Author Topic: Batman Begins (no spoilers)  (Read 9587 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Batman Begins (no spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 12:38:29 AM »
Ok, replied.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 01:08:32 AM »
And replied again.

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 02:00:04 AM »
For the record, we are NOT anti-Tim Burton. We love some of his films, including the first "Batman" (not a great FILM, but a heck of a good popcorn movie). As Fellsfroch said, it's a matter of personal taste - there's room to disagree here - I thought we made that clear.

Looking forward to "Charlie and the Chocloate Factory" with an open mind. Butron and Depp created magic with "Edward Scissorhands" and "Ed Wood". But they also made "Sleepy Hollow".
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 02:32:03 AM »
Sleepy Hollow is pretty good.  I generally hate talking to anyone exept maybe my brother about movies, cause I usually just end up wanting to punch them in the face for being stupid.  But the new Batman movie really is just that damn good.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 02:37:24 AM »
I also like Sleepy Hollow ,though I think it's probaly Burton's second worse file (behind Apes), it was a fun movie.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 02:43:31 AM »
Ha, Planet of the Apes is not bad.  All the apes look real cool, and I liked all their specialized weapons and armor.  Its not the best, but its not bad.  But I think I've had enough movie talk for now, better leave before someone tries telling me how Clash Of The Titans is better than LotR or something equally dumb.  Oh yeah, that reminds me, I'll go stick Appleseed in my backpack so you can watch it too.  If I sucker someone else into watching it, then I won't feel as stupid for having actually bought it.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 02:48:02 AM »
Sweet Thanks.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 09:36:05 AM »
Heh, I thought Burton's Planet of the Apes looked pretty. But for plot and character it didn't tough the original film, or the book for that matter.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 12:06:27 PM »
I made the mistake of reading Planet of the Apes once. Holy dull-o-rama.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 12:29:57 PM »
yeah, kind of the epitome of better idea than execution.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 12:40:44 PM »
I find it amusing that someone is accusing a reviewer of being ignorant because they DON'T slavishly applaud whatever a particular director does no matter the quality.  How ignorant.

As for my own opinion, Burton is cool, he's done some cool stuff but, as Fell has already pointed out, it's always style over substance.  Burton's name can be used as a adjective precisely because he's such a one-trick pony.  Whatever he does will be really stylistic and pretty and edgy-cool looking but if the subject matter doesn't happen to be a good fit with Burton's style, oh well, the style stays.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Allison Hill

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 01:22:59 PM »
That's what I was saying.  I HAVEN'T seen this movie, but the recommendation of two critics who think Nolan is a better director than Tim Burton is not going to make me rush out to see it.  I HAVE seen Insomnia, and yes, it was great--it actually gave me insomnia for a week.  I even own that movie.  But to say that Nolan is a better director than Tim Burton has EVER been seems a little generalized and silly to me.  They have very different styles, and if you like the one over the other that's okay, but to dismiss a director's entire body of work because the popcorn of a new movie is still stuck in your teeth seems a little hasty.  As far as Burton's individual movies go, Nightmare Before Christmas scares the crap out of me, so I don't think I've ever seen that one the whole way through.  But Edward Scissorhands--the UNedited version, Big Fish, Beetlejuice, and Sleepy Hollow are wonderful.  The style does overpower the characterization in some parts, but it doesn't actually detract from the whole of the movie, and that is the goal, isn't it?  

Allison Hill

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 01:26:04 PM »
by the way, I did not say they were ignorant because they didn't like batman and batman returns.  I said they were igorant because they said nolan was a better director than tim burton has even been.  and all your arguements about a one trick pony fall flat when you see Big Fish.  And if you don't agree with me, maybe you'd better watch that one again.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 01:26:48 PM »
but to dismiss a director's entire body of work because the popcorn of a new movie is still stuck in your teeth seems a little hasty.

Except they arn't. They are saying they like one better than the other. That is not saying burton is crap, just that they don't think he is as good as another director.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2005, 01:29:55 PM »
see, I'm going to make a big disagreement with you. Big Fish was in many ways, and overall, a very big disappointment to me. It was incohesive, flippant, internally nonsensical, and unmotivated.

Beetlejuice was ok, but even when I was a kid I thought it was a bit B-Movie and weak in terms of plot and character.

Nightmare was allright, I guess. I'm not entirely positive why people adore it so much though. It was fun to watch, but nothing in it either a) scared me, b) made me laugh more than a chuckle, or c) made me gasp in awe at the idea or artistic vision.

I think it's a fair statement, when you can say things like that about a person's directing career, that it's fair to say someone else, who has three critically acclaimed movies under his belt, is a better director.