Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia  (Read 6642 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 12:12:45 PM »
I said that Narnia would probably suck, Fuzzy, whereas you said Dukes of Hazzard was already a "travesty" and condemned someone for looking forward to it. Though, to be fair, you condemned Scott Kurtz, who is always worthy of condemnation, so it all even sout.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 01:09:15 PM »
I...but it's also the company that gave us Jackie Chan's Around the world and the latest 100 million loss to Disney, Sahara.

I really liked Sahara.  It was fun.  They were very true to the books (Clive Cussler)  In fact, the fact that they made Sahara and Holes makes me have more hope for Narnia.  Now I'll have to go see that Jackie Chan flick you mentioned...

Sprig, you are fast becoming a contra-indicator for me on movies.  ;D
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 01:16:16 PM »
Well Sahara cost about 160 million to make and didn't barely hit 60 million in the states so that's a bomb in the movie business.

If my taste is an indication you'll like or dislike a movie then I can't complain, I regulary tell people I think you have poor taste in movies myself.  So I guess things work out fine.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 01:28:35 PM »
none of you have any taste in movies. I don't know why you bother talking about it

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 01:31:11 PM »
I used to have taste in movies but I sold it on the peru black market and bought some more computer games.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2005, 02:52:26 PM »
My brother-in-law is the perfect contra-indicator for movies. For example: he hated Two Towers, loved Pearl Harbor, and thought that The Fast and The Furious should win several Oscars.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 07:24:56 PM »
from Sci-fi's news breifs

Walt Disney Studios has struck a deal with EMI Music to produce two soundtracks inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe: one headlining mainstream Christian music artists, the other, pop and rock, Variety reported.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2005, 11:06:34 AM »
What are we told by that snippit?
Christian music stars?  
I guess Disney isnt abandoning the Christian themes

Remember that Disney is so huge that the Left hand often has no idea what the right is doing.  
Casting condemnation on an unseen movie because of it's Production company is absurd.  
To get an idea of where it will go, look at the PEOPLE involved, not the mindless organization writing the checks

As Director we have Andrew Adamson
Shrek 2 (2004)
Shrek (2001)
Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party (2001) (V)
Something of a newcommer but I LIKED Shrek.... May not be on the same level as we hope Narnia will be, but then again, look at Peter Jackson's list before LOTR

Anyway, I was unaware that this film was in production until I saw the trailer last week.  
I was bouncing in my seat with joy.  Looks great to me

Alles!!!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2005, 11:23:43 AM »
Casting condemnation on an unseen movie because of it's Production company is absurd.

Actually, it's not absud at all. Certain companies have been known to not produce as high as quality movies as other comapanies. Disney has become one of those in recent years, though they seem to be getting better. Paramount is one. And MGM used to be one of those, but they have now been dissolved into nothing, so they don't matter anymore.

In fact, some, like Paramount, have done such a good job of destroying the careers of many directors and other movie personel, that many in the industry won't work with them.

The root problem is that since these companies see that they are footing a large part of the bill, the board of directors feel that they should get some say into what is in the movie. Of course, they typically aren't script writers or directors or anything like that, so their mandatory suggestions have a way of being destructive.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

CinderEllie

• Level 3
  • Whoever Wrote This Episode Should Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2005, 12:02:09 PM »
While Disney doesn't have the best track record for preserving storylines, I am still encouraged by the fact that Weta is involved. They do great work and I think what they do in terms of costuming, sets, and props, etc., really helped actors in LOTR push the envelope--to take things even more seriously.
I watched lots of the extra sections on the LOTR DVDs where they show the Weta people in action. Very interesting and impressive. So this gives me hope, plus the fact that Holes came out really great. It's a great movie. Still, there is the possibility that Disney could "sterilize" LWW like they did countless other stories, real and fairy tale.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 06:34:05 PM by CinderEllie »
Nothing beats chocolate on a bad day, unless you're an M&M

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2005, 12:45:29 AM »
Pssst... it's Edmund.

I think Susan looks like a cross between Jennifer Connelly and Kate Beckinsale.
~금강산도 식후경~

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2005, 12:59:21 PM »
A cross between Jennifer Connely and Kate Beckinsale? Well crap, now I have to see the move.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2005, 07:54:42 PM »
Maybe it's the scholar in me, but I'm sort of wondering why everyone seems to be so keen on fidelity to the story line.  Just because they can "reproduce" the plot on the screen is no indicator of how good or bad the final product will be.  I've seen it go both ways before--I'll reserve my judgment on the film until I've actually seen it.  Right now, I think there's enough out there to give fans of the series hope.

1--The success of Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ ought to be more than enough proof that a "Christian" movie can do gangbusters at the box office.  If anything, I would think that this would make the producers want to play UP the Christian themes rather than vice versa.

2--The production quality looks good.  They have the budget to do it right, and I liked the overall look as seen in the trailer.

Still, there's not enough out there yet to know for sure.  If anything, I'm a little worried that they'll let themselves be too influenced by the success of LOTR.  Narnia is NOT Middle Earth, after all.

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2005, 11:08:01 AM »
Narnia is NOT Middle Earth, after all.

Though it was influenced by Middle Earth.  Tolkien and Lewis would often bounce ideas off each other and read to each other what they were working on.  
In fact, Lewis even includes "Numenore" though his spelling is diffrent from Tolkien, as he heard the name from JRR verbaly.  
Alles!!!

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2005, 12:18:58 PM »
True, but as far as I'm aware, it wasn't as if Lewis saw the grand success of LOTR and thought, "I can do that and make money, too."  My point is that LWW was filmed in New Zealand and has the same computer FX company as LOTR (Weta).  It's seemed to me that (besides the Lion King shot at the end) a lot of the trailer bears a stronger resemblance to the overall look of LOTR than I had hoped.  Don't get me wrong--I loved LOTR, but I would be disappointed if it seems like Mr. Tumnus might come across Legolas or Gimli at any moment.  However, as I said, I don't think you can judge a movie by its trailer--I have high hopes for this film.