Author Topic: Little Fears  (Read 2206 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Little Fears
« on: May 12, 2003, 11:49:08 AM »
Has anyone seen this game? Played it, liked it I have heard good general reviews but dont know if its any good for anything over a 1 shot.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: Little Fears
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 08:53:51 PM »
I like Little Fears a lot, although my group doesn't play it very often as some of us have small children and this game can be unsettling.  The game contains certain elements such as missing children, physical abuse, and child molestation.  Of course all these are optional just in case any of your players might be sensitive to the depiction of such things.  The system itself is quick and fun, and has the feel of a child's game.  You basically rate yourself for a few stats, make a note of what you are good at and what you suck at, and scribble down a ine detailing what you have in your pockets.

Depending on the tome of the game, the mortality rate can be high.  In our first game, all of the children but one were lost in the shadowy land inside the closets.  The one survivor has, unknown to her, been invaded by a succubus that will remain dormant inside of her until she hits puberty.  What will happen when the demon finally awakes and takes over the host child?  Well, that's another game.

Not too long ago I was discussing on Forge.net the possibility of adapting the concepts of Little Fears to the world of angry and troubled teens.  We have yet to put this idea to the test.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 09:30:20 PM »
Wow. That sounds like a game for very mature players. Your short description appeals to me for some reason. It is difficult to go into the reasons without sounding like a angsty goth. Suffice to say... i like exploring darkness. To me, the stuff that is abhorrent and horrifying in real life makes for riveting roleplaying. The first ever RPG i bought was Vampire after all.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 11:07:58 PM »
Little Fears has a much more visceral pull to it than the White Wolf stuff.  After all, none of us were ever REALLY vampires before (or so I hope), but all of us can relate to having been a frightened child at one time.

The game is relatively easy to find, although some stores may have it behind the counter.  It is only about $20 bucks or so; quite cheap by industry standards.  If you want darkness, this is the game for you.  It's a good game as well, not just a lurid product made to appeal to the sleazy lowest common denominator.  Pick it up if you can.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 10:44:22 AM »
Wow, it sounds very intense. I like dark games (although my counterpart Eric does not) especially when they have a meaning or purpose.
I also like the idea of playing kids. Thank you for your warning about the mature themes in the book though. Now I have to weigh the game much more carefully.
I have mature players but I dont know if they'll want to play. Especially since one of them has small children.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 01:05:49 PM »
Just to clarify, you are MY counterpart, not vice-versa.

And it's my WIFE who is bugged by creepy things, not me.

And yes, I don't like dark games. At least, not ones where the point is the darkness (not talking about anyone in particular *cough* White Wolf *cough*). I like being able to overcome the darkness. To grow beyond it. Being swallowed up in helplessness seems silly.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 01:09:12 PM »
I like being able to overcome the darkness. To grow beyond it. Being swallowed up in helplessness seems silly.

Well that rules out call of cthulhu, little fears, white wolf games and indeed, most horror games, films and books.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 01:32:29 PM »
Actually, not most horror films and books. Most horror films and books end up with at least one good guy coming out on top. But yes, it does rule out playing CoC. I just don't like futility. I don't believe that any struggle against darkness is truly futile.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 02:07:54 PM »
So if I bought it you would play? At least a 1 shot?

I was actually concerned because of your kids.

And to clarify some more we are equal opportunity counterparts.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 02:21:31 PM »
Yes, unless the point is that everyone dies or falls into darkness.

And no, you're MY counterpart. This story is about me.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 02:21:57 PM »
funny