Local Authors > Reading Excuses

Your Background

<< < (86/87) > >>

orestes:
Hi everyone.

I go by Justin. I found this forum while perusing Brandon Sanderson's website.

I've done the writing group thing a few times. Both groups I was involved in dissolved due to either critique disagreements verging on fistfights or people acting out a nuclear holocaust as a result of aforementioned critiques. I don't believe, however, that either method truly worked to improve their writing, but alas, so it goes.

I've written for a long time, well over a decade now, but don't consider myself a veteran. I've won a few awards for short stories here and there (literary fiction), but I'm still awaiting the day I arrive at that dreamy moment when I receive an OK on a manuscript. I like to think comets and meteors will crisscross and festoon over the sky when that happens, though, for now, they seem to form a huge fist, flipping me off (and I think that fist is my own).

As of now I'm an Intermedia Sculpture student at the UofU.

I have gone on several hiatuses throughout my writing "career," though the last (and the longest) one spanned a year and a half in the wake of my disillusion of my formerly declared English major. I found myself yearning for fantasy and science fiction, though I still often read literature, particularly South American literature. I have written three/four novels (do tens of thousands of freewriting account for something as well?), but all remain unpublished and to this day rest at the bottom of my desk drawer. I've finally found my voice again, and wish to explore a world and story I've been actively imagining for a decade.

What I write is dark, speculative, and introspective.

yoringel:
hallo,
iīm a newbie in this forum and in writing generally .
donīt know if you have to start writing as a child to become an author. many authors have always written.
i didnīt and iīm just learning.
i come from a more visual field and always have drawn my stories . i study costume design and would like to earn my living as an illustrator. but at both of these jobs you are working with other peoples stories . this can be much fun if you work with the right people. but i would like to tell my own stories. so - here i am , trying to learn all about writing.

hm is there something else to tell? well iīm a big reader (ok more a audiobook listener) like everyone here i guess. i read in all genres but i think in my own work i will always be a sci-fi/fantasy/horror geek ;-) . i would like to write children-picture-books or books for young adults (and of course publish those).
at the moment itīs the end of the semester, there is much to do and iīm illustrating a story of a friend . iīm still in the research-stage for my own story and hope i will start to write in the semester holidays. i would like to write in english, what is not my mother tongue, because i just want to get better in english, most of the books i read  are in english - so i have in writing more the rhythm of the english language and i would like to move to the uk, usa or canada ... or sweden (but iīm awfully bad in learning new languages XD )

oh and partly why iīm here - do you know this situation? :
i just meet with friends in the university or with my parents and i begin to say
"i just read a new book..." and everyone goes īnot againī .
 and when i get to  "... itīs so well written and i didnīt see the end coming and how the author uses here and here the words - this is genies"..." they are only half listening.
and when i then begin with "oh and then i listen to this sci-fi book but itīs really not sci-fi how you think it is" - then i lost them.
so itīs nice to find a forum like this ;-) !

so, thats my life (and wishes) in short ;-) - hello everyone

globalbergonzi:
Hi I'm new here, but have been listening to Writing Excuses since Season 3.

I have a thing for hard science fiction, hence why I write a lot of short stories revolving around hard science fact. My first work, which is now lost, was a Halo Fan fiction, but since then I have only worked on original stories. I was the director for an audio drama anthology show called "Seminar" (produced by pendant productions). One of my short stories was adapted, by myself, into a short. You can find the episode that features my adapted story here:

http://www.pendantaudio.com/seminareps/Seminar38web.mp3

(Mine is the second story, titled "No")

The original ending is different from the one in the audio version.

Anyway, I look forward to reading all of your stories.

The story I'm working on now is a fantasy with some real science. The premise came out of the idea of reversing of magic with science. Basically, science is fiction and magic is fact. But, that soon turned into a story where a world outlaws science. And only magic is allowed. But, the magic is split into two categories, mage and wizard magic. I'm not sure if this is going to be a novel or a novella. But, it's my first project that isn't planned as a short story or screenplay/audio play.

–Michael B.

Lucid:
Hi everyone.  :)

I'm new here. I'm 35, married, and mom to five awesome kids.

I write Urban Fantasy. I've been writing since I was a kid but nothing serious until last year. I'm now on my fourth novel since October. Let's just say the others were a real learning curve.

I'm really hoping to get an agent this year.  So far, I'm only 1/3 of the way done with the book I'm working on now, so I've got a long way to go. I also have the others, which I may end up trying to do some editing on but those stories need so much work that it would be easier to set them all on fire.

I love to read Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy and any free moments not spent on writing are spent reading.

This isn't my first crit group experience, but none of the other groups lasted very long. I'm hoping this one lasts for a long time.

Celeste

Amnonian:
Hello all.  :)
I write epic fantasy, and am currently also toying with romance.
I have a bad habit of abandoning my stories for new ones. My longest draft is 20k words.
That's my first time in an online writing group, and I'm hoping to have a fun (and productive) time.  ;)
- Amnonian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version