Author Topic: Star Wars minis: Revenge of the Sith  (Read 1610 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Star Wars minis: Revenge of the Sith
« on: May 05, 2005, 12:32:27 PM »
Read it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1055

One thing Spriggo didn't mention which I thought was very cool was the sub-faction of Wookies within the Republic faction. They only get four units--a melee fighter, a ranged fighter, a commander, and a Chewie--but they have a cool look and feel, and I immediately decided to make a team of them. Neat stuff.

Regarding the repeats, I actually approve of how they've done it: filling multiple common slots with different sculpts of fodder units is a nice way to get lots of them, and you need lots of them if you're going to do anything useful with them. D&D minis don't do this, which means that it can be incredibly difficult to collect a sizable army of orcs or goblins--little faceless units that you need a lot of.

As for different versions of main characters, I kind of like that too. One of the big problems with early versions of the Star Wars and Star Trek card games was that the main characters were all rare, so you ended up playing with extras and uninteresting nobodies. If I play Star Wars, doggone it, I want to play with Luke and Han. Later editions of those card games have done the same thing the Star Wars minis do: they put out multiple versions of the main characters, often in the same set, because this assures that people will be able to get them and play with them more easily.

Of course, Spriggan probably has twice the amount of figures that I do, and I'm sure that pulling the same stuff over and over gets old when you've opened as many boosters as he has.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Star Wars minis: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 03:27:52 AM »
My problem isn't so much the repeats in this set but that we'll allwayse be getting multiple repeates of characters in every set.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 01:44:19 PM »
True, but I think that's inherent to the setting. Who else are they going to make characters of?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 01:48:54 PM »
It is a problem with the setting, but it dosen't make it any the less annoying.  But I don't mind so much getting a new luke every few sets as getting one emperor every set or 3 grevious in a set.  There are lots of named characters in the movies and EU that could and probaly will be made, instead of 3 chewies in 4 sets how bout placeing someone else in there?  They need to space out the named characters a bit more, and as I mentioned they've just finished with the actual "movie" sets so hopefully there will be better spaceing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 01:50:53 PM »
That's true. And even though some repeats are expected, two Grievous (and two Anakins) in a single set is a little over the top.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 11:13:37 PM »
Hey! I just picked up three boosters and I think I did pretty well.  I got a Grievous and a Darth Tyrannous.  I'm not sure yet which is the rare in the other.

Woo hoo!