Author Topic: So...what's everyone reading?  (Read 39579 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: So...what's everyone reading?
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2004, 07:34:09 PM »
if I remember class discussions accurately, I enjoyed the book, but it enraged Fuzzy.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2004, 08:16:57 PM »
Many things enrage me, but I don't think Canticle was one of them.  It depressed me, as I recall.  But I could be wrong.

Perhaps I was enraged because I dislike authors who are so nihilistic.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2004, 09:53:36 PM »
Nope, it enraged me.  It was the most depressing book I've ever read, and it made me mad too.  

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2004, 10:01:22 PM »
I thought it was you that was enraged, Brenna, but I have such a hard time picturing you enraged over anything other than someone you love being messed with.  ;)

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2004, 10:01:35 PM »
ok, i guess what i remember is vociferous dislike.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2004, 11:14:22 PM »
Well, I finished it. I liked the first part. Didn't so much like the second and third part. Overall I don't think I'd recommend it as a must-read.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2004, 12:30:18 AM »
lol, Fuzzy.  Yeah, I don't get enraged over much.  Which is probably a good thing, in the long run... :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2004, 02:04:30 AM »
I just finished rereading Cyteen by CJ Cherryh. If you didn't know, it was a Hugo winner, and reading it again reminds me why. The book is about psycological cloning, raising someone's clone with the same sorts of influences the original person had in order to make their mind capable of the same pattern of thought.

It's in the same universe as another of her Hugo winners, Downbelow Station, and makes reference to another book, 40,000 in Gehenna. Downbelow Station is a great read and also highly recommended, but I actually have never read 40,000 in Gehenna for some reason. I'll have to correct that eventually. But not reading it doesn't affect appreciation of this book (there are no shared characters).

The universe these are all in is the Alliance-Union universe; Downbelow Station is about the war between Earth, its star colonies (including the fledgling breakaway republic Union--based on the planet Cyteen--which has soldiers grown in artificial tanks and trained from birth using subliminal tapes, and which also was the home of the scientist who invented FTL in Cherryh's universe), and the merchanter ship families who just want to make an honest living trading from station to station. The book Cyteen happens a few decades after the end of the war and involves the scientists and politicians of the company on Cyteen that's responsible for the tank-gestated and tape-taught people. It probably doesn't matter which order you read them in. They're very different and don't have overlapping characters either.

I only have one problem with Cyteen the book, and that is that there is only about half a page of denouement at the end. It just builds and builds up to a final bang, and what happens next is left entirely up to our imagination. It gives hints of possible sequels directly involving these characters, but there's been no sign of such a book coming since then. Cherryh has written many books after that, some of them in the same universe, but none from the Union point of view. Currently she's been writing sequels to her novel Foreigner, which is not connected to the Alliance-Union universe (though I think she could have connected it without too much difficulty; many of her other books are more loosely connected to the universe though perhaps thousands of years along the timeline); I think she's on the 8th book in that series right now--you can follow her blog with "today's word count" at cherryh.com (though it seems she's spending more time learning to ice skate right now than write). But I do hope she revisits it in the future.

Cherryh is one of my two favorite writers (the other being Lois McMaster Bujold) and the writer who is most represented among my collection of hardback books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2004, 02:04:36 PM »
That's  kinda sad; a good denouement is a very nice thing, assuming the author does it right, and I can spell it right.  Otherwise it's just a denouncement.   ;D

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2004, 04:42:28 PM »
/me whispers to fuzzy... Your sig is a Slant quote, not Gemm.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 04:43:18 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2004, 04:53:07 PM »
*shakes head*

Ok, since that's the SECOND time I've done that it has to be the avatars.  Gemm, find a cool avatar.

Though you have to admit, it does sound like something gemm would say...

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2004, 04:58:15 PM »
I like my avatar.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2004, 05:01:48 PM »
So... now that classes are over, what am I going to be reading?  So glad you asked.  I had a little Half.com binge to celebrate the end of my college career, and to mourn the end of Half.com which is coming in August.

So this is what's on my reading list:

The Horse of Selene - Juanita Casey  (I actually know little about this book, but Jacqueline Carey said it's her favorite book and I love her writing, so....)

Alice in Quantumland - Robert Gilmore (excellent book.  Not actually fiction, really, but I love it)

The Romulan Way - Diane Duane (Yep, a Star Trek pb, and one of my favorites. I had a copy, but it apparently decided to take a Dutch leave, and I figured it's better to have 2 copies than none)

Dog is My Co-pilot - (a collection of essays about dogs, which I bought soley for the essay by Pam Houston, since NO library has this book, and I'm dying to read it.)

The Battle of Evernight - Cecilia Dart-Thornton  (because I figured I ought to finish the series eventually)

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2004, 11:19:05 AM »
I'm currently on chapter 2 of Lord of the Flies (for school). It's alright, so far, but at least the action picks up faster than that slow moving novel Great Expectations...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 11:19:14 AM by samdaman360 »
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2004, 02:26:47 PM »
I remember reading Lord of the Flies, I also remember going out and renting the movie instead of finisheing it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.