Author Topic: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread  (Read 45783 times)

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2006, 01:03:49 PM »
Costco actually has really good food.  Still have two slots in my hotel room to fill- if you go, then only one more.
See you there, I hope.
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2006, 04:04:34 PM »
Christopher: you're in luck! I am broke and can't go to WorldCon. :( So if you wanna buy my membership, that would be awesome! Just email me and we can work out the details to transfer the membership. shrain78 @ yahoo. com
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2006, 03:50:36 AM »
I don't fly out till Monday morning, so if you came to SD Sunday night that would be fun. I won't have any transportation so you'd have to meet me there. I'm staying in the Marriott by the convention center.

Uh, I realized that San Diego is still 2 hours away from New Port. So it's looking kind of unlikely. But I'll keep in touch with you--maybe it will work out!
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2006, 01:26:39 PM »
Stacer, I dropped you a private message.

I kind of assume chimera isn't anxious to meet me...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
Actually, I'd be happy to.  ;D

I assumed if I could get together with stacer, if you were available, you and your wife would come along too.

But, like I said, it's looking less and less likely...
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2006, 03:46:43 PM »
Maybe it's a little too late, but shouldn't you three make a comic-con thread for this discussion?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2006, 05:37:09 PM »
There actually was one somewhere, but we lost it. Sorry for the tangent. I'm leaving this afternoon, so that conversation is essentially over.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2006, 01:49:46 PM »
And I still have room in my car.
Oldie, do you still have room in your car? How I'm going to get to LA is still my biggest question.

Anyone else driving down who I could catch a ride with if Oldie isn't driving?

Costco actually has really good food.  Still have two slots in my hotel room to fill- if you go, then only one more.
See you there, I hope.
Yes, I need a place to stay. Let me know on a guess on splitting room cost so I can budget for it.

Christopher: you're in luck! I am broke and can't go to WorldCon. :( So if you wanna buy my membership, that would be awesome! Just email me and we can work out the details to transfer the membership. shrain78 @ yahoo. com
Shrain, sounds good. I'll send you an e-mail later today. That's an "attending" membership, right? Do you know how to transfer those? What was it? $150, $175?

Thanks to everyone. It will be fun...I'm looking forward to it.

Here's the e-mail address to get ahold of me:  EDITED ON 1/24/08 . E-MAIL NO LONGER USED
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:09:31 PM by Christopher »
"Magic? That's not magic! I did that with blood, sweat, and tears."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2006, 06:37:30 PM »
Okay, let's do this official like.  I'll start listing the cars on the first page.  Oldie, who's in your car, and how much room do you have, and which day are you leaving?

Everyone else, post if you have room, if you are driving, and which days you'll be at the con.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2006, 09:10:13 PM »
Email sent, Christopher. I'm sure everyone will help you get the ride and hotel sorted out. :)

Oh, and EUOL, can you remove me from the list since I'm too broke to make it there? (I spent my last penny on two copies of Mistborn, you see. What a great wedding present, huh! ;))
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »
Okay, let's do this official like.  I'll start listing the cars on the first page.  Oldie, who's in your car, and how much room do you have, and which day are you leaving?

Everyone else, post if you have room, if you are driving, and which days you'll be at the con.

Ok. Here's the rundown:

My SUV seats 8 including the driver. I have room for 7 people on the way up, but I'm picking up my three boys in California for the return trip so I'll only have room for 4 on the way back. We can stagger between coming/going or I can do 4 people round-trip. The only person that has a confirmed spot right now is BLCDrayco.

My departure times are negotiable. Right now I'm planning on leaving for Cali on Tuesday (the 22nd) morning-ish, and leaving to return to Utah on the 27th. My only reason for leaving on Sunday is that I'd like to visit the ward I grew up in, but I'm willing to forego that since there are extenuating circumstances. (Don't ask.)

Any takers?

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »
I'm leaving Wednesday after work (5pm or so) from Orem.  Staying in Vegas overnight, hitting Star Trek: The Experience Thursday morning and plan to arrive in LA in that afternoon.

Driving back all the way on Sunday.

I've got room for three more each way.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2006, 02:28:36 AM »
Hey Euol, can I jump in your car for a ride both directions?

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »
EOUL.....I would also like to ride with you...because if would be better for me to leave Wednesday instead of Tuesday. Please put me on your list.

Also, I have a question about WorldCon memberships for you. I just sent you a PM.

Chris
"Magic? That's not magic! I did that with blood, sweat, and tears."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2006, 04:04:39 PM »
Folks,

Problem is, the entire writing group hit me up for seats.  How about this.  Oldie, why don't we caravan?  That's better anyway.  We'll all meet in a central location, split up by car, and keep an eye out for each other as we go.  

EDIT
I added Old One's car and Eric's car.  I just assumed that Old One would be able to chance leaving until Wednesday, since she said she was flexible.  Eric, I think that I'll have at least one taker for your car on the way out.  Either way, would you be willing to take back the extras from Charisa's car who can't come back in her car because of the kids?  If you decide to caravan back with us, that might be really convenient.  

Charisa, I'm thinking that we might be able to work sending seven with you on the way, then having Eric grab the extras on the way back.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:12:48 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch