Author Topic: getting their hate on...  (Read 1768 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
getting their hate on...
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »
[11:52] BenReilly: I've just been told to repent, seriously, for playing roleplaying games
[11:52] BenReilly: exactly what level of smack down should I employ?
[11:53] BenReilly: I hate those idiots
[11:53] poetgirl: RPG? of the devil????
[11:53] poetgirl: u kiddin right?
[11:53] BenReilly: it's people like that who remove all mystery from why so many people hate Christians
[11:53] BenReilly: "Yah man Jack Chick Roxxor! LOLZ!"

so discuss. What should my reaction be to this fool?

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: getting their hate on...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:48:27 PM »
I'm afraid I don't fully understand the context...
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:55:30 PM »
BenReilly=me
that was me presenting it in a chat room. I was told to repent in an online forum because I roleplay.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 02:13:19 PM »
Well you could have told them to repent for judging you, since thats gods job and not theirs. Then you could have told them to mind their own buisness, or related to them the parable of the opinion, and explained how everyone has one.

Or you could have just said cast the first stone sinner...

but that could have been inflamatory
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »
This reminds me distinctly of an article that was just published in the UVSC newspaper.  No, I don't attend school there, but my sister and her husband do.  It's a little long, but a good example of how closed minded people can be...or how badly what might have been meant as a joke can be displayed.

spacer        
The quill and the sword

by Nick Johnson
February 26, 2006

This is serious, very serious. It is a time to be afraid, or maybe just ashamed. A great evil is spreading across Happy Valley. Believe it or not, its dark hand can now be seen befouling our fair campus. Why have the leaders of our school let this go unopposed? Why has the President done nothing? Why UVSC? Why God, why?

They have already become entrenched at the "Y;" we cannot let UVSC share the same awful fate. It is time to take a stand, time to stop this horrible menace before it spreads any further. In the last few weeks I have seen an ever-increasing number of "them" around campus.

This insidious group is known as the "Quill and the Sword." They can be recognized by a few characteristics. They can frequently be seen carrying wooden swords, often holstered through the belt loop of their jeans. Many of the bolder ones have been known to wear latex elf ears to school. Their females often wear dresses from the freaking Middle Ages. They can also be recognized by the two primary physical effects of this dark plague. These symptoms include an unusually high occurrence of acne and increasingly bad vision, often necessitating the use of glasses.

At great personal risk I have infiltrated their organization. My preliminary research has given me some ideas how this infection is spread. They will start by harmlessly asking you to play a game of "Magic" or "Dungeons and Dragons." Maybe they will invite you over to watch Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter. This is how it begins.

My early findings also indicate one single antidote. As you may have already guessed, ridicule is the only remedy. Constant, unrelenting ridicule is the only weapon we have to stop them.

I urge you to action... today, while there is still time! What will the world think if we let this embarrassing blight remain on the fine veneer of our campus? As for me, if I begin exhibiting any of these symptoms I beg you to do what needs to be done. I would certainly do it for any of you. Why is it okay to bring a replica sword or battle-ax to school? Anyone who brought a machine gun or pistol would be dismissed immediately, or sent directly to jail. All I know is that if I see any more of them, I will be forced to skewer them with their own wooden sword. I don't like it, but someone must do it, and I for one have never hesitated to defend my community. After all, "it is better that one [elf] perish, then a whole [college] dwindle in [this absurdity]." It is really in their best interest as well as ours.

In addition to the aforementioned measures, I propose that we create a new school amendment banishing all appearances of this evil. This would include all the infractions listed above, as well as: books by Robert Jordan and Christopher Paolini, all fantasy computer games, Mystery Science Theatre and any associated movie soundtracks.

-------------

I think one of the best responses to such a situation that I've heard came from Steven C. Walker when a college noticed he was reading Earthsea and gave him grief.  His response was:  "I read fantasy because I like it."  And that was bout the size of that.  You roleplay because you like it, and if God has a problem with that it's a problem between you and him.

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 04:09:33 PM »
I was just going to mention that editorial.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 05:14:46 PM »
I have to assume that the editorial was a joke. There's not a single sentence that appears to take itself seriously.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »
I certainly hope that it was a joke, but I think the ideas, take literally, are much like those that came up in the repent for RPGs commentary.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 06:40:59 PM »
E - at worst you should just ignore the guy/gal/whoever.  At best, you might attempt to educate the person.  They obviously have some misconceptions.  That's just my opinion.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:37:02 PM »
If it is a joke, it's a pretty clever one.  Some of those lines are great!
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:43:33 PM »
Invite him to watch a sesson, and have everyone wear devil costumes. Fun for everyone.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 12:15:00 AM »
Tell them that if only people who don't roleplay, read Fantasy or Sci Fi, or play computer games get into heaven, it isn't really heaven then is it?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus