Author Topic: Cessation of discussion  (Read 17915 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Cessation of discussion
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2005, 10:07:35 PM »
Actually ir was locked for being long, and the girly thing was mostly a joke. Old superfly threads get locked.

You can continue talking girly on the new thread too, that's why there's a new one.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
They get locked around 20-25 pages historically. not 15.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2005, 02:58:54 AM »
And it was restarted by people who aren't involved in the nightcrew.  Which was rude and unneccessary.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2005, 03:33:38 AM »
God it was a JOKE people! Get a life and move on with it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2005, 03:43:40 AM »
I thought it was a joke. I figured it was just getting long.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2005, 03:51:58 AM »
God it was a JOKE people! Get a life and move on with it.

FOURTH ITEM: Be polite.  
I can't stress this enough.  Being insensitive to others' opinions is a failing of both newcomers and long-time posters.  Try not to contribute to this atmosphere. It is good to have strong opinions, and it's even better to have opinions that are different from those of other posters.  The forum experience is about discussion and disagreement.  However, you can disagree with someone without calling them names or otherwise insulting them.  Be nice and respect people's differences.

NINETH ITEM:  No swearing.
Duh.  If you swear, the admins will delete your post.  If you do it a lot, they'll delete your profile.  

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2005, 04:20:09 AM »
1) Where's the swearing?

2) I agree with Spriggan. It was a joke, you people do need to get over it. It wasn't a huge challange to anyone's authroity or gender. 15 pages is pretty long, and they started a new one right after. Hence, it's funny.

First item (Jam's Ammendment): Have a sense of Humour. If you don't have a sense of humour, Jam will hurt you. (Jam is of course joking, so if you're offended or intimidated by this you'll be hurt)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2005, 09:02:31 AM »
yeah, this was not targeted at anyone. It was not locked to stop you from talking. Sometimes threads get locked earlier than others.

If you seriously think I was trying to make anyone angry, get over it, because I wasn't. But I'm *really* tried of people making me out to be someone trying to be offensive. I can't stop you from doing that, but I can certainly ignore you. If that's the manner of your complaint, it will fall on deaf ears.

As for "not being involved in the night crew" -- I was under the impression that ANYONE was part of the night crew. ESPECIALLY since there are always a few posts added to it during the day.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2005, 10:31:21 AM »
But I'm *really* tried of people making me out to be someone trying to be offensive.  

I personally never think you're trying to be offensive, but given the amount of times you're accused of doing it?  Hmm, maybe that should tell you something.

Ok, it was a joke.  The people the joke was played on found it luke-warm humor at best.  Just don't keep doing it and we'll be fine.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 10:32:13 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2005, 10:52:11 AM »
if you don't think I'm trying to be offensive, then why don't you start off by assuming I'm not?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2005, 10:58:07 AM »
Because it's possible to offend without meaning to.

And when you do offend without meaning to, you seem to go straight into defensive mode (which is fair), but it would help a lot more if you just said, "Hey I'm sorry I offended you - it was supposed to be just a joke." instead of "It was a joke, you guys are so sensitive!"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 11:02:16 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2005, 12:10:52 PM »
wouldn't it *also* help for the offended person to actually BE less sensitive, realize that the offender didn't do it on purpose, and that maybe, just maybe, instead of threatening to leave the message boards, you could kindly point out that you didn't think it was in good taste?

I'm not arguing anymore about whether it was offensive. I'm arguing about the self-righteousness of the offended who never think that they could possibly do anything wrong when they get so indignant. It is my view that the person who finds a reason to be offended by an action, even after the first few arguments have been averted, has at least as much a problem than the original "offender."

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2005, 01:59:34 PM »
Okay, here's my two cents.

In a forum environment, it seems that it is not always easy to ascertain what people are saying. We don't have voice inflections and facial expressions to accompany actions/comments, so it is hard at times to determine if someone is joking or attacking--since humor, and particularly sarcastic humor, often plays along this fine line.

MsFish, I think I can say from her post, felt affronted. For that matter, I did to. I was enjoying the conversation stacer, MsFish, and I were having, and I felt put out that it suddenly got cut off. (However, I also can recognize that I was incredibly moody yesterday. I was very cranky on the phone with MsFish, so perhaps some of my crankiness rubbed off on her.) But I think now we can all see that it was a joke meant in a fun and not a vindictive manner, so why don't we all kiss and make up?  :) :-*

I guess I'm a peacemaker. I like everyone on the board, and I hate when people fight. Can't we all get along?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
Also, for the love of digital text, can we only have *one* active Superfly thread at a time?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2005, 02:02:29 AM »
No, because only one is the real superfly thread :)

What about those of us who don't pick up on voice inflections and body movements?