Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 34349 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2003, 06:21:30 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 06:21:45 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2003, 10:11:54 AM »
Ok, ok ok ok. Everyone should listen to this. Ivan Rebroff's Cossack Patrol. Oh it is magnifick. Now go, listen to it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2003, 12:46:08 AM »
I just finished watching/listening to G&S' great The Pirates of Penzance, and on top of Kevin Kline's amazing performance, I remembered exactly how many GREAT songs there are in that play. Pirate King, Major General, Tarantara, Paradox, and one of the most hilariously shouted "NO SOUND AT ALL! WE DON'T SPEAK A WORD!" etc. heheh, yeah.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2003, 03:46:26 AM »
I thought you said musicals were too girly.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2003, 12:29:52 PM »
Quiet you!

It's an Operetta. Not a musical.

Plus it's more manly. It's about pirates, and only about love tangentally. Plus it's a satire.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2003, 02:40:57 PM »
Saint, are there other musicals that you like?

My husband can't stand musicals, so maybe he might like Penzance too....

Hmm
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2003, 03:45:50 PM »
Pirates of Penzance is easier to take because it doesn't take any time out to be "artsy" like Singin' in the Rain or a hundred others do. When it is artsy, it's purely satire, at least in my favorite version (starring Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, and Angela Landsbury), where they make references to Elvis and some other pop by using echoes and such. when Mabel does her major virtuoso solo, Fredrick is getting frustrated because he's trying to kiss her. Every time she pauses, he leans in, but then she starts.

Now: there IS artsy stuff. Kevin Kline does some amazing dance stuff, as do the policemen, but it's FUNNY. More like Danny Kaye than Fred Astaire.

Anyway, I think that Guys and Dolls is a passable musical, but that's partially because I saw it with my wife at the Kennedy Center. And I enjoyed Les Mis, though the novel (especially if you can cut out 50 page descriptions of the layout of the Battle of Waterloo and the whole sewer/bowels metaphor) was far superior.

I don't hate musicals as much as I sound like I do. It's just really easy to mock Fell that he is "out of the closet" about his musical liking.

But if he doesn't like musicals, it may just be a macho thing, and you may never get him over it.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2003, 05:46:49 PM »
It's not a macho thing with him- he just cannot accept people bursting into song for no reason.   The singing interrupts his watching of the show, therefore it always annoys him and he doesn't enjoy watching musicals.  I just can't understand it, because in *my* reality it's perfectly normal to burst into song at any moment.  (I think it's partly my psyche, and partly being raised on Sesame Street).

He did, however, enjoy Moulin Rouge and Chicago, so I figure there has to be *some* hope.

I forced him to watch Joseph & the Technicolor dreamcoat, and while he laughed from time to time, he didn't particularly like it.

I also forced him to watch The Sound of Music, because he'd never seen it, and in my book that's criminal.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 05:48:41 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2003, 06:40:06 PM »
Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables are operettas as well.

And fuzzy, maybe he would like operettas better because no one "bursts" into song, they are always singing.

I made my husband sit down and watch Gone With the Wind, despite his tragic experience with the book in 8th grade where his teacher tried to convince the class that Scarlett was this amazing hero (huh ???). He liked it a little better as I pointed out that GWtW is more like a Greek Tragedy, but mostly because I was free to admit that Scarlett is no hero.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2003, 09:29:33 PM »
You've got to pick the right musicals, where the songs are an extension of the talking rather than a randomly-inserted dance number. Phantom of the Opera, though it tries to integrate song into story, isn't going to win any fans over to musicals.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2003, 09:43:30 PM »
Hrm... I hadn't thought of it that way, but I think you're at least partially right, Fell. It does help explain my choices.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2003, 01:28:48 PM »
Funny thing is, much as I'm a fan of musicals, I prefer conversational music, too, over the random-dance-number bit. Though I also love Gene Kelly and Judy Garland with all my heart, random or not. Most of the songs in Meet Me In St. Louis, for example, are part of the storyline, as opposed to Singin' in the Rain, in which that 20-minute dream sequence in the middle is only mildly related to the plot, as it's the characters' descriptions of what should happen in the movie.

I think of watching musicals sort of the way I think of fantasy: suspension of disbelief. These people live in an alternate universe in which ideas are expressed through song half the time, and in which sometimes the entire community knows the song of one's heart.  ;D
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2003, 01:40:21 PM »
riiiight....

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2003, 02:03:29 PM »
or, you could just say "supension of disbelief" and leave it there

I love musicals, though I have to say that Fred Astaire is my favorite.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2003, 06:56:36 PM »
See, it's not suspension of disbelief for me.  I firmly believe in a world where people sing at random times for any reason at all.  I LIVE in a world where that happens, much to the amusement of my husband.  Therefore musicals are usually fine for me.