Author Topic: DaVinci Code  (Read 13732 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: DaVinci Code
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 08:52:17 PM »
That's why she called it a "review," instead of a review.

You're right though Sprig - but the point was I wanted to summarize it so everyone else wouldn't have to watch it.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 09:09:23 PM »
Heh, No worried Fuzzy.  Your version was more interesting then the movie anyway.

Back to the DaVinci Code, how come I have this feeling that our movie reviewers will give this movie a 6/6?  Lately they've had a tendency to give out almost exact opposite scores compared with what RT had.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 12:32:14 PM »
Ebert gives it three stars.  (Although Ebert gives everything three stars.)
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
As much as I'm a Tom Hanks fan, I'll be quite surprised if I think "DaVinci Code" is a 6 clock movie. I'm probably more ambivalent about this movie than anything in quite some time. I guess I won't know until I see it. I love Hanks, and when Howard is on, I love him, too. But the novel has never caught my interest.

For the record, I couldn't care less about a movie's RT rating. I think the idea of averaging out a numerical rating like that is, at best, unreliable. But I do keep up to date on what most cirtics are saying. Our rating for "United 93" was nearly identical to that of most leading critics (as is our upcoming review of "Poesidon"). Patrick liked "The Promise" better, and we both enjoyed "Stick It" more than most critics. "Mission: Impossible III" recieved mixed enough reviews that gauging an average is difficult.

The thing that has to be remembered about film critisicsm is that, in the end, it is subject to the opinions and tastes of the individual critic. Art and entertainment are subjective. After all, as hard as it is to believe, there are a few people out there who liked "Fantastic FOur" better than "King Kong", ;D

There are plenty of critics out there. Trust the one who's taste fits yours the best.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:20:41 PM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

SUPER HAMBURGER

• Level 1
  • do do de da ddddoooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 09:20:09 AM »
im going to see the da vinchi code tomorrow  :D  :D   :D
mmmmmmmm bigmac, mmmmmmmm cheese burger, mmmmmm any random burger

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 01:38:10 AM »
oh. my are goish thats bein kool  8) 8) 8)

Seriously, knock it off, someone who has been banned as often as you should take a hint already.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »
If I were to write movie reviews, I only wish I could come up with opening lines like this:

"You know a movie's a dud when even its self-flagellating albino killer monk isn't any fun."

I'm very unexcited about this movie.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 02:01:04 PM »
Wow, this took in 77 million over the weekend, and it had the largest overseas opening of any movie.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 02:51:25 PM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 03:41:30 PM »
Wow, this took in 77 million over the weekend, and it had the largest overseas opening of any movie.

I don't know about the overseas opening - I know it is the second highest world wide opening ever (right behind "Revenge of The Sith"), but that really doesn't mean as much as it sounds like it does. Very few blockbusters are released in domestic and foreign markets simultaneously - the movie only ranked as 13th biggest opening in the U.S.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 05:16:01 PM »
So in that review, you missed the one thing that I couldnt help fixate over (yes Im superficial)...
What the hell was with Tom Hanks' hair?!
They were trying to give him this like crazy Harvard Prof look, it just looks sketchy!

Oh, and the book, I loved it, the movie... nooot so much...
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 07:11:33 PM »
So in that review, you missed the one thing that I couldnt help fixate over (yes Im superficial)...
What the hell was with Tom Hanks' hair?!
They were trying to give him this like crazy Harvard Prof look, it just looks sketchy!

Oh, and the book, I loved it, the movie... nooot so much...

Um . . . he was a Harvard Professor?

I do not remotely understand why Tom hanks is such an issue - I like his hair in the film. It's a good look, and it makes him not look look just like Tom Hanks.

The more I talk to fans of the book, the more it sounds like the movie was a very slight improvement, but I'll admit I can't judge that for certain. But this is a big problem I have (at least with what was presented in the film):

Ian McKellan asks "Why isn't the Grail in the painting of The Last Supper?"

Because the Grail is a load of dingos's kidney's. It originated in Arthurian legend - it is not a part of any religious theology. But ignore that. His point is, it's the supper, they are drinking the wine, they had to have something to drink it out of, ergo, the Holy Grail. But the grail is Mary Magdelene.  Okay, now I get it! They drank the wine . . . out of Mary Magadelene? What?

"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 07:17:49 PM »

...But the grail is Mary Magdelene.  Okay, now I get it! They drank the wine . . . out of Mary Magadelene? What?

Ok.  That's it.  You just made me pee my pants laughing.  I'm going home.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Akeyata

• Level 3
  • XENA!!!   nuff said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 11:27:51 PM »
I had to wait a few minutes after reading this review before I posted a reply because so many things rushed into my mouth I was choked silent.  I do not want to make this a big thing, but I have a few points I want to make.

Point 1--It's a novel.  Now it's a movie.  Stop getting offended.  If you've been living in a hole for the last year or so and had no idea what the movie/book was about then I'm sorry, otherwise why did you go see it if you knew you were likely to be offended by the content?

