Author Topic: A Moment of Silence  (Read 2247 times)

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
A Moment of Silence
« on: January 17, 2005, 12:54:06 AM »
Today a true American Hero has left us. A great man and a great father who has left a lasting impact on everyone who has spent anytime with him. To his survivors, please know that you are in my thoughts, and you all will carry on his legacy. Not knowing where else to turn to scream in frustration that such a noble man has been taken from us, I turn here to tell you that you will be missed. I ask for a moment of silence to honor this great man even though his time on earth was to brief.
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: A Moment of Silence
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 12:57:52 AM »
which man?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 01:04:52 AM »
I wish I could say, but it is not my place. Just someone who I look foundly too. I needed to say something since I will miss the memorial, and among friends seemed to be the best place to do it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 01:44:02 AM »
Today a true American Hero has left us.

Not William Katt, right?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 01:47:51 AM »
No, I just needed to vent and say what I was thinking. I know you are curious, but it truly is not my place to say. This is to honor those that we can't honor in person becuase we are going through an outage at work and not likely to get the time off due to them not being family. Even though he's like a dad to me, due to his son being like a brother.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 01:50:16 AM by Captain_Morgan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 03:29:34 AM »
I just heard about this from Nicadymas today. While I know Capt dosen't want to say, but I have no such resorvations in this case.   My prayers are with the family and I wish I was able to goto the Funeral.  I've known John Sumpsion, MoreDew on the forums, since I was in 5th grade and hearing about his fathers death wasn't something that was easy to take.

Scott Sumpsion was a great man, and someone that I have fond memories of from when I was growing up.  I know that none of the nebraska people know the recently departed, but he was a great father and human.

My heart felt condolences to John and his brother Nate, both who are TWGers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 03:33:58 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 07:51:03 AM »
My sympathies, Dew. I may have given you a hard time before, but know that my prayers are with you in a difficult time.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 03:11:41 PM »
It is a sad time for any who knew Scott Sumsion.  He was everything Capt. said and more.  All my best to John and Nate.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 04:53:50 PM »
He was a good man and my heart goes out to those who lost someone so close.  I don't known if I could go through something likes this.  I have lose something in my life from my past but nothing like this.  I wish there was something I could say.  Other than goodbye

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 10:47:08 PM »
Wow guys, thanks for the thread, your prayers and all the support you have given.  This last week and a half has been tough.  For those of you who don't know, my father passed away last Sunday.  He suffered a brain aneurism the Sunday before last.  During the week we were told that there was a big possibility that he wouldn't survive.  Towards the end of last week, his condition started to improve and we thought he was going to be okay.  Unfortunately, last Saturday night his brain started to swell and the hospital staff was able to drain the necessary fluids from his brain, but there was fluid that they couldn't reach to drain.  We got a call Sunday morning from the hospital and they told us to get there right away because my dad was going to pass away.  He passed away around 1 pm.   He passed away surrounded by loving family members and friends, and suffered no pain.  A truly wonderful man and father was lost and he will surely be missed.

Again, I want to thank you guys for all your support and prayers.  I want to apologize for not being able to call each and everyone of you right away because I've been busy with the funeral plans and helping out my mother.  Feel free to call me anytime if you want--you have my number.
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 04:39:21 AM »
If you'd suffer me, I'd like to offer my condolences as well.

Scott Sumsion was an excellent man and an amazing person.  Growing up, I found that if I wanted to measure the worth of a man, I didn't watch how he treated his peers--I watched how he treated young teenagers, like myself.  

Brother Sumsion wasn't just kind to the friends of his son, he went out of his way to befriend them himself.  My memories of him are of discussions about science fiction books, and of church activities where I could seek him out as an adult who wouldn't talk down to me.  He wasn't just pandering--he was genuinely interested in my interests.  He loaned me a few of the first science fiction books I ever read.

Mixed through this was the occasional bit of fatherly wisdom, and a generous helping of free pizza and Mountain Dew.  He was kind and accommodating to a bunch of crazy teenagers who stayed up late nights playing strange role-playing games in his basement.  Somehow, he understood how important this activity was to us.

For all these things, I am grateful to Brother Sumsion.  The world needs more men like him.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 04:40:13 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 06:03:02 AM »
My favorite memory is when, for Moredew's 16th birthday, he made a cake shaped like a cheerleader then told moredew "This is the closest you'll ever get to kissing a cheerleader."  That still cracks me up.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 06:46:17 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 11:04:16 AM »
Mine is when he had us over for breakfest after prom.  What a long night that was with all the dancing and whatnot and then finaly to go over to his house and hang out with just the guys.  What a fun night.  

mulchNator

• Level 4
  • "Let's get the hell out of here"  Army of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 06:13:45 PM »
Where to start that is a tough one.  I know that this thread was started months ago, and has served it's purpose well.  I however had not joined TWG until about a month ago.  I didn't not know about this thread until about a week ago.  I have been meaning to do this for some time so now here's my chance.

This thread was created and dedicated to the memory of Scott Sumsion.  Still to this day he lives in all of us!

I am glad that I had the chance and honor to know him, and his family the Sumsion's.  I had the priviledge of growing up with them all.  John(MoreDew) and I where like brother's inseperable, and we still are the same today.  I remember recieving the call, and not understanding how or what to feel.  My entire week was about being their for my family.  That is how I feel about the Sumsion's.  I am not related by blood, but by relation.  As a friend I stand before you a brother! Know this, if I could take his place or ever had the option to do so I would do just that without another thought.  I want to send you my love, and condolences to you all.  I know that this is the hardest thing for you all now, but know that you are never alone.  If you need anything, anytime you call on me or my family.  MoreDew you know how to reach me if you need me.

I would like to express how much we all miss him, and he will always be missed.  But when we think of him we can smile knowing he is now in a better place than we are today!  I remember hearing a comment at the funeral in regard to this. The tears just began to run at the thought of the loss, but as I thought of where he was right then and there, I felt a rush of peace come over me.  Then I knew that he was in fact in a better place.  That is the only thing that stopped my tears at the funeral.  The only person that knew about that was Nicadymus since he was sitting next to me at the funeral.  

Scott Sumsion was a father, brother, and a friend to all of us.  He will be deeply missed, and thought of often.  I personally will miss talking to Scott, and updating him about the latest things in my life.  That is the one thing that I will always remember about him.  How much he always cared for everybody else other than himself.  He always wanted to be involved in everybody's life not just his families.  That always meant so much to me.  I hope that someday I will measure up to the person that he was, and still is, in our hearts.  He was the one person that I wish I could be, and pray to God that one day, I will be.

God Bless, and peace be with you all, always!

Dave Trebelhorn (Mulch)