Author Topic: 42's Therapy Thread  (Read 24102 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: 42's Therapy Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2004, 02:39:05 PM »
Other metro areas with less stress included Orange County, California, Nassau-Suffolk in New York, and Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.

*sob* I want to go home!!

Unhappy single make unhappy married. And I think that has something to do with our personal development. The guy I wanted to marry in high school would be so wrong for me, I'm glad I waited until I was ready.

My dad says that DIDs are fun to date because they make you feel important--you can solve their problems and help them, but when you marry them it's gets really exhausting, because you can't get away from it. Every morning you wake up to every night when you go to sleep, you are expect to be solving that persons problem. And on top of that the DIDs resent you for bossing them around all the time.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2004, 03:26:33 PM »
Which reminds me, you STILL have my name spelled wrong in your signature.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2004, 08:25:26 PM »
That's weird. Sorry.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2004, 10:17:37 PM »
ok, i'm glad this thread is here, because it makes me a little more comfortable bringing it up.

I'm swinging depressive. It sucks. I feel trapped and powerless, unable to do things. What's worse, I feel guilty (yeah, we've been over that ground already, I know) because objectively I don't have any good reason to feel these ways.

Anyway. bleh. Don't know what else to say. Don't know what brings on my swings, but there you go.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2004, 10:31:36 PM »
Um does that mean that your having a mood swing?

Are you ok?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 10:32:24 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2004, 10:39:12 PM »
That happens to me too from time to time. Sometimes I just have to retreat into something, like a book or a movie, or just feel sorry for myself and cry for no reason. Then, weirdly enough, I often feel better after that. Even though I try to focus on the positive, to help myself feel better in general, I just have to allow myself to feel sad from time to time. If you tend toward depression (like I do, as well), lots of times people say "all you have to do is pretend to be happy and then you'll eventually be happy." I know that changing your thoughts do help with depression, but I think it's also okay to recognize that you can't be up all the time.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2004, 10:39:24 PM »
yeah, a pretty major one, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be humble or anything. If anything, I feel teh need to establish my territory and domain even more resolutely.

Eh. Kirsti was supportive tonight, suggested a day for roleplaying or something. But that's the point, wth am I going to do that?
A) I have to work
B) I have to find someone to do it with who also has time off at the same time
C) I have to go this this traffic class on Saturday, so I don't even have a weekend this week.

Stupid life.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2004, 10:39:35 PM »
this might cheer you up... or get you singing a groovy song

My makeup is dry and it clags on my chin
Im drowning my sorrows in whisky and gin
The lion tamers whip doesnt crack anymore
The lions they wont fight and the tigers wont roar

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
So lets all drink to the death of a clown
Wont someone help me to break up this crown
Lets all drink to the death of a clown

The old fortune teller lies dead on the floor
Nobody needs fortunes told anymore
The trainer of insects is crouched on his knees
And frantically looking for runaway fleas

So wont someone help me to break up this crown
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 10:40:46 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2004, 12:07:54 AM »
I get accute bouts of depression. They really suck. One thing that I have realized is that when I get hit with accute depression I go into a kind of tunnel vision. I've also realized, like what stacer was saying, that I can't really fight it when it happens. A lot of it is just letting it pass safely. My tendency is to grab a nearby sharp object and start adding to my scar collection. That is a bad way of coping, but part of it is that I have a really hard time crying so I use cutting to relieve the pressure.

More effective, is for me to physically move my location and do something different than what I was doing before. Sometimes I have to try a few things before I find something that can occupy me. I sometimes get into my car and drive somewhere jst to get perspective. Course sometimes I can't push out the thought to crash my car or run it off a cliff, so I don't drive. I can use cleaning, shopping or random service acts to give me  a quick fix, but sometime that just avoiding the issue.

If that doesn't work, then I call someone. Parents, siblings, friends, whoever is available. If no one is available then I call my therapists. If my therapists aren't avaible then I call a crisis line. If the crisis-line or therapist doesn't help, well then it's to the hospital. I hope you don't get as self-destructive as I get to have to be hospitalized.

The point is that, for me, I have to do something to get perspective on things. Breaking the tunnel vision can be really difficult, particularly since it often gets to the point where nothing anyone says means anything. It like people are talking and giving suggestions that are really good ideas, but those ideas just can't sink in for some reason. It just takes time for the good things to sink in.

One thing I try to remember, is that for all the bad things that happen, something good has got to happen eventually. So if I can just hold out, then maybe something good might happen to make up for the bad things.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2004, 07:31:36 AM »
well, I don' t get suicidal.

