Author Topic: The Many Faces of Star Wars The RPG  (Read 1397 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
The Many Faces of Star Wars The RPG
« on: May 07, 2003, 11:00:51 AM »
Obviously one of the most lucrative titles in Gaming Star Wars has been through a few editions and a major rules change to D20.  
I definately have feelings about which system I liked best (D6 Second Edition revised) and which system I like least (D20) but I'm sure others among you have definitive feelings about it as well.

I re-watched Star Wars Episode IV (THX Edition- Pre Special edition) on friday and felt again the magic of the Star Wars Universe. That Magic allowed me to suddenly not hate Episode I (except for Jar-Jar) and to Violently hate Episode II.  (In episode I I felt that special effects were used to enhance a story while I felt that the story in Episode II was just special effects.) But I made a descision, and I went to C&W used books in Potomac Mills and picked up Almost all of the 2E Star Wars line at the expense of D20 SW 1st ed.

What I like about D6 is that a Player doesn't have to think about characters if they just want to start playing. Take a template Juggle 7pips around for skills and jump "Fast and Furiously" into play.

I also like the fact that a GM scripts SW like a movie rather than like a hack and slash D&D game.  Granted any GM can do that for any game but SW was written to encourage GM's to do that. Stock NPC cannon fodder, horrible evil villans and ideas for sound effects and scripts to get players in the mood. Great Fun.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: The Many Faces of Star Wars The RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 11:03:01 AM »
The coolest part about SW Roleplaing is that you have the best Minis and Playsets in the world availible to you. Action Figures!!!!!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 11:08:51 PM »
I think it's funny how you make it sound like there are more then 2 starwars systems. ;D  But you're right about the systems.  One think though is that you can just as easly make a character in the D6 version without useing a template.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 01:39:07 AM »
I loved d6 SW.  I was still in my mid teens or so when it first came out and just the thought of being able to play in the ubiverse that I had dreamed about since I was all of maybe four years old was just too much of a lure to pass up.  What most people expected to be a quick rip-off to cash in on Star Wars as the fame of the movies was starting to wind down was instead one of the most original and well thought out games to have ever come out of the late 80's.  

The free-flowing d6 system used in the WEG version was much more appropriate to the films that the rigid D20 version.  In particular the WEG rules for the Force were perfect.  The Force rules in D20, between Jedi levels, Force feats, skills, points, etc. had me re-reading the chapters quite a few times before it finally started to make any sense.

I still remember some of the old characters from the game we played that year: Niko Hawke the barroom bouncer who passed himself off as a tough-as-nails mercenary. Tashtego the Wookie shaman who was forced by the Empire to fight in the pits for their amusement. The Jawa With No Name who was feared as one of the deadliest gunmen in space.  Marisol Satori, the Jedi Knight who entertained dreams of being a dashing pirate.  Long Knife, the first true badass ewok.  They were all cool.

Ahhh, to be young and a gaming rookie again, back in a world that knew no D20 system.....
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly