Author Topic: review: Noir  (Read 1522 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: review: Noir
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 07:08:57 PM »
I wasn't expecting this to get posted so soon. I guess I can't complain.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 12:27:09 AM »
I played half a Noir game (One session out of a game where the second session never happened). I really liked it, and looking at the book, I really liked it too.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 12:45:57 AM »
Are you sure you are refering to the same game. There is a Noir rpg out there, published by Archon Games. The book I reviewed wasn't that. It was a setting suppliment for the Mutants and Masterminds RPG, published by Green Ronin.

I'm assumming when you say that you played a Noir game, you ment that you played the Noir RPG, not played in the Noir M&M setting.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 12:50:42 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 01:16:04 AM »
No, it was a Mutants and Masterminds game. I played a fedora wearing detective who could jump very high and was strong enough to punch through a brick wall. Another player had fire summoning type stuff, while the femme fatale could fly and snipe and such.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 01:41:19 AM »
Sounds like your GM didn't follow the book too closely.

The book clearly advises restricting flight and most other super-powers. It is meant to be for Power Level 6 characters at the highest.

I found that the entire book killed the fun of the Mutants and Masterminds system by forbidding most super-powers and super-feats.

I see the books dedication to Noir purity as its biggest downfall. Course, I am a huge fan of cross-genre games.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 01:41:53 AM by 42 »