Author Topic: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art  (Read 29521 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking news on A Memory of Light: three volumes (maybe) & cover art
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2009, 09:53:36 PM »
You people need to take your spoilers elsewhere please.  Or at least LABEL THEM!  This topic is about it being split and the cover art.  GAH! 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Rrikor

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
Did you pick up the first book yet miyabi?  Just don't read Joe C's thread.  I labeled my spoiler in here.  :D

On Topic:

As far as the multiple book thing goes Brandon now has the progress bar for revising The Gathering Storm at 100% so I guess he is done with that book and it will be released to the printers soon to get ready to release on November 9th.  I have to go preorder mine soon.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »
i have been way non-spoiler. <points finger at the others>

really though, their stuff isn't much. i wouldn't worry about it. it's really no more than the generic responses to your questions on that other thread. and yeah, dont read JoeC's thread.

As far as the book 12, Brandon said he was finishing up with final edits. I'm gonna have to ask Brandon about his first signing for it.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2009, 10:12:52 PM »
Yeah i want a signed book too!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »
Did you pick up the first book yet miyabi?  Just don't read Joe C's thread.  I labeled my spoiler in here.  :D

On Topic:

As far as the multiple book thing goes Brandon now has the progress bar for revising The Gathering Storm at 100% so I guess he is done with that book and it will be released to the printers soon to get ready to release on November 9th.  I have to go preorder mine soon.

Yeah, I have a topic in the books section about my read-through.  I am currently on chapter 11. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2009, 01:33:07 AM »
I hope your enjoying the book Miyabi :)

and I hope I didn't spoil anything for you.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

daschaich

• Level 1
  • Still the band plays on (relieved!)
    • View Profile
    • physics.bu.edu/~schaich
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2009, 03:29:10 AM »
Sorry to go off-topic, but I gotta show some love for Pat.

Anyway, I'm glad that they have a plan, and we have at least a concept of what will occur. We should all thank Brandon for killing himself on this. At least he's not pulling a Pat Rothfuss (Who said -- my book isn't done. It will be done when I say it's done. Now kindly go sit on tacks. -- or something marginally less tactful.) Brandon actually seems to care about deadlines and other people's expectations. Kudos to him.

I've always found Pat's comments on the delay of his next book to be (excessively) self-effacing and apologetic.  (For instance, here and here.)

So far as I've seen, Pat has always been open and honest about his plans and progress (if not in as much detail as Brandon).  He has my respect and full support.

pebbles1984

• Level 1
    • View Profile
AMOL Split
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »
Ok, I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about AMOL and just want is released already, but this is my first post on the forums and I wanted to make a suggestion about the titles of the three AMOL books. I read Brandon's Blog post on his main website about the split, and then how he was told he could not title them all A Memory of Light with smaller Subtitles. I think this is not fair, since it's the title Robert Jordan wanted. However, I think at least one of the books should be titled AMOL. My preference would be the last one. It's kind of implied that the last battle will take place in the last book, so why name it Tarmon Gai'don? At the point just before the last battle is the most likely time for people to lose all hope, and these will seem like the darkest times. People will be remembering a time, not so long ago I think, when everything was much better and they were happier, so... I think the title would fit perfectly. I know my personal opinion doesn't count for much, but I just wanted to throw this out there, because I had several of my friends agree with me about it. so, Sanderson if you read this, just think about it.   :)

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2009, 02:47:11 PM »
3 books sounds great I need more WoT!! :)
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »
Rothfuss was a bit hard to get started for me.  The austere tone and the story within a story threw me.  As I pushed through though I have to say I was looking for more.  I think the story hooked me when he got to school.  That's a little late for a hook, but in retrospect I have to wonder if it wasn't that I'd just finished A Feast of Crows and still had The Book of the Fallen and Wheel of Time in the back of my mind.  It really wasn't a problem with The Name of the Wind as much as the don't drink orange juice after eating chocolate paradigm. ;P

I'm glad to see the cover art on the new WoT volumes is consistently good.  I know it's gotten slams but I think they are unwarranted.  And yeah if three volumes means more WoT. I'm up for that.

At what point does fan fiction become a publishable alternative look at the same mileu I wonder...?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
When the author has been dead for about 70-80 years I forget what the actual time limit is. There are sequels to Wizard of Oz being written now as an example. Some consider the Extended Universe of STar Wars books to be canon, even though none are written by George Lucas.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
If you are referring to when a non-renewed registration expires then I think that is 70 years after the demise of the last copyholder under the treaty.  But I was being half-way facetious.  There was an author who did books about Middle Earth in the 80's dunno how long Tolkien was deceased, but I know it was not 70 years, although he would have fallen under the old standard, so maybe you are right.  Maybe people's sensibilities won't accept any Wheel related works until Tor is defunct for 70 years. ;P

(PS didn't want to suggest the other more gruesome reality)

You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: AMOL Split
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
This should be in Brandon's forum--the suggestions forum is for the entire TWG forum or TWG site.

Personally I like your suggestion but it depends on whether or not the first two books also say "book one/two of A Memory of Light" on the cover (like the mockup does). In that case it wouldn't make sense for the third book to be titled "A Memory of Light" and also say "book three of A Memory of Light."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »
im not a big fan of the WoT artist, Sweet. The covers are very meh to me, and it seems like all of the humans he paints look like monsters (which would be great for a horror novel...). he does, however,  have a good use of color which draws the eye.

i will say though, it is still better than the terrible US covers for the Erikson series (Malazan Book of the Fallen). aside from book 2 (which uses the UK cover), the US covers are soooo horrid. Lockwood made those covers like they were an afterthought, or something he just happened to have in his "paintings that suck but might serve purpose somewhere" pile. This is why I import all Erikson novels from the UK where the covers are amazing.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »
I'm sick of people who write on a series they have no business writing on...the only acceptable excuses to hijack someones work is with there express consent (or there spouses b/c they died with-out completing it) or previously working on it with the author (such as Frank Herberts's son)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz