Author Topic: Batman Begins (no spoilers)  (Read 9586 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Batman Begins (no spoilers)
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:16:11 PM »
Read the review: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1093

I'm so excited to see this movie.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Begins (no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 12:18:03 PM »
Me too. But I'm not going to read the review yet because even if it is "spoiler free" it could unwittingly spoil something.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »
Wait. Lucias Fox is a weapons designer? That's funny, I was dead certain that in every comic I've seen him in he's a wiz with finances and business administration. ARGH!
</gratuitous needless bashing of a movie for unfaithfulness>

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 01:10:05 PM »
Actually, the movie is rather faithful to the character of Lucius Fox. But I would have to give away too many spoilers to explain how.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 01:48:04 PM »
like I said, it's gratuitous. Fox is always a minor character, and not even that important at that. I don't care if they change things a little. But someone had to make the complaint.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 02:19:46 PM »
Lucius Fox is an awesome name, by the way. It doesn't really say "accountant" or "business administrator," but with a name like that you'd be good at anything.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Allison Hill

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 06:50:55 PM »
I'm not sure that I can take any review seriously that disparages Tim Burton.  You can say what you like about the 3rd and 4th movies, but Tim Burton is THE director for this genre.  Add to his direction the music of his genius friend Danny Elfman and you simply can't go wrong.  I have to wonder what exceptional experience these two reviewers have had in their lives that gives them leave to think, let alone print, such nonsense.  By this review, I have to assume that these two will not be viewing Willey Wonka next month.  And in fact, if it were up to me, I would revoke their Golden Tickets.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 07:20:13 PM »
Personally, batman 1 and 2 were rather silly and moderately dull films. Nothing that makes me think 'oh, i'd like to watch those again'.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 08:31:04 PM »
Tim Burton is good, but he's done far better than either of his Batman movies, which were poorly paced in a lot of sections (and a little out of balance overall). I would also like to point out that, in terms of analytical criticism, learning to recognize the faults in your favorite artists is one of the most important qualities you can possibly possess--no one is unilaterally good or or bad, and saying that a movie is good because of who directed it, rather than how they directed it, is a sign of closed-circuit thinking that does very little good for anyone.

I would further like to point out that Allison Hill is my sister, so everyone be nice. Only Mustard and I are allowed to be mean to her (though we perform this function admirably).

Allison Hill

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 09:08:25 PM »
I agree that Batman and Batman Returns are not Tim Burton's best films.  They're not even in the top five.  But the simple fact remains that Tim Burton's lesser films are better than other's best films.  All I was saying is that to say a relatively untried and untested director is better than Tim Burton displays the ignorance of the critic.  Also I can unilaterally support a director based on their name, if that director is consistently of a superior quality.  For example, Stanley Kubrick, Sam Mendes, and Terry Guilliam, whose work (with the possible exception of Eyes Wide Shut) has never failed to be groundbreaking and superior--as is Burton's.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 09:32:59 PM »
Have you seen the new batman? It seems that your arguement consists of stating that since your hero directed film X, that makes film X automatically greater than any other attempt to make a similar film. Which is total claptrap.

By that arguement, why bother making new films?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 09:47:39 PM »
Now we're getting into the realm of preference--you obviously like Burton much more than the average joe, so naturally you're going to take issue with a critic who doesn't. For my part, I can probably only name one Burton movie that I considered truly great: Nightmare Before Christmas. His movies in general show a trend toward style over substance, quirk over character, and an emotional detachment from his subject. Even Nightmare has a bit of that. That said, he's a great visionary and one of the only modern directors who's name can be used as an adjective--describe a movie as Burton-esque and just about everybody knows what you mean.

As for the review, there is only one line that could be considered a disparagement of Burton: "Nolan is a greater director than Shumacher and Burton have ever been." I haven't seen either of Nolan's other films, but I do know that you'd be hard-pressed to find a Burton movie that was as critically acclaimed as either of them.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 11:30:49 PM »
Just saw it and It's easly the best movie I've seen since LoTR: Two Towers and is much better then the two Burton Movies.  It gets me a warm and fuzzy inside knowing the next movie is going to have the Joker in it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 11:32:20 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 11:57:56 PM »
Just read the reveiw and this is the best reveiw by the Brothers yet, they keep getting better and better, keep up the good work guys.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 12:24:44 AM »
*snert*

Sprig, check your PMs.