Author Topic: column: The Nerdery #13  (Read 1667 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
column: The Nerdery #13
« on: February 08, 2005, 10:11:29 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=976

And don't GM when you're about to pass out from loss of sleep. However, continuing to run the game after the ranger has fallen asleep is acceptable.

Seriously, preparation is so much of it. And I cannot agree more with the using the character back story. It really makes a player excited about the game. I love that.

One thing I would add on that note is that the player needs to PROVIDE a back story. Don't have just some mysterious drug user. If you don't know what your character's back story is, no one else does, and there's no motivation in it.

One more thing: Story is always cooler than ultimate power. Are you ever impressed by the guy that blew up half of Ansalon? No. Are you impressed by the struggles of a character who meets challenges worthy of him and then defeats them? Yes.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: column: The Nerdery #13
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 01:02:37 AM »
Ah, the all night and day campaign. That was fun. It's something I would want to do again with the right group and some good food.

I think I agree with almost all of Mr. P's remarks.
I do think that all GMs should learn to adjunct and be spontaneous, not so much for the entire session, but more so for short periods. Mostly because it is a serious session killer when the players take an unexpected action and the GM gets frustrated. I've seen whole campaigns and gaming groups dissolve because the GM felt to intimidated to run a bit of ad hoch adventuring.

I think the best way to go about this is to ask for a moment to think and make you plans, send the players out for pizza if you have to . Then ad hoch the adventure for a bit trying to steer the players back into your traps. But being flexible is absolutely crucial. It just not really possible to plan for everything the players will attempt.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 11:51:21 AM »
I have a friend who never does anything I expect him to in games--even if I try to plan for other weird eventualities, he always does something else. It drives me nuts, but it did teach me more about how to wing it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »
I've seen whole campaigns and gaming groups dissolve because the GM felt to intimidated to run a bit of ad hoch adventuring.

See, if they would just run ad hooch campaigns, then the players would be too drunk to notice.

I think you're right 42, both skills are needed. I think that if a GM does his prep right, he'll be better prepared to wing it. That means not planning a very linear adventure where there's only one way, but it means preparing for several different options. If you thought of different ways the scenario can change, you will know it better, and be better able to deal with new ideas, since your conception of consequences will be more fleshed out.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 01:45:20 PM »
I've heard it suggested that a GM always keep three adventures ready to run, all different enough yet pliable enough that you'll be covered no matter what the characters want to do. Seems like a lot of work, but it could be very effective.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 11:30:38 PM »
That does sound like it would be interesting but it would definitely be a lot of work.

I guess this is as good as any place to brinng this up.
What about preparing in-game games? You know where you are running a session and have the characters go through a game. Like you have the characters become chess pieces, so you play a game of chess to represent the chess game while you are playing your rpg game.

I'm kind of torn about this. I like the idea because it provides variety, but there is the argument that you are getting together to play D&D, Gurps, Palladium etc...
So, thoughts?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 09:23:38 AM »
as long as a game within the larger game session doesn't become the focus of the nights gaming, I think it's good.

ideally, however, you would find a way to make the game influencable by the skillsets the PCs have.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 09:24:20 AM by SaintEhlers »

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 06:32:52 PM »
With the group I game with the unexpected is the norm.  Ad hoc is a requirement.

But for me as a GM some of my favorite times are when the characters are presented with an in game time where they could plan and coordinate their actions.  During such an instance I have the characters make all their preparations where I can't observe their planning, have them record any extra-special plans on paper (such as time consuming rituals, etc.) and hand me the paper when they return.  Then, we pick-up where we left off.  This gives me the chance to plan, and gives the players the chance to push the plot, thus making my job easier.

This still requires preparation however, as the NPC's encountered must be significantly developed so as to be able to counter anything the players might throw at them.

All in all I really enjoy free-from GMing.  It makes these fantasies more realistic.
Boogie woogie woogie!!