuse here, which makes the whole thing harder to swallow.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 07:31:51 PM »
Fell, I think your take on Shakespeare is slightly amusing given the way the plays were done in Shakespeares day. They were performed with a lot of tacked on sex humor and it wasnt untill later more prudish folks came along that a lot of the sex was bled out of the plays.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 07:38:50 PM »
Oh, his plays are loaded with sex, it's just handled differently from the way we do it now. I'm not holding up Shakespeare a paragon of Victorian sensibility, by any means.

I do want to point out, though, that all we know about the actual performance of his plays is conjecture. I mean really--we can't even confirm that he wrote them, so we're a far cry from knowing exactly how the performance (the one aspect that cannot be preserved for posterity) was handled.