Author Topic: The Legend of Zorro  (Read 2527 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
The Legend of Zorro
« on: November 04, 2005, 03:01:01 PM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zorro
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:47:54 PM »
I cant help but feel that this movie would have been better if Robert Rodriguez had directed it.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »
i wasn't too thrilled with the first one, i am probably going to miss this one too.
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 10:11:58 PM »
I cant help but feel that this movie would have been better if Robert Rodriguez had directed it.

I think Robert Rodriguez very possibly could have made the film substantially worse than it was, and that is saying something. I don't get why people like him so much. It doesn't impress me in the least that he made "El Mariachi" for $7,000 when it looks like he made it for $700, and "From Dusk 'Till Dawn" is a travesty. I'll admit that "Sin City" had some impressive visuals, but in general I think very little of him as a director.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 10:12:26 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 10:22:57 PM »
Your entitled to your opinion of Dusk Till Dawn... I liked it though.

Spy Kids was certainly fun. In fact Spy Kids 2 was actually fun.

And Sin City was awesome.

so

but the first Zorro blew chunks, so I hold no gripping desire to see a second one.

Bow down to my unreasoning demands!!!!

And the director of the new Zorro certainly hasnt done anything that I would consider good... unless you count his episode of Reily Ace of Spys
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 10:42:39 PM by ElJeffe »

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 11:24:42 PM »
"The Mask of Zorro" was what it was - the essence of classic "Zorro." It sounds to me like you didn't want something that was true to the feel of Zorro.

I like "Mask of Zorro" and "GoldenEye," though they do both drag in places. "GoldenEye" certainly isn't a great film, but no Bond movie ever was.

Frankly, "Sin City" and "From Dusk 'Til Dawn" are two of the only movies I have ever walked out on in my life. "Sin City" was very well done, but it was too graphic for my personal taste (again, I think it was an impressive peice of filmmaking) and "Dusk" was stupid BEFORE they started turning into vampires. As soon as that happened, I refused to watch the rest of it.

Again, all of this opinion, and everyone has their own.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 02:51:36 AM »
I liked the first Zorro. I would like to see this one, but I've been kind of feeling like it was one to wait to hit the Dollar Theater, and after reading this review I think I'll do that.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »
"The Mask of Zorro" was what it was - the essence of classic "Zorro." It sounds to me like you didn't want something that was true to the feel of Zorro.

No

It wasnt the essence of classic Zorro. Im a classic Zorro fan, back to the black and white TV days.

The Mask of Zorro bothered me because of the boring and phoned in performances by everyone in the cast including Anthony Hopkins. Most people were distracted by the acting of Zeta Jones heaving bosum which gave the best performance of the movie, that or Banderas's pectorals. The effects were boring, and the story a real snoozer.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 11:44:56 AM by ElJeffe »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 12:33:49 PM »
I liked the first Zorro movie, it was a fun popcorn flick.  I'm not a Zorro Expert so I'll take Jeffe's word at they're different.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »
Having seen quite a lot of zorro, ranging from the Disney show to Zorro: The Gay Blade, I have to vociferously disagree with Jeffe. I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie, but I can't think of any errors or significant problems with it. It was, over all, a good flick, and pretty true to the feel of Zorro across the board.

Dusk Till Dawn, though, ew. I mean, I've really only seen the vampire part, which was pretty ridiculous and stupid. I'm told that leading up to the vampire part is the good bit, but if that's the case, why am I watching a vampire flick if the only good bits are those without vampires?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 09:39:32 AM »
I guess we can agree to disagree on Zorro. Although I thought cultured Don Diego in the Disney Series was a lot more compelling than the ex convict Don Diego in the movie. Its like if batman had been a Street Punk instead of a Billionaire (Robin).  Maybe its just that I think the Fairbanks version is the best. But Im pretty sure I wont be watching the new one.

Dusk till Dawn wasnt any worse than the Creepshow series of movies, which were pretty entertaining... The best part about it was that they werent below making Vampires cheezy, and chewing up all the stupid cliches that make Vampire movies kind of dumb. And they did it a lot better than Mel Brook's Dracula parody.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 09:46:47 AM by ElJeffe »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 11:24:20 AM »
well, to be fair, it's more like Bruce Wayne got arrested and spend a very long time in jail, then broke out and taught a street punk to replace him as Batman.

THe Don Diego at the beginning of MoZ IS the cultured Don Diego. His identity is revealed, and he spends a couple decades in jail, finally breaking out. So he can't exactly return to his money.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 01:10:42 PM »
the real Zorro would have never been captured.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 01:19:02 PM »
weak.

fellsmum

• Level 3
  • I know all and what color it spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 07:49:36 PM »
I object to the notion that Anthony Hopkins was hopelessly miscast in the first Zorro. He was excellent and played each emotion and scene perfectly.