Author Topic: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***  (Read 14807 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2003, 09:54:53 PM »
I think, though I am not 100% certain, that the Stark company logo was on the plastic cell wall where Magneto was being housed at the end of the first film.  I will have to go back and check, though.  
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2003, 10:53:42 PM »
I have also heard from a friend at school today that when whoever it was that was searching for Magneto's name there was Gambit's real name above or below it. I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but I liked the sound of it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2003, 11:53:37 PM »
Check my "easter egg" post one page back. Good 'ol Remy is in there along with many, many others.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2003, 10:13:59 AM »
Ok, I just accidentally wrote a frickin' essay to Scott Kurtz. The short of it is that my only serious concern about Bryan Singer's filmmaking ability was resolved just by writing it out. I now see how The Once and Future King is appropriate for Prof X to bring up again at the end. Wow, there's some good stuff there. If anyone is interested in reading it, I can post, but it's long-ish so I'll only do so if asked.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »
Post it, im interested.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2003, 10:55:42 PM »
Not only that, but "The Once and Future King" is the title of the current story arc in Ultimate X-Men, which deals with the return of Magneto and how he attepts to take over the world.

"Gee, Magneto, what are we gonna do tomorrow night?"

"The same thing we do every night, Sabretooth: try to take over the WORLD!"
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2003, 11:20:54 PM »
Frankly, using the current story arc title isn't sufficient to justify it's use. Plus I wasn't upset about Magneto reading it, I was concerned about Prof. X, cuz i couldn't see the relevance. But then I wrote this, and you can see my mind changing as I work through it:

Begin quote:
I wasn't bothered by the lack of Cyclops. He kind of annoys me. The biggest hole I see is that I can't figure out why they felt it necessary for Prof X (a physics teacher, if I remember from the first film) to bring up a discussion of Once and Future King with his students. I found it powerfully ironic and very well done to have Magneto read it, after all, in his own twisted way, he thinks he IS King Arthur and dreams of returning to power, making both the title and subject obviously relevant. The further irony of White being anti-war and Magneto starting one was also delicious.

But everything ISN'T all right at the end of OaFK. Everyone dies except one supporting character and page who introduced on the final page for the simple purpose of surviving (and also give a nod to previous Arthurian author Thomas Mallory). And on top of that, Arthur spends the entire book struggling with how his subjects don't agree with his dream and is forced to destroy everything he's built to retain a semblence of justice. Perhaps I can see how Xavier can identify with the ending of the novel, since he doesn't know if he'll ever achieve the idyllic "Camelot" where everyone lives in harmony, but he believes that what they're doing will eventually impact the world in the same way that the stories of Arthur do: ie, our memories of them inspire us to hope for it and live by it. Perhaps he even sees the fractiousness among the Mutants (which could be considered his "subjects") and he IS betrayed by a close friend (as opposed to Arthurs son, but we can't be too literal in our parallels, can we).

So I take it back, writing this email has convinced me that the parallel and sympathy Xavier has for the book is stronger than I previously gave it credit for.Ok, I feel better about being nearly as ecstatic as you for the film. Although this discussion now puts in disagreement with you about Xavier knowing "everything will be all right."
/End quote

End of Line.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2003, 01:44:09 AM »
Okay, I finally saw this movie so now I can read this thread. Yay! And I can even make comments.

You probably all noticed but since no one mentioned it I'll state it explicitly: the voice over by Jean Grey at the end is word for word identical to that given by Xavier at the beginning of the first movie. The talk of evolutionary leaps, combined with the image of the Phoenix in the water, was a very cool way of showing that Jean Grey just took a second leap forward--she's effectively become a supermutant. I thought it was great, and all handled very well.

(Of course, I'm the kind of guy who thinks that all their goofy trips to outer space and other dimensions and the future are just dumb. I think this is a better way to handle the Dark Phoenix saga because it cuts out all that goofy crap and keeps them here on Earth, where they belong. For that same reason I hope that Cable and Bishop and all their ilk stay far away from the movies, because they're just goofy. But that's my opinion, with which you are welcome to disagree.)

As for the next movie, I'd like to see a couple more good mutants (maybe Gambit, Psylocke, and real part for Shadowcat), but I honestly don't think they need too many. They've got a good group, Rogue and Iceman have uniforms, and they're ready to go. If they bring in new mutants I want them to be bad guys, like Juggernaught and Omega Red (which would call for the return of Sabertooth).

(Is this a good time to say that I also think the Sentinels are stupid? Man, for a guy who claims to like the X-Men I sure take issue with a lot of their standard icons.)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2003, 12:54:23 PM »
Having talked it over with some friends, I think the Sentinels could be cool if they got "Bryan Singer-ized." Get rid of the giant purple androids and portray them as sleek, raptor-style hunter/killer drones. That could be very cool.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2003, 01:20:19 PM »
The thing about the sentinels is giant purple robots works for comics. You can have several guys fighting a single one and it's overwhelming still. It works really well for a static image format where the only way to show several guys taking on one thing the same size is to pan out and use a whole spread for the picture. Not very efficient for a comic book where page real estate needs to be used more efficiently.

However, I have to agree. On the screen, that would be a little goofy, and it really wouldn't fit in with the mood Singer has established. I say yeah, shrink 'em down and make 'em like the Terminator or something. That'd be cool.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2003, 08:56:05 PM »
He're the latetes on what was going to be in X-2.  Sentanals were, but were cut for budget.  Angel was, they even had the wings built.  And beast again.  As for X-3, lady deathstrike will be back, they've allready signed kelly hu for a third which is odd sence she's dead.  Also Brian Singer said if he does the third one he's add angel, beast and Gambit.  He also said that x-2 was about Jene not so much Wolverne.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2003, 10:09:04 PM »
I'll be interested to see their exuse of how lady Deathstrike survived adamantium in her blood stream and body.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2003, 10:47:46 PM »
I don't know, but imagine how touch she'll be with half a metric ton of adamantium filling her body cavities.  Might slow her down a touch, though  ;)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2003, 11:09:35 PM »
I was thinking about that a little bit. Wolverine's body ejected the bullet in his head. wouldn't LD's body eventually manage to eject the adamantium? Sure, she'd be in raging screaming pain for days, but she heals, so, she'd live. And probably have a mad on for Wolvie.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2003, 12:14:28 AM »
According to the X-Men United novel (written by X-Men uber-guru Chris Clairmont), Deathstrike is a cyborg who's cybernetic systems remained fully intact and operational, even after she was loaded down with adamantium.  It was implied that she would be able to survive indefinitely until somebody found her.

Personally, I tend to agree with Sait in the idea that her body's healing factor would eventually push all the adamantium out anyway.  It would be very messy, but if Logan could survive when Magneto ripped all the adamantium out of his body, she could also.