But I also can't really change my routine. I'm locked in. So even if I can motivate myself to do something about the depression, I don' t have the option. Now that I'm in the professional world and not working on student jobs, I can't just call in sick whenever I need to take a break. between that an commute, there's nearly 10 hours of my day. Evenings are tough too.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2004, 11:27:20 AM »
Here's my own little challenge lately. I think I'm getting better at handling it, but sometimes I can get a little obsessive over particular things, especially the really positive and the really negative. For example, on the positive side, I had a date this last weekend. Fun, and a little unusual for my life. Nice. He's a nice guy, and we have a good time together. We're good friends as well.

So now I find myself fighting the urge to think way too much about this subject. And now at church activities, I wonder how I'm supposed to act, and tend to go for the opposite of showing too much interest, and then almost ignoring him as I try to mingle. Or I  end up trying to start conversations with him, and even though we've been friends for months, my mind goes blank and either nothing or nonsense comes out.

It seems to me that if I just stopped thinking about it, things might flow more naturally. And then again, maybe he's feeling as awkward as I am, and so I'm not the only one with the problem of trying to talk.

I do much better with changing my thoughts and redirecting myself when I have negative obsessive thoughts (how am I going to handle my finances, how am I going to get such and such assignment done, etc)--I've learned that I have to redirect my energy, focus on what I can do, let go of what I can't control, etc. But it's much harder when it's something interesting, like this.

Any thoughts?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2004, 11:34:30 AM »
I think you should start obtaining financial documents on this person. Make sure you know his routine. Find out what he does every second of every day. Trach each and every breath

KIDDING!

ah, the old over-thinking problem. The question is, why are you over thinking? Are you really eager to make this an intense romantic situation? Or do you just not know where to go next?

In the first case, well, is it HIM or the idea of the relationship that's more interesting? In the second case, make some decisions.
Until then, try to treat him like any other friend. If you want to do soemthing together, plan it and invite him. etc etc.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2004, 11:50:13 AM »
No, I'm not really eager to make it an intense romantic situation. That might be fun, but I'm thinking more along the lines of, wow, maybe there is something there... and wondering how I find out if there is something there--when the thing is I know that I'll find out as it happens, and there's nothing I can do to hurry up the process. I have no patience. I want to know the end from the beginning. I can't stand having Christmas presents sit under the tree. I'm that kind of person.

So I'm trying to just enjoy the friendship, but am wondering how I can get back that feeling I had last month of being able to tease him when I felt like it, tell him something if I wanted him to know it, flirt with him casually because I could--without wondering what his reaction is. You know? Just go back to being myself around him, instead of constantly worrying whether my self is good enough that he'll like me. So I try to be normal, but it's a stilted sort of normal, in which I'm hyperaware of him, which actually is exhausting and I wish I knew how to turn it off.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2004, 12:01:15 PM »
yeah, well, it's not necessarily the most helpful thing, or what you want to hear, but learn patience ("This vat can flash fry a buffalo in 5 seconds" "Oh, but I want it NOW!") -- note that this comes from a man who gets bored waiting for microwave popcorn.

My best remedy for impatience is distraction. I read email while I wait for my oatmeal water to boil. I brush my teeth while waiting for the shower to get warm. Heck, this is why I read in the bog (ok, yeah, I know, tmi). How to distract you from relationship anticipation? I don't know. I think this is what dates are for. You date the person while you wait to see if a relationship will work out with them.

This part isn't a solution, just an observation. If there IS something there, than it's because of how you acted around him. He didn't fall in love with the awkward bit. He started being interested because of how you acted around him ina  fun and casual manner. So, I dunno, stop caring so much how it works out. Zen like. Just be int he moment, and don't worry about how the moment will make him react.

Yeah, I'm so full of helpfulness.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2004, 01:38:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure I've said this a few times before elsewhere, but the thing with me and Jenny is I haven't had time to stop and smell the roses like you have stacer. Maybe find some things to take your mind off of it. Don't pscyhe yourself up so much, etc.

So, to touch on something I brought up elsewhere, I just noticed this feeling of insignificance. I'm not big on being a part of the community. Never was. So I never really got to know many people, or make many acquaintances and so on. And the same thing with back at school, although it's a tad different. At first I didn't really want to get to know anyone, what with my wanting to transfer out after the semester (but now I'm not until next year). I've a nice handful of friends, a few people in the up-and-up (administration and faculty kind) and am enjoying myself.

The thing is, I don't know why this thought brought me on the verge of breaking down last night. Maybe it could be because I see myself as an important person later on in my life. Being famous, or some big company CEO type. I'm sure everyone has those thoughts, but I actually want to do it. I want to be that actor everyone loves, I want to be that person that started a small business and things go well enough that it takes off.

So, now that I've made my intentions clear, what is it? (I don't have a good way to word my question.)
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo