Author Topic: review: Halo 2  (Read 2561 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Halo 2
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: review: Halo 2
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
I
Halo 2 serves as a well needed change from the original Halo. It provides much better sound and graphics than its predecessor making it the more dominating version even though it's not the original. If you want to have a good game time with your nerved not jumping with every turn you make, Halo 2 is the way to go.
I disagree. Granted, Halo 2 had better sound and graphics. It also has more options as far as game types, and so on. There are even some new aspects of gameplay that I enjoy, such as the ability to board vehicles. However, it also changed/eliminated many of the elements important elements of Halo. The result is that Halo 2 is lacking many of the dynamics that made Halo such a success in the first place.
Examples:
Alternate attacks: By alternate attacks, I mean grenades and melee attacks. When I first started playing the Halo series, the dynamic of alternate attacks was one of the first aspects of the game that caught my eye. Traditionally, first-person shooters have shunted these to the side. For example, I don't believe that Unreal Tournament has either grenades or melee attacks. In other games, like Medal of Honor, for instance, both are included, but are unwieldy to use. Halo is the first game that I have played in which both of these attacks played an important part. However, in Halo 2, both of these aspects received severe handicaps. The throwing distance for grenades has been downgraded. It has been a while since I have played Halo 2, but I believe their damage radius/effectiveness has been lowered as well.
Melee attacks have been weakened in much the same way. Also, neither of these aspects can be used in combination with one of Halo 2's new features: dual-wielding.
Dual-wielding: Dual-wielding is an attractive feature. However, for what it adds tot he game, I think that it takes away a lot more. For example, it takes some of the strategy away from trying to obtain better weapons. If you start out with a weapon that can take away all of the opponent's shields in one hit, and you can pick up another weapon to be finishing off your opponent at the same time, it makes specialty weapons such as the shotgun redundant. It also takes away from some of the other elements, such as grenades and melee attacks, which have been weakened in Halo 2.
Weapon-set - This is one area where everyone expects things to change. From game to game, even in direct sequels, the weapons are expected to change. However, there were some things I didn't like about the new weapons. For example, although new weapons were added, several of them were merely Covenant/Human counterparts to already existing weapons. On the other side of the sniper rifle, they added the Beam rifle, which is, essentially, the same weapon. They replaced the Pistol, the most versatile weapon in Halo 1, with the Alien Carbine and the Battle Rifle, neither of which is as effective as the Pistol.Then there is the energy sword. Yes, the sword is fun to use. However, especially in close quarters maps, it is just ridiculous. When you can kill an opponent in one hit, lunging across a room, no matter where you hit him/her, with that much ammo, the weapon is unfair. Especially since there is usually only one sword on the map, so you won't have to worry about competition with the same weapon. Even the shotgun can't kill in one hit from that far away.
No fall damage: This is a small thing, but it makes a difference. In Halo 2, you can jump off of the top of most maps, and as long as you land at the bottom, instead of going off a cliff, you won't be hurt. This takes away one of the biggest tactical disadvantages to high ground. Usually, high perches are relatively confined, so that if someone is shooting at you, you don't have very much room to manuever. Now, one can simply walk off a ledge, with no ill effect.
Pacing: Halo 2 is paced to be a faster game. While it is still not as fast as Unreal Tournament or Quake, it is still significantly faster than Halo 1. Why is this bad? Because it eliminates strategy. It leans more toward rushing your enemy head on, and shooting him/her more than he/she shoots you. In Halo 1, because of the slower pace, one could take more time to position, and develop an overall strategy, rather than just rushing head-on.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus