Author Topic: Character Miniatures  (Read 2096 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Character Miniatures
« on: April 25, 2003, 06:42:56 PM »
I bought a miniature to represent Gregory today. I buy one for EVERY PC I make (and I require players to have one. Doesn't have to be a real model, little lego men work fine if they want, but I think it's cool to have a mini.), and those are the only minis I buy, therefore, I'm not picky about what brand I get as long as it communicates the character. For example, Monique (a NWN character) I ended up buying some elf chick and shaving her ears down. It was the only female I could find who had a long/short sword combo.

Anyway, the point is, I thought it was going to be very very difficult to find a "normal" guy not in Chainmail or celtic gear or a mech. I looked through the horror stuff, hoping they'd have a normal looking zombie or some victim with a look of terror but normal street clothes on (no luck, but I found a lot of female vampires wearing very little clothing -- unfortunately, lead just doesn't do it for me). Anyway, I never found a normal guy. But I found a line of superhero miniatures called Living LEgends made by Lance & Laser Models, Inc out of Columbus, Ohio. So I settled on a model called "Blue Jay" because he looked like a Robin/sidekicky/teenagery sort of fellow. He's got one of those stupid "Rocketeer" jackets on though. And a mask. And I don't ever envision Gregory putting on a costume as such. If anything, nondescript black outfit and a black mask, to protect anonymity, not to be flashy.

Should I bother trying to alter the model? Or should I just ignore the mask and say he's wearing a leather jacket?

PS, yes, I know we'll never need minis for this game, its just a habit I have of getting minis to represent my characters -- I still need one for Borg the Brave, and I can't decide what sort of mini to get for Zhom, since he started out looking like an ogre, eventually acquired horns, wings, and a tail, and then got turned into a gnome. So yeah, what do you do with that?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Character Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 06:47:07 PM »
amendment on that:
I looked at the mask again. I think I'm just going to call them thick glasses. Something needs to be done about the "blue jay" logo on the jacket though.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 11:06:20 AM »
heh, I dont get your mini fascination, especially since I dont think we've ever played with mini's...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 01:29:30 PM »
When was the last time we actually played a game? Wasn't it in Greensboro?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 01:35:14 PM »
No, we played after, and you told me as much a month ago.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 01:59:45 PM »
I think I'm lost...

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 02:03:32 PM »
Tage and I just got finished with a D&D campaign (well, a single adventure strung out over several months). One of the more amusing parts of that game was rooting through my boxes of Heroclix and Mage Knight before every session to find figures to represent our characters.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net