Point 2--"professor of Cockamamie Theology"?  because you don't believe that there have been meaningful symbols throughout time?  I would love to hear defense of that one.  Every religion has it's symbols, every country, every business, every trade.  As Dan Brown points out many times, most of the symbols used in the books are not used or recognized any more as they were originally intended, otherwise the Code would not be a code.  I would also like to point out that the study of history in every institution of higher learning includes a discussion of--if not emphasis in--symbols and their relation to history.  

Point 3--this is a minor irritation to be sure, but an irritation nevertheless.  Sir Ian McKellan has done so much more with his life than one insignificant trilogy, it seems slightly off-putting to pidgeon-hole him that way.

Point 4--This movie was never intended to be an adventure, if you want a Dan Brown story to fit that description, read Angels And Demons.  This is a story about intrigue, which like it or not, is wordy.  It is about intellectual problems, which require thought and debate.  To make this story an adventure, and leave out the "lectures" would make a completely different story.  which brings me to

Point 5--which is a lot like point 1.  This story is what it is, and it has never been any different.  The book would not have sold like it did, if some people were not intrigued by this story.  This is a matter of personal opinions of course, but I would like to point out that as far as plot holes and believability, take a look at some of the movies this site has registered very good reviews for, such as King Kong, Napoleon Dynamite, Saw, Hulk, Collateral Damage, among others.  These movies got much better reviews than this one, and the only reason I can see is that this movie offends the unthinking christian.  I say unthinking because, either you didn't realize that this story offended you and thusly avoided it (an opinion I greatly support), or you had no idea that the historical events mentioned actually took place and are therefore presented with new information to shake your faith.

Point 6--the idea of the holy grail has been around in religions and cultures since the ancient egyptians, actually.  The concept of a chalice or grail "carrying" religion is first recorded in the tombs of the ancient Pharoahs, and is a common theme among religious literature and art in all theologies.  Brown's adoption of the grail equals Mary Magdalene is an echo of miriad theologians, philosophers and scholars...perhaps this movie requires the skeptical audience to do some homework.

Basically, as I have been in trouble before for arguing people's individual opinions, I have no objections for not caring for the story of this movie.  But trying to tear holes in something one knows very little of often results in stabbing the sidewalk with a feather.  Perhaps then those "wordy lectury" portions of the movie had a purpose.  It seems to me that if one is going to view a movie with the purpose of writing a review, or even simply understanding the movie to it's fullest, one has two choices, a)take the movie on faith that it knows what it's talking about, or b)do some research and decide for yourself.

To quote Benjamin, Earl of Beaconsfield Disraeli, "It is much easier to be critical than to be correct."   It seems to me that a better task for a "critic" or "reviewer" on a site like this might be to figure out and explain precisely why material is appealing to the masses as this movie surely is, or why not, when it's not, like MI III surely is not, whatever the reviewers personal opinions are.  Such reviews are helpful, informative, and interesting to read, but alas, they take the power of original thought regardless of theology, bias, or closed-mindedness.

This post has been, (unless otherwise stated), my personal opinion.

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 12:16:23 AM »
Ok out of that lovely critical post I have to post a critical post, just cuz Im cool like that, and I need to kill some time... (woo time-wasting...)

" Point 1--It's a novel.  Now it's a movie.  Stop getting offended.  If you've been living in a hole for the last year or so and had no idea what the movie/book was about then I'm sorry, otherwise why did you go see it if you knew you were likely to be offended by the content? "

Oh man do I agree with this. ITS A NOVEL. I am so tired of seeing commercials "I can cite where in Dan Brown's novel he is making things up!" Ok yes, he made LOTS up, its a NOVEL, a work of FICTION. Get over it people.

" Point 5--which is a lot like point 1.  This story is what it is, and it has never been any different.  The book would not have sold like it did, if some people were not intrigued by this story.  This is a matter of personal opinions of course, but I would like to point out that as far as plot holes and believability, take a look at some of the movies this site has registered very good reviews for, such as King Kong, Napoleon Dynamite, Saw, Hulk, Collateral Damage, among others.  These movies got much better reviews than this one, and the only reason I can see is that this movie offends the unthinking christian.  I say unthinking because, either you didn't realize that this story offended you and thusly avoided it (an opinion I greatly support), or you had no idea that the historical events mentioned actually took place and are therefore presented with new information to shake your faith. "

I think you may be getting a little too overly critical here hun. I liked this movie, but it was not fantastic. There was a lot lacking. It didnt even remotely measure up to the book in my opinion. The other movies (I havent seen Napoleon or Collateral so Im going off what Ive heard) are great for what they are SUPPOSED to be. This movie... is slightly lacking for what its supposed to be.
This movie had a lot of potential that I dont think it lived up to.
Despite this, I liked the movie, it was enjoyable. In fact I am going to see it for a second time with my parents this week.

I really didnt find the review to be close-minded at all. But thats just my opinion. And everyone has the right to that right?
:) ;)
